Sonic for iPhone....coming soon?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dannys95, May 6, 2009.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    From Gameloft's twitter.

[​IMG]

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    SWEET!!!
    Played Sonic when I was little and it was a blast.......

those 200+ hours I wasted was worth it

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Gameloft?? Oh NO!!
    Their games so far have great looks and polish, but it lacks something a Sonic game desperately needs: SENSE OF SPEED!

4. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Sonic Unleashed wasn't so hot on the consoles, so I'm not holding my breath, but I'll stay cautiously optimistic on this one.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It should've been developed from scratch by the SnailMail devs.

6. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Member

Apr 27, 2009
    awesome

hope it comes out. but why gameloft releases it not sega. I mean with Super Monkey Ball still on iTunes. or isnt it:confused:

7. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hmmmm..... June. I wonder if its going to use any of the 3.0 (or new hardware?) features...

8. ConraDargo

ConraDargo Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    LOL, oh my god!

Porting the old (i.e. classic) Sonic games is one thing, but bringing out Sonic Unleashed??

Ugh, just leave the poor hedgehog alone already ><'

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Sega is, in fact, porting the older Sonic games.

And why the hate on Sonic Unleashed?

Yeah, the "werehog" levels weren't great, but goddamn were the Sonic levels (daytime levels) fun as hell. A return to form, really. Closer to the classics than all but the games on GBA and DS.

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Also, note they stated "mobile phones". If it were a license specifically for iTouch/Phone, they probably would've stated "iPhone and iPod touch" specifically.

That said, they might port it to iTouch/Phone as they have done with the rest of their titles.

Either way, I also wonder why Sega would hand off duties to Gameloft.

I mean...Sega does have their own mobile game studio and publishing arm:

Sega Mobile

:confused:

Sega...Sega is still Sega, aren't they? Making the same silly ass business moves. I figured the company would change that aspect of themselves, but, instead, they changed up the creative side of the company (the dev studios, as the former AM studios in Japan are really no more). Instead of doing away with the weakness of the company (the bad business decisions), they've really done away with the very strength of the company (the old dev team internal competition that heightened creativity).

And now they seem to not understand their own company. They didn't know whether Yu Suzuki (Mr. Sega himself) was still part of the company a while back, and now they hand mobile development and publishing duties of their major IP to an outside company...when they themselves have a mobile development and publishing arm?

WTF Sega!? Seriously...WTF!? :confused:

11. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    It doesn't have to be such a bad thing. The Legend of Zelda: Oricle of Ages/Seasons and Minish Cap were all developed by Capcom (though Nintendo published them) and turned out to be just as enjoyable as Nintendo's efforts. OK, so Capcom are obviously bigger league than Gameloft, but you never know, they might surprise us.

Sega always seem set on reinventing Sonic when a new game is in production which is usually why they fail... people don't want Sonic with a sword or turning into a beast, they want good Old Skool Sonic. Maybe Gameloft will focus more on the daytime stages of Unleashed... we can only hope!

12. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I played the wii version (which was developed by DIMPS - Sonic Rush), and the daytime levels were awesome. The 3d/2.5d combination was so much fun. If Gameloft bring that over (and leave out the nighttime levels) i'd be pretty happy.

p.s. Gameloft's financial results show that the iPhone is increasingly becoming the core of its business, so i'd say it's pretty likelyit comes to iPhone.

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    True...but Sega themselves have a mobile team. Just what is their mobile team up to if not Sonic Unleashed for mobiles?

Sonic with a sword?

Oh...Sonic and the Black Knight?

Well that isn't part of the platformer series. It's a side series (the Sonic Storybook series). Kinda what Nintendo does with Mario and the Paper Mario RPG titles. Sega actually has a good idea, trying to spread the Sonic IP once again. It's what they did during the Genesis days with Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. Gave them Sonic sales revenue while giving extra time for development of the platformer games.

And people don't know "good old skool" Sonic from the "I just wanna go fast" comments I keep seeing.

FYI, everyone (Sega included, apparently): Sonic the Hedgehog games on Genesis were NEVER about "going fast", but rather about reacting quickly. There's a big difference.

14. treehuggerflem

treehuggerflem Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Sonic would be sweet!

15. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    You should play the 360/PS3 versions too. The daytime levels, while not developed by DIMPS, are the same level of awesomeness but longer.

16. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I'm not a huge fan of Gameloft and I'm tired of all these new Sonics.

I'll wait for Sega to port the older versions.

Don't hold your breath, could be months before this one comes out.

17. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Finally
    iSonic
    the final way to kill an awful series

18. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    #18 Kuratsu, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    I understand that Sega is trying to spread the Sonic IP but seriously, I think Sonic and the Secret Rings/Sonic and the Black Knight would have been received differently if they had created new IP for it. I mean come on, Sonic with a sword? They're relying too much on sonic nowadays and testing out all their new ideas on him. This in my opinion is not a good strategy as if the game isn't all that great, people hate it as a Sonic game, when it very well could have been a different character all together, and may have been received differently. Sega needs to realize that when Sonic is in a game, the majority of consumers expect (want) it to be a "Sonic" game.

I must say though, based on Gamelofts previous games, if Sonic Unleashed is released for iPhone/iPod Touch, it very well could succeed. Gameloft wouldn't produce a game if they didn't see a market for it.

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    #19 spiffyone, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
    Sure.

It would've sold less without the Sonic IP, same as Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Paper Mario RPGs would've all sold less without Mario's mug. ;)

Again, Sonic the Hedgehog platformer games are the main series. Anything not part of that series proper is a side game, and I think the general consumer understands this fact as they do with the Mario games that aren't part of the main platformer series.

And, again, the Sonic IP sells games. Attach the Sonic IP to a new game and the sales figures for that game are much higher than without. Same, again, as Mario.

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Sonic Spinball say "hi".

And I doubt that the majority of consumers expect a side game starring Sonic that isn't a platformer to be a Sonic platforming game just as I doubt that Nintendo fans get all up in arms over Mario not being in a platformer and instead driving a go kart (Mario Kart), playing doctor in a puzzle game (Dr. Mario), being a piece in a board game (Mario Party), or playing various sports (Mario Sports games).

I mean...c'mon now...seriously. I doubt Sonic fans are that friggin' dumb.

No Mario fan says "Oh, I bought Mario Party/Mario Kart/Dr. Mario, but where's the jumping on goombas?", and by the same token no Sonic fan should get up in arms over Sonic starring in a non-platforming game. He's a company mascot, and company mascots star in a variety of different titles. Most people understand this.

20. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I think the Sonic games are more confusing as they are much closer in terms of gameplay. A puzzle or racing game is obvious, sure, but I get confused as to which Sonic is 'real' and I'm not stupid.

On the other hand I would love to see an iPhone port of Sonic Spinball. Loved that game. But hard as a golem's ass.