Mix It Up! : An amazing liquid based puzzler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Liquid Sunshine Labs, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Liquid Sunshine Labs Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2013
    #1 Liquid Sunshine Labs, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Update : Blog Post here : Blog Post
    Update : Gameplay video here: Gameplay Video

The game is now out! You can grab it here: Appstore Link

I am pleased to announce Mix It Up! This is an amazing liquid physics based puzzler. The game is set for release on December 12. Thanks, hope you like it.

Amazing liquid physics-based game!

Fill underground desert basins by maneuvering colored water through abandoned mine shafts.
    Players must fill the lower ponds by carefully collapsing water filled pits, deliberately sending colored water in the correct location and direction, through tunnels and mazes. Slice precise cuts through hinged wooden planks, manipulating the correct amount and color of water, to reach a perfect balance in each pond.
    Each level becomes more challenging as the player has to overcome intricate tunnels of wind, wooden planks, rock, pistons, and more!

Features:

•Amazing Liquid Physics
    •Slicing Action
    •Colored Water Mixing Fun
    •Pistons
    •Wind
    •And More!

How to Play:

Play the game by swiping your finger across wood pieces to slice them. Work your way through the level by slicing the wood so that the water mixes into the color shown by the dashed line on the pond. To win the level, spill the correctly colored water into the pond. Fill the ponds above the dashed line to get up to 3 stars.

Screenshots :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Promo Code Reward

So seeing as no one has posted yet, I will offer an incentive. Comment about what you think of the game (only constructive comments) and I will randomly pick 10 people when the game is released and give each of them a promo code for the game. How does that sound?

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#3 Bronxsta, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Would have commented earlier if I had seen this. Seems reminiscent of Where's My Water, but I like the simpler/cleaner style here.

20 levels seems kind of light. Do you have plan for post-launch support?

Either way, I enjoy fluid-based physics puzzlers (Puddle and PixelJunk Shooter are some of my favorite indies on PC) so I'll definitely check this out when it releases

4. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    The game looks like where's my water at glance but this one using different color liquid based. I ever played the similar game like this, forgot the name. Wondering, what's the difference with this one..

Do you have any gameplay video?

5. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks Bronxsta, and yes, I do plan on adding more levels after the game is released.

6. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi copaeci, I will be making a gameplay video shortly.

7. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
  8. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #8 Tannorexic, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    I absolutely love fluid physics on the iPad.
    Some of my favourite games involving it are-
    Liquidsketch, briquid, puddle, sploosh, puddle puzzles, and where's my water.
    I've been saying for a while now, fluid puzzlers are the next physics puzzlers.
    Something about fluid physics on iPad is so mesmerising.
    Will be checking out your game next week for sure.

As for constructive feedback.. Hmm
    The game already looks pretty awesome, but if I had to suggest something I might say the liquid could be a bit more liquidish... Perhaps more transparent.. It really makes a difference.. The more realistic, the better is feels.. Check out the games I listed above and see how they coloured water for some ideas maybe...
    At the moment your liquid looks more thick, and kind of blobish, rather than fluid and watery.. Perhaps that's the look you're going for though, since it's more like paint.. Liquidsketch also contains mixing colours and fluid physics.. You should check it out for reference.

Another way to make water look more realistic is to change the background to something very geometrical.. Like straight lines, that way it distorts when the water is flowing over top of it, making it look very fluidy and mesmerising.
    (Check out puddle puzzles for an example of this, there's a lite version)
    Goodluck and congrats on your completion!

9. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi tannorexic. Thanks for your comment. It's interesting that you say this because this game already does bend the background, you can mix colors, and the fluid is pretty smooth. Thanks for pointing that out though, I think I could do better to show it. I think it will be easy to see when the gameplay video comes out. Also, I experimented with more transparent liquid, but it made it so that the liquid colors weren't as vibrant. Although that might be something I want to reconsider if you are saying that you think it would look more releastic.

10. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Doesn't anyone want promo codes?

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but honestly I think you're going about this the wrong way (as if there's a right way, but still). Rather than offering codes for feedback, tell us about your game.

Your inspirations, your thought processes, how you plan to support the game. More details about the mechanics, the level variety, etc. How your game differs from other fluid based games like Where's my Water, Sprinkle, Puddle

Personally I don't post and follow these threads for codes, but to learn about these cool new games, to show devs that there is an audience and interest in their game, and just to watch games grow from concepts and early stages to full fledged experiences

Now again, just my opinion. Others may feel differently

12. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    If there's any code left, let me try your game :)
    Thanks

13. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Ok. Yeah. Thanks bronxsta. I'll write up something about the game shortly. As far as the promo codes, ten of the commenter will be chosen on December 12 and will get a promo code. I'd give it out now, but the game is still in the submission process.

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012

I agree entirely. I played the snot outta Where's My Water when it first came out and I'd love to learn more about what makes this game unique

15. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    This game looks pretty sweet! When is it being released?

16. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks sonixmanix! I'm glad you like it. It will be released on December 12.

17. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Looking forward to it!! :D

18. Anson

Anson Well-Known Member

Looks really good! Love the liquid colors. Can't wait to try it.

19. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks Anson, I hope you like it.

20. Liquid Sunshine Labs

Aug 20, 2013
    The blog post should be out today.