What do you Hate / Love about facebook games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by wossname, Mar 4, 2011.

1. wossname

wossname Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    There are an awful lot of things I absolutely hate about most facebook games, but there are also some things I enjoy about them. I want one of my next RPG projects to try and usee best parts about these games and get rid of everything that is horrid.

I want to know what things you guys like / don't like. I have my own list but it is always interesting to find out what others think.

2. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I hate that a lot of the games aren't for serious gamers. I only game I like is the NES Games app.

3. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I like playing Farmville on facebook.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think most people hate the wall spamming some of the games cause. If you've got 5 friends all playing one game you're gonna see a lot of rubbish in your feed and probably get a bunch of invites you don't care about too.

I don't like Facebook games in general just because I don't like having to go to Facebook to play them, they request access to my information and they're often pretty slow at loading and more unreliable than games found at other sites.

5. Lanishery

Lanishery Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I love it too!

6. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Farmville & Cityville.:)

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    i just hate facebook. :D

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You see, these are the kind of people who play Facebook games. Not one hint of helpful feedback between the lot of them.

9. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    most of the time, i log in facebook only for playing cityville...facebook is a social gaming platform for me, LOL

10. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Agreed, couldn't have worded it any better.

11. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but I used to play just about every notable Facebook game, and still occasionally play Mafia Wars and Castle Age. For the most part, though, they're pointless clickfests that rely on constant wall-spamming for progress. It's really horrible to have to constantly bother your friends for 10 cans of bear suet or whatever just to get your extra pumpkin patch.

The good ones have lots of dynamic content, new quests and missions that are constantly being added. I enjoy Castle Age because of the cooperation element needed to beat large monsters. If you want to emulate a good Facebook game, go take a look at that one--it's really successful at creating community, and keeps the begging to a minimum.

Don't neglect a good story or an interesting theme. If I see another restaurant social game I might flip out and injure someone with my iPod.

If you want to take inspiration from existing social games it's going to be tough to break from the existing mold of click & wait, but I wish you luck.

12. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    Maybe you don't have too many friends.:D

13. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Playing cityville helps me make more friends with strangers.

14. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    welp

15. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    Alright I didn't really get any answers, so why don't I post my list.

Things I like:

• I enjoy the social aspect of the games. Maybe not the 'wall spamming' but I love co-op games and mmo's when I'm playing with friends. The social stuff I love is stuff like sharing items with other friends who are playing (sans the ridiculous messaging out to people to spam).

• I enjoy the decent pacing and leveling aspects.

• I enjoy the collection aspects. Everyone loves getting things.

Things I hate:

• I hate being limited on my daily moves.

• I hate micro-transactions in order to buy more daily moves. I don't mind paying money for a game I enjoy, but paying for more daily moves is retarded.

• I hate the complete lack of story.

• I hate the constant nagging to spam friends that aren't playing.

• I hate the beta feel of most games. Game resets are common and service outages happen more often then twitter outages.

• I hate sharing all my user info with companies I don't trust.

• I hate the huge potential for co-op experiences that are never realized.

16. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I have the feeling those aren't real accounts. The same few posters have been spamming barely coherent posts in a bunch of threads. I figure after they've built up a bit of a post count, they'll spam a bit about their crappy game and get banned.

17. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    Speaking about spamming games I have one coming out on April 2nd :O

I won't spam stuff about it though, I just went and bought ads through toucharcade and some other places.

/derail

Now someone tell me what else sucks about fb games. I think I've covered most of it but I'm sure there is something I'm missing that I want to avoid.

18. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    My biggest complaint about freemium games (especially those of the simulation or RPG genres), is that many of them are like part-time jobs. There are a lot of freemium games that I would have liked to play, but I CBF to log in every 4 hours to check on some crops or spend my energy. Take out the spoiling mechanic from a game and all of a sudden it would become accessible to so many more people, while not affecting the game balance much. Or increase the cap on energy to be able to store a few days worth, rather than a couple hours worth. Etc etc.

Since you were talking about an RPG specifically, then I'll also add that I hate forced PvP. It's really annoying and adds nothing to the game.

19. wossname

Feb 27, 2011
    iOS app dev
    Arizona
    Ooh good point, I too hate the timing on that stuff. iOS games have even carried that across to make up for terrible gameplay.

I don't think I have any experience with forced pvp. I thought a pvp element would be fun to build into my next project. Can you point me to something to avoid?

20. hotspringfan

hotspringfan Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    People come here interested not facebook. :cool: