Street Fighter II

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by NotYou, Mar 26, 2009.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #1 NotYou, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
    I went to Capcoms page looking for a video of their new MegaMan port and I saw this banner in their iPhone section:

[​IMG]

They also released, or are about to release (not sure which) cell phone versions of SFII.

Now, proceed with obligatory freaking out and wild rumors.

Edit:
    http://www.capcommobile.com/iphone/

2. flamesmaster

flamesmaster Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Resident evil???? WOW!

Want.

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #3 NotYou, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I just don't think Ryu's Dragon punch would be possible on the iphone... I just don't.... I would love to try though! ;)

5. Yeah I don't know how they're going to pull off doing those special attacks, unless there are on-screen buttons to press instead, like when you have them appear in HoS on the larger enemies.

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I won't be surprised if it's like the Mega Man interface. Virtual buttons could work okay, sort of like Funky Punch.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308161582&mt=8

7. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Street fighter could possibly work ala virtual joystick maybe like a cabinet frame like space invaders.

8. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    They should hacve done a sprited port of sf 4

9. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    No way that you could recreate a button masher like SF2 on the touch devices unless that crazy controller add-on is compatible.... Not gonna lie though, I prob will still get this either way....

10. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Sounds cool, but so much of button mashing fighters is actually having responsive buttons to mash. Same reason many of those games have custom controllers, people want to mash certain things haha. I think that they should at least offer customizable control schemes to rectify the lack of buttons.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    wow...two posters calling SFII a "button masher" FTL.

Last I checked, "mashing buttons" will get you NOWHERE in a technical and traditional 2D fighter like SFII or the KoF games. Against scrubs, sure...but against better players "mashing buttons" is an easy ticket to getting a perfect tossed on your ass. :p

And that technical, precision nature (although SF allows for more control leeway than the KoF games) is the reason why I don't think such games would work as is on this platform.

Now, if SNK would bring over their NGPC games to this one, then maybe they'd work. The NGPC fighters had an "easy" control method that replaced the traditional circular and charge motions for specials and supers with "tap direction and button". Made links and chains a bit more difficult to pull off though, which is why I still preferred the "expert" controls in those games. Then again, the NGPC joystick was just...perfection for fighting games.

12. DarthPuma

DarthPuma Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Unless I can hook my arcade stick up to my iPod, I'm sticking to HD Remix.

EDIT: And lulz at calling SF a button masher.

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I wouldn't mind Capcom bringing over Super Puzzle Fighter though.

Especially if there were online play via WiFi.

14. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    My friend made it to like 6th or 7th place out of like 24 or 32 in a StreetFighters tournament by button mashing. He's only played a couple times so yea he sucks... So yes winning against really good ppl by button mashing is possible.

15. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    @Spiffy
    By Button masher I meant to say, a game that requires buttons to accomplish a move.... Something that IMO can never be translated to a device like the touch unless the controller add-on works with it.... I wasn't trying to say that SF2 is played by button mashing, if you read my first post you'll see I said it would never be possible for me to complete a dragon punch without physical buttons.... Therefore a "button masher" like SF2 won't translate to the iDevices very well....

16. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Ah, I see. Yes, I agree.

But "button masher" to me means a game that requires little to no skill. So I guess the difference simply lies in definition of the phrase.

No biggie.

Anyone else agree that Puzzle Fighter could and should make it over though? I mean...I honestly don't know why it hasn't already.

17. Perhaps they may implement some sort of swiping/dragging control for the specials (think Iron Fist Boxing). Just not sure if a virtual d-pad will work particularly well with this game though. Some games just aren't meant for the iPhone/Touch.

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Ever play Street Fighter 2 Flash on your browser? All jumpkicka, trips, specials and supers. Gameplay's gonna be like that - no combos, distance ticking, none of that. Maybe touch the screen to parry, maybe not.

Contrls are also gonna have to be redone: 6 virtual buttons and a joystick isn't gonna work with the fast paced game we're accustomed to. Just look at the utter failure of Megaman 2.

So yeah, I'll wait till someone interviews Capcom about it, and a video.

19. DarthPuma

DarthPuma Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    #19 DarthPuma, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009

Either those people were horrible, or your are lying. You really think you can beat someone like this by button mashing?

20. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    I dunno.

SNK did pretty well with a joystick and just two buttons for their NGPC fighters.

Of course, the iTouch/Phone doesn't have the benefit of that glorious little joystick SNK put on the NGPC, but the base idea could be the same in terms of the "easy" control mode that was an option in those games.

In those games, when using the "easy" control method, the links and ticks and such were a tad more difficult to do not because they were in and of themselves difficult but because if you're experienced in fighters your reflex is to press a direction and the attack button to start a link or chain, but with "easy" controls on a direction and attack button initiated a special or super. So the "easy" control changed the non-special combos (chains, links, etc.) by making them more timing based. You had to press a direction, pause for a split second, and then press an attack button.

Seemed counter-intuitive, but some gamers swore by that method as they didn't like the reaction time of the "advanced" controls (which mimicked the original arcade style controls).

Even so, crazy little combos were possible with the "easy" control method. Search on youtube for some vids. Good stuff.

Don't know why SNK didn't port that game over to DS though. People judge their half of the crossover based purely on SvC: Chaos, which wasn't good at all, and the DS "update" of Card Fighters, which was trash. But they didn't get the chance to play the BEST fighting game ever on a portable, SvC: MotM for NGPC.