I need help finding best roguelike for newbie

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jayg2015, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #1 Jayg2015, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Ok.
    I've been playing what I have found out are roguelike games and interested in playing the best roguelike games for someone like myself who has never really played them nor no the difference between a great one or
    A good one or bad. I've only
    Played a handful and interested in this genre. I'm not going to look for Anymore until I get help from someone here . I know a lot of you love these games and know your stuff. So I need your help and expertise please.

Cardinal Quest 2 - excellent . Really like how you submit high score and come back with moral each adding up so you can continue further on your quest

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am not an expert on genre, not by far, but it would help if you told more about what you were looking for when playing a roguelike.

People say wonderful things about Wayward Souls and Sproggiwood.

3. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Do a search for Roguelike here in the forums.. This question has been asked several times over the years, and very good answers have been provided.. You will find lists and lists of games in these threads..

Also, it would help to state which rogelikes you have already played, and what your opinions of them are.. The term roguelike gets thrown around alot for games and has taken on somewhat of a vague or broader meaning these days..

And of course, it boils down to personal opinion.. For example, I remember the other day when you said that you did not like playing Tiny Rogue since it was just a 'high score chaser'..

So, start by stating what you have played, if you liked them, and why or why not... That would help.. Plus, as I said.. Do a forum thread search for 'roguelike'...

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    :) :) :)

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    A good beginner friendly one, other than Cardinal quest, is pixel dungeon.

Also, a good beginner game or not - just stick with it and you'll become hooked, is FTL, but just to keep the diehards happy, that game is a rogueLITE. Johnnycash went there above, I suppose it's relevant to a beginner to know that.

6. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    #6 Jayg2015, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    This didn't help with what I needed . I noticed in all your posts quoting me or replying to me though that your not my biggest fan.

7. digitalphil

digitalphil Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I've never understood what the draw to a Roguelike is...
    isnt it a never ending game... that restarts after you die...
    I do notice lots of roguelikes on ios.. i wonder which are the best.

8. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Newbies don't play roguelike. :)

9. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Exactly. But I do know there are some of these games that have upgrades that allow u to level up or help u progress the next time u start up. I guess that's what I'm chasing here. Finding those gems

10. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I hear you - that was also my impression. But roguelikes don't need to be endless at all. It's the randomly generated levels and the permadeath that are the distinct features. I don't think I really got into the genre until dabbling with it on iOS. There are loads of good ones, like the oft-mentioned Wayward Souls, but my favourite is probably Out There. Love that game.

11. JohnnyClash

Mar 11, 2016
    #11 JohnnyClash, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Nope, probably not.. But, I remember when I was 'very' new to the genre, I felt intimidated by it, and looking back it was a changing point for me and opened me up to much more gaming possibilities.

This is the list of iOS Roguelikes that I currently own..

I would say that most of these are Newbie friendly and I enjoy playing them.. (I am pretty much a noob the genre too)..

Cardinal Quest 2
    Dungeon of Endless
    Greedy Cave - The Greedy Cave
    Out there
    Pathos Nexhack Codex
    Quadropus Rampage
    Rogue Agent
    Rogue Saga
    Runestone Keeper
    Sneaky Sneaky
    Space Grunts
    Sproggiwood
    The Last Warlock
    Tiny Rogue
    Wayward Souls

Edited to say... Many of these entries are clearly hybrids that share rogulike elememts, but hey, it's all I've touched so far, so take it with a grain of salt.. ;)

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    "Rogulike" is REALLY defined loosely nowadays. If you have time to check the 1980 game Rogue where the term Roguelike came from, you'd have a really good idea of what a roguelike really is.

For example, Wayward Souls has a lot of roguelike elements added into it, so it can be somewhat identified as a roguelike. But it can also be under action-RPG for being a realtime hack and slash dungeon crawling RPG like Diablo. Diablo was never called a roguelike, and it has a permadeath mode. It's just known as an action RPG. So in the end, Wayward Souls really is a roguelike-action RPG hybrid.

Classic Roguelikes are known to be turn-based, grid-based, random generated dungeons, has tons of loot, tons of classes and/or races, a character progression system, and the permadeath nature of it. I have seen people (even here in TA) that if a game has permadeath, they already brand it a roguelike, when nothing outside of permadeath is a roguelike.

13. JohnnyClash

Mar 11, 2016
    Yeah, I am sure many of those games that I listed above are in the spectrum of being hybrids, for sure.. Like you said, they mainly share elements of a true Roguelike of days gone by, but are not solid genre personifying games from a purist's standpoint.

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    JayG - I am not an expert at all when it comes to this stuff - I really liked Sproggiwood and I liked the second Dungelot. Also Storm Casters Ultra was very fun. You might not agree, but as a non- professional - long time gamer, these held my interest FWIW.

15. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Thanks everyone for the understanding and the great suggestions. I've definitely found some I really like and some that I didn't ... None the less it has helped me alot

16. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    The newest Dungelot Shattered Lands is great
    I like Power Grounds a lot as well
    Others I think count as roguelike are

Pixel Poker Battle
    The Tower of Fortune series
    Runestone Keeper
    Dungeonism

17. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Rust bucket
    Cursed Loot
    Rogue Saga
    Tiny Rogue
    Mazes of Karradash 2
    And my own personal favorite ... Waz Hack

18. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I would just like to throw 868-Hack into the mix, as I got it fairly recently and absolutely love it. Beautifully condense roguelike.

19. nenastya

nenastya Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Female
    Russia
    To the lists above I can add some more games: Cavern, Mysterious Castle, Quest of Dungeons, Pixel Heroes, Microgue. I'm glad someone mentioned Mazes of Karradash! This game needs more attention. The second part was released recently, by the way.

20. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I feel the same. Permadeath + RGS used to be a no-go to me, however it has changed to me and I start to apreciate how much it could be fun. Of course, I've changed my mentality from "perfectionist" to something along an endless run game in which I appreciate every new journey. It sounds weird, but it makes sense to me. Lol

I am starting Out There soon and also going to grab Crypt of the Necrodancer, which I've heard high praises. Also, looking forward to Death Road to Canada, my most expected geme on iOS.

It is a shame that FLT is Ipad-only. I find that rogues are best enjoyed on my phone, which I carry all the time with me.