★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
Guys, what do you think would be the absolute very best rpgs for iOS (all kinds included)? Since my birthday is coming soon, I want to purchase everything I can until I get out of my cave again. lol

Thanks in advance!
I would say Romancing SaGa2. But it's not for everyone. It's now probably my second favorite rpg with only Xenoblade Chronicles 2 taking the lead. But I could see plenty of people hating it too.

I love love love having DQ I-VI on ios ! They sre must haves. I have VIII too, but it's probably the one that has the worst port.
02-12-2018, 10:25 AM
back on DQVII today 66 hours 26 mins in job leveling right now

02-12-2018, 09:03 PM
My favorites on iOS are:

- Final Fantasy Tactics (no surprise to anyone who knows me, as that is my favorite game, period)
- Dragon Quest V (if I had to pick a DQ, that would be it)
- The World Ends With You Solo Remix (a port that I feel elevates a very good game to greatness)
- and for card game / RPGs, it's hard to go wrong with Lost Portal.

I am still working on Oracle of Ages, which is a bizarre experience playing it for the first time in 2018. Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game and is still my favorite, so I took to the gameplay right away. I'm breezing through so far, with my only hiccup being the really irritating trading sequence of my own stolen stuff that I had to do to unlock the third dungeon. Other than that it's been pretty easy, but apparently I'm in the minority in feeling that way. A coworker of mine said he had a lot of trouble with OoA, and he normally plays high difficulty stuff. Maybe I'm just so used to the original Game Boy mechanics of Link's Awakening that it's old hat to me.
02-12-2018, 09:47 PM
My favorites are FFIX, FFXV, FFVI, FFIII, FFI, DQ VIII, DQ I, DQ IV, DQ V, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. But I love all FF, DQ, and MH games!

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides
iPhone X Space Gray 256 GB
iPad Pro 9.7 128 GB
02-13-2018, 08:47 AM
My favorite iOS RPG's? Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest III, Bastion, Final Fantasy VI, and Adventures in Mana.

I asked this in another thread, but should I assume the RPG play alongs are done along with the RPG reload? If so, that's a bummer. I didn't get into all of those but those were fun times seeing everyone make their way through games, or joining in for the ones I could.
02-13-2018, 09:55 AM
I was about to ask about the play-alongs as well. Was talking to a friend just recently about how much I enjoyed those - I hadn't replayed a game in quite a while since I've been focusing on my backlog and on new-to-me games like Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and it was fun ripping through old stuff and helping people out where I could.

Final Fantasy IX is also a stellar game that had a lot of care put into its remake on iOS. I haven't played it on iOS, but I watched my wife work through a decent chunk of the game and I dig the new controls. Definitely a lot more pleasing to watch and interact with than the pasted-on touch controls for FFVII.
02-13-2018, 12:31 PM
I finally figured out how to play DQ Stars and Rivals that are exclusively Japan and regionally locked
VPN did the trick
02-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon815 View Post
I was about to ask about the play-alongs as well. Was talking to a friend just recently about how much I enjoyed those - I hadn't replayed a game in quite a while since I've been focusing on my backlog and on new-to-me games like Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and it was fun ripping through old stuff and helping people out where I could.

Final Fantasy IX is also a stellar game that had a lot of care put into its remake on iOS. I haven't played it on iOS, but I watched my wife work through a decent chunk of the game and I dig the new controls. Definitely a lot more pleasing to watch and interact with than the pasted-on touch controls for FFVII.
I'm not sure about the playalongs. I really wish them not to be done. It was bad timing for Icewind Dale unfortunately, but I really liked the playalongs. But even if they are done we could always use this thread or ask to get a playalong thread were we could play games together.
02-13-2018, 06:19 PM
Yep, I would join the odd playalong too. I didn't do all of them, but I did a few and I really enjoyed reading about other people's adventures. Shame about Icewind Dale!

As for favourite RPGs on iOS, I'm in agreement with most of you guys. Final Fantasy Tactics was a revelation - so glad I finally played it towards the end of last year. I'd now rank it up there with my all-time favourites on any platform. DQVIII is still the only DQ I've played so far (though I'll start DQIV some time this spring), but I loved the port. Thought it worked brilliantly in portrait mode, and had just two crashes despite the fact I played it when I was still on a 4S. FFIX is the best iOS port in the series, and also one of the best in the series anyway. And I'll throw out a shout for Ys - good gameplay, even better music and some of the best boss battles in ARPGs.

My all-time favourite is still The World Ends With You, though. Good art, decent story, superb music, and unique, brilliant gameplay.

2018 GOTY nominations: You're joking, right? I'm still playing games I got in 2015...
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
02-13-2018, 08:11 PM
I miss the play-a-longs too. I think Shaun just doesnít have the time now that he is spending more time writing his book. Iím all for someone else taking over for him.