Re-thinking app design for the iPad

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by EssentialParadox, Feb 23, 2010.

1. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
  2. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    Well that was a waste of 5 minutes...

3. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    thankfully i read this and browsed.. lots of bullshit until slide 48 - and then nothing new that anyone wouldn't be able to figure our on their own with common sense. i cannot believe people pay to see junk like this.. they call this guy an expert?

4. HappyFuntime

HappyFuntime Active Member

Aggh.. that white text on black kills my eyes.

5. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

They call him a lecturer on a university module (might be an Apple employee, I can't remember).

These slides (and accompanying video on iTunes U) are targeted at students who may have no prior knowledge of iPhone development. No one has to pay to see "junk" like this. It is all free, or part of their university course.

6. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    ok - i rephrase, i cannot believe the university pays him (salary) to write this :) but seriously, it doesn't give much concrete information - a study in HCI (human computer interaction) would be better and give more foundations as to the why usability is important - not the "buzz" around apple. i have been a lecturer at university level - and this was just junk, a complete waste of time.

7. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Its not supposed to give out much information, it is a single lecture from (judging by the course code) a first year module on iPhone development. It is meant to be very basic, and being an iPhone module, meant to target apple devices. A proper study of HCI is a separate module in itself, and definitely not something for the first year where many have never done any development of any kind.

The only possible reason it could be criticised is that a module is targeted to a specific product.

Quite often in forums on iPhone dev you see questions on how to get started. For someone with no knowledge I would recommend grabbing this course from iTunes U and watching it all. For anyone with any development experience they probably won't pick up much at all but you never know when something useful might crop up.