★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

3GS exclusive games + The perfect iphone controls for hardcore games

06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
3GS exclusive games + The perfect iphone controls for hardcore games

First, with the recent news that the iPhone 3GS indeed includes 256 mbs of ram, a much faster processer, a much more current graphics card, I hope devs make some iPhone 3GS exclusive games that take advantage of the extra power. According to devs, the 3GS is FAR FAR more powerful than the PSP, PS2 and Gamecube were!!

I would love to see EA's upcoming Red Alert take full advantage of the 3GS's power.

But the bigger question is, how should such games aimed for the hardcore gamers control?

I think I have a some simple solutions.

First, there should be two circles/joysticks in the bottom to corner that you can move around slightly with your finger, and serve as dual analog nubs. Functionally, they would be identical to the analog nub found on the PSP.

Second, a flick of your wrist/iphone to the right should be analogous to pressing the right shoulder buttons on the PSP/DS and even Wii, and a flick of your wrist to the left should be analogous to pressing the left shoulder button on the PSP/DS.

And lastly, two buttons above each touch based analog nub would give you the psp all the functionality found in the PSP, DS and even Wii (actually more functionality since it essentially would have dual analog nubs).

And all these buttons should be at the most extreme ends of both devices so that they give you a full unobstructed view of most of the screen.

Is anyone making such a gaming iphone shells with dual analog nubs, shoulder buttons, and one that looks as sexy as the iphone?

Something like this that I found...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielm...ld/2127089390/

Before, this controller idea would've failed. But now, the iPhone's brand new 3.0 OS allows apps downloaded from the app store to use add on peripherals like this controller. There is a race right now among hardware manufacturers to be the first to create an awesome gaming peripheral for the iphone thats a hit.

Also...

Whoever makes the iphone's first gaming addon, three requirements are must haves...

1. The peripheral should look very sleek, flush with the phone and use the same black plastic found in the front of all iphones. iPhone owners care greatly about how thier device looks.

2. The peripheral must have dual analog sticks/nubs. Imagine the PSP's analog nub, but on both sides. Portable gamers have been clamoring for this feature forever now, so it's about time they get it. I can't overstress how important it is the the iPhone's gaming pad has DUAL ANALOG NUBS (and shoulder trigger buttons).

3. The peripheral must have two shoulder buttons and a solid D-Pad akin to the PSP/PS3's D-Pad to enable fighting games.

Do these things and the peripheral will be a big hit.

Also the smaller the add on, the better. It should be as small as humanly possible. People don't like large bulky addons. And it should have a rectangular design with curved edges identical to the iphone.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by wikoogle; 06-14-2009 at 06:44 AM.
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Oops, I just realized this might not be the ideal section for this thread. If this isn't the right place for this thread, mods please feel free to move it.

06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post
Oops, I just realized this might not be the ideal section for this thread. If this isn't the right place for this thread, mods please feel free to move it.
This should probably be in the lounge. But anyways with 3.0 you will be able to use gaming peripherals with the dock connecter.

Add me on Plus/OpenFeint/Gamecenter/Crystal: redsoxsrule424
Moderator at Com2uS' forums: http://global.com2us.com/forums
Moderator in IMO: [-MD-]soxrock424 in Siras, on Wadangka!
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes, but is anyone making a gaming iphone shells with dual analog nubs, shoulder buttons, and one that looks as sexy as the iphone? If anyone can pull that off and get a lot of support for such a peripheral, it would be apple.

Are any game developers even supporting such gaming iphone shells yet?

Last edited by wikoogle; 06-10-2009 at 02:53 PM.
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxsrule424 View Post
This should probably be in the lounge. But anyways with 3.0 you will be able to use gaming peripherals with the dock connecter.
Yeah, if they could sort out an official "apple" attachment it would be good, as of now all the unique control schemes would need to be unified for it to be feasible.
06-10-2009, 02:52 PM
devs make some iPhone 3GS exclusive games

For the exclusive owners?
06-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice, gonna buy it straight when its out here in Belgium.
06-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikoogle View Post
The 3GS is honestly just as powerful as the Nintendo Wii.
This is where I stopped reading.
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
This is where I stopped reading.
C'mon, there are even more jokes ! xD
06-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
Nice, gonna buy it straight when its out here in Belgium.

We'll expect you back.

"Hey, why aren't there any games for this new iphone to take advantage of the new tech"

"Hey, I ran out of money so even if there were games I can't afford them"