Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2002dk View Post
I'd like it if we could see the leaderboards in a contest before paying the entrance fee
That would be difficult with the current system. The reason we don't show it currently is that the groups are of a defined size (usually groups of 100 people), and until you register for the event we don't know in which group you're going to be assigned.

Last edited by yome; 10-23-2014 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by yome View Post
That would be difficult with the current system. The reason we don't show it currently is that the groups are of a defined size (usually group of 100 people), and until you register for the event we don't know in which group you're going to be assigned.
Oh, i didn't realize it were fixed sized pools

Makes sense

Love the game
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 8.x

Default Game Impressions

Been playing Pocket Road Trip since it was announced through Pocket Mine. So far, I am up to 56 of 83 cars in the Museum, level 212, and I find the game interesting enough to keep playing. No complaints, just a few observations and notes on strategy:

--Purchased the double gas for $2.99, which seems like a fair price of admission for a reasonable duration of game play. One can always fill up the gas for 5 gold bars, so the gas is an interesting game constraint rather than an obstacle.
--It seems an effective strategy is to accumulate cars and sell the level 1 cars until you have upwards of 10k cash, at least initially. Then, save the level 3 through 5 cars and fuse with level 2 cars (or with duplicates of levels 3-5). Beginning with the highest level cars, I worked my way down, raising all level 4 and 5 cars to Max.
--Once my garage was up to 55 slots, that allowed me to keep one each of all the level 3-5 cars and sell/fuse level 1-2 cars as needed to max out the less common cars.
--Currently, I have maxed out all the level 3 through 5 cars I have encountered, and am working my way through the level 2 cars, using a similar strategy of selling/fusing all level 1 cars and selling/fusing duplicates of any other car. 55 slots is not enough to keep all of the cars I have maxed out plus other, so I am currently selling maxed out level 2 and 3 cars to make room as needed. I rarely use these cars in races, so there seems little point in keeping them in the garage.
--With respect to gold bars, in my opinion the best use for them is to buy extra tokens when a silver crate (or whatever they are called in this game) shows up. I only buy the extra tokens when I am within two of winning a silver crate. Consider that purchasing 6 silver crates (deluxe container) costs 25 gold bars, so using the bars to buy extra tokens is more economical if you are patient, even considering sometimes it is necessary to purchase more tokens for three gold bars to fill out the silver crate. Using 5 gold bars to fill up the gas tank is not the best economical choice, but you can always earn more gold bars through missions, gaining a new level, or maxing out a car.
--Aside from just playing, it seems the game has several different objectives that a player can latch onto (for those players who are goal-oriented). One objective is to reach the highest level, which sounds like it is currently 300. Usually in these kind of games, reaching the highest level is anticlimactic, so this is not a strong motivator for me. A second objective is to accumulate all of the museum cars--this is the one I am currently most interested in. I do not see a list of cars anywhere, so I assume the 7 or 8 question marks remaining in the museum represent cars I have not yet encountered. A third objective is to win races. I currently only race in the cheap entry fee races such as the hourly 30 second sprint and hourly 2000 meter sprint. Placing in the top 50 results in a $1,000 profit. Cars that consistently can place in the top 50 include the Snake, Atlantica, Wedge, Angular and a few others that are less consistently fast over a short distance.
--I am not quite sure what the results are from fusing with toolboxes, but it seems my cars go slightly faster for awhile after fusing with toolboxes.
--The paint buckets are interesting, but mostly just fill up garage spaces as I don't care very much about car color.

Overall, this is my favorite game from roofdog. I am curious to see how the game evolves over time, or if it is merely an experiment to inform future games.

One suggestion I have is to add more detailed analytics so it is possible to track record speeds, splits, # flips/jump, etc. for each car. Perhaps an in-game premium could add the ability to store and access detailed records of care runs and races by date, and to see the full results of all 100 times/ distances in a race, and even to download these.

Thanks for a great game!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowmaker View Post
Been playing Pocket Road Trip since it was announced through Pocket Mine. So far, I am up to 56 of 83 cars in the Museum, level 212, and I find the game interesting enough to keep playing. No complaints, just a few observations and notes on strategy:

--Purchased the double gas for $2.99, which seems like a fair price of admission for a reasonable duration of game play. One can always fill up the gas for 5 gold bars, so the gas is an interesting game constraint rather than an obstacle.
--It seems an effective strategy is to accumulate cars and sell the level 1 cars until you have upwards of 10k cash, at least initially. Then, save the level 3 through 5 cars and fuse with level 2 cars (or with duplicates of levels 3-5). Beginning with the highest level cars, I worked my way down, raising all level 4 and 5 cars to Max.
--Once my garage was up to 55 slots, that allowed me to keep one each of all the level 3-5 cars and sell/fuse level 1-2 cars as needed to max out the less common cars.
--Currently, I have maxed out all the level 3 through 5 cars I have encountered, and am working my way through the level 2 cars, using a similar strategy of selling/fusing all level 1 cars and selling/fusing duplicates of any other car. 55 slots is not enough to keep all of the cars I have maxed out plus other, so I am currently selling maxed out level 2 and 3 cars to make room as needed. I rarely use these cars in races, so there seems little point in keeping them in the garage.
--With respect to gold bars, in my opinion the best use for them is to buy extra tokens when a silver crate (or whatever they are called in this game) shows up. I only buy the extra tokens when I am within two of winning a silver crate. Consider that purchasing 6 silver crates (deluxe container) costs 25 gold bars, so using the bars to buy extra tokens is more economical if you are patient, even considering sometimes it is necessary to purchase more tokens for three gold bars to fill out the silver crate. Using 5 gold bars to fill up the gas tank is not the best economical choice, but you can always earn more gold bars through missions, gaining a new level, or maxing out a car.
--Aside from just playing, it seems the game has several different objectives that a player can latch onto (for those players who are goal-oriented). One objective is to reach the highest level, which sounds like it is currently 300. Usually in these kind of games, reaching the highest level is anticlimactic, so this is not a strong motivator for me. A second objective is to accumulate all of the museum cars--this is the one I am currently most interested in. I do not see a list of cars anywhere, so I assume the 7 or 8 question marks remaining in the museum represent cars I have not yet encountered. A third objective is to win races. I currently only race in the cheap entry fee races such as the hourly 30 second sprint and hourly 2000 meter sprint. Placing in the top 50 results in a $1,000 profit. Cars that consistently can place in the top 50 include the Snake, Atlantica, Wedge, Angular and a few others that are less consistently fast over a short distance.
--I am not quite sure what the results are from fusing with toolboxes, but it seems my cars go slightly faster for awhile after fusing with toolboxes.
--The paint buckets are interesting, but mostly just fill up garage spaces as I don't care very much about car color.

Overall, this is my favorite game from roofdog. I am curious to see how the game evolves over time, or if it is merely an experiment to inform future games.

One suggestion I have is to add more detailed analytics so it is possible to track record speeds, splits, # flips/jump, etc. for each car. Perhaps an in-game premium could add the ability to store and access detailed records of care runs and races by date, and to see the full results of all 100 times/ distances in a race, and even to download these.

Thanks for a great game!
When you open a toolbox, you can see what it increases (+5% speed, +2.5% spin, etc.). When you fuse them with a car, the car specs affected with that toolbox appear in blue, and you get in parenthesis what is increasing it (spoiler, engine or wheels). I still have to find a toolbox that grants wheels, I've only found spoilers and engines.

The color toolboxes are useful when you have a mission of "use/sell an X colour car", but I agree with you they mostly occupy space.

I agree with you in that it's the nicest (and most rewarding) Roofdog game.

@Devs: it would be nice if there was an option to replace museum cars with new combinations. I got a crappy military green dragster in my museum which I loathe, but it's impossible to change the image once they go into the museum.