Steve Jobs Announcement!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by pante, Jan 5, 2009.

1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #1 pante, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    here is a letter from steve jobs. this is an official announcement that he sent to press.

Dear Apple Community,

For the first time in a decade, I’m getting to spend the holiday season with my family, rather than intensely preparing for a Macworld keynote.

Unfortunately, my decision to have Phil deliver the Macworld keynote set off another flurry of rumors about my health, with some even publishing stories of me on my deathbed.

I’ve decided to share something very personal with the Apple community so that we can all relax and enjoy the show tomorrow.

As many of you know, I have been losing weight throughout 2008. The reason has been a mystery to me and my doctors. A few weeks ago, I decided that getting to the root cause of this and reversing it needed to become my #1 priority.

Fortunately, after further testing, my doctors think they have found the cause—a hormone imbalance that has been “robbing” me of the proteins my body needs to be healthy. Sophisticated blood tests have confirmed this diagnosis.

The remedy for this nutritional problem is relatively simple and straightforward, and I’ve already begun treatment. But, just like I didn’t lose this much weight and body mass in a week or a month, my doctors expect it will take me until late this Spring to regain it. I will continue as Apple’s CEO during my recovery.

I have given more than my all to Apple for the past 11 years now. I will be the first one to step up and tell our Board of Directors if I can no longer continue to fulfill my duties as Apple’s CEO. I hope the Apple community will support me in my recovery and know that I will always put what is best for Apple first.

So now I’ve said more than I wanted to say, and all that I am going to say, about this.

Steve

EDIT: here is a link to the official apple website with the announcement http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/05sjletter.html.

2. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I really don't believe that. The guy sadly has pancreatic cancer, which has like a 90% fatality rate, not to mention it's an incredibly painful way to go. I understand that for confidence purposes and Apple's stock, he wants to appear as strong and healthy as possible; blaming his condition on a hormonal imbalance is less concerning than from his cancer, and perhaps it is true, but I'm a little skeptcial here.

3. Fubit86

Fubit86 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    STUDENT
    Seattle, WA
    Yup, I'm calling BS too. It's sucks cause he did sooooo much with the company and hopefully someone else won't mess that up....where's my 3g touch?

4. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Vende, you can have your opinion, but it's people like you that continue stupid rumors!

Ps. Wrong thread

5. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Wrong forum you mean?

6. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #6 pante, Jan 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
    yeah, i know. but i put it here because it's a very important message and more people will see it.

7. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

If he'd had the fatal form of pancreatic cancer he'd have been dead 3 years ago. The "Steve Jobs is dying" rumours ranks along with all the other FUD that gets spread about Apple by its competitors as grade-A BS.

8. dcescott

dcescott Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I think he will be long gone before anyone leaks out his passing if he has that specific cancer still. As much as I am a mac geek for years, I'm thinking they'll create a lengthy dialog, kinda like Bin Laden or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 where they keep dad hanging around. Like planned events, fake q and a's, and so on.
    Reading that over, it's not nice but I can see that happening.

9. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Hmm.

Here's a Czech proverb for you:

"Better a lie which heals than a truth which hurts."

Who's Steve Jobs anyway?

10. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    What rumors? The guy has a serious form of cancer and he looks horrible. A rumor would be "I heard Steve Jobs was lying". A suspicion
    (and a reasonable one at that) would be what I said.

11. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    apple's board of directors distributed the following statement:

It is widely recognized both inside and outside of Apple that Steve Jobs is one of the most talented and effective CEOs in the world.

As we have said before, if there ever comes a day when Steve wants to retire or for other reasons cannot continue to fulfill his duties as Apple's CEO, you will know it.

Apple is very lucky to have Steve as its leader and CEO, and he deserves our complete and unwavering support during his recuperation. He most certainly has that from Apple and its Board.

12. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Get over yourselves and stop spreading rumors. He has announced it himself so trust that and stop finding something more dramatic to cover it over with. Few company CEO's would make an announcement like this, let alone going into more personal specifics so have some respect.

13. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    don't be uppity

14. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i agree. sorry guys but you should just shut up. for sure you don't know the truth. accept the statement and do not try to say what is wrong with the guy if you just DO NOT KNOW him.

15. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Works for me.

16. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

How can you say that Steve Jobs has pancreatic cancer. Unless you know him and he told you or have access to his personal medical records than you are just spreading an unfounded rumor. And if he did tell you than you are breaking his confidence.

17. Oma

Oma Well-Known Member

Why do we care about a silly boss of a silly company anyway?
    It's not like they are that interesting...

I should start a topic with an announcement of my own:
    I just left a fart.

Congratz!
    Omg.

18. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    @oma
    What's wrong with you?

@Vende
    Where'd you hear that he has cancer? I'd love to see your source.

19. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    I was thinking the same thing. :)

I'd give that man my pancreas if he needed it, I just love Apple that much... Even if they are a "silly" company. :)

20. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    This is a mistery, I say people should leave him alone, and share holders think about the risk, I mean, that's what they studied economy for right?

P.S: I noticed you put "ipotch" on your sig. UR COOOL!!!;) and thanks