I don't get this Flappy Bird craze...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Scaramoosh, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    It's just the same game I used to play 10+ years ago called "The Helicopter Game" and it has been a free Flash based game all this time. Why is this obvious rip off getting all the attention all of a sudden......

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm with you. I never saw the appeal. And the whole "deleting it off of the app store" thing is just crazy, imo.

Anyway, I have to ask you a question you might or might not have been asked before:

Will you do the Fandango?

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I don't get it either. Probably people competing with scores is what made it so popular.

4. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    It's a slightly different take. Helicopter Game (and pretty much all clones) has simple up and down movement - usually with inertia. Flappy bird has a sudden bounce, which as far as I'm aware is new.

The biggest thing though is that it's very hard so each game lasts a few seconds and always in a way which makes you feel like it's your fault - so you can always try "one more game" guaranteed not to take more than an a few seconds - which *might* be the turn when you beat your high score.

It might be a push to call it fun, but can certainly be addictive.

5. I don't think most people will ever get the Flappy Bird craze...it just got popular for no clear reason (that I know of) and loads of people started playing it, whilst loads of people just started hating it...

THUNDERBOLTS AND LIGHTNING, VERY VERY FRIGHTENING!!!

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    It's the Justin Bieber of apps; hugely popular for reasons unknown whilst amassing tons of hate.

Best not to get involved.

7. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Because Flappy Bird is a craze, sites that blog about it get page views and reblogs. So they do it anyways, even *if* they know it's stupid. When it stops getting page views, they'll stop talking about.

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Kiddies like it, gamers see it for the abomination it really is.

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
  10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i dont get it. Its a shame as i think it makes a mockery of all the 1000's of really good games you get on iOS, i mean some of those arent great sellers yet the devs must see this flappy bird craze and think 'oh god what have i done wrong'

I mean theres lots of 'non gamers' out there who seem now addicted to Flappy Bird its embarassing.

Think its depressing times when a dire game like this is just doing so well, ridiculous seeing the amount of iphones on ebay for stupid prices because this games installed on it. Just insane

In 10 years time when people look back at this moment on some video game documentary they'll look back at it very embarassed. Have you seen the main Flappy Bird thread, 44 pages long !

The problem is it'll get worse, there'll be even more clones than there are now and i wouldnt be surprised if todays releases (and next weeks) will feature a ton of crappy clones. Arrrrgh

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Yeah when you see games like Maverick or Flappybalt, and how they twist the concept in interesting creative ways
    http://adamatomic.com/flappybalt/

You realize that Flappy Bird wasn't the problem. The problem was the lazy devs who flooded the App Store with crappy copy-paste clones

12. Panda Rascal

Panda Rascal Active Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I think the pipes which were originally found in Mario Bros gave the people a nostalgic feeling that made them want to try this game out.

13. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #13 TheFrost, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Fully agree. And FlappyBalt is awesome. I love it. I love it so much.

14. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Lowest common denominator entertainment product becomes public sensation. It's hardly a new occurrence.

This site will have you believe it's a civilization-defining phenomenon.

In reality, it's a fad that sits comfortably alongside Beanie Babies, Line Dancing and the Crazy Frog.

15. girlgamer

girlgamer Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I don't get it either....the whole craze that is. And frankly, tired of hearing about it. If it's gone - it's gone!

16. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Big Youtubers also helped its popularity, like Pewdiepie and many others. I personally find the game to be alright, but it's not an abomination like some claim.

17. twenty6868

twenty6868 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Boring... it's a little kids boasting game.

18. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I thought this was hilarious.
    This is a comment from a Reddit thread about this whole craze
    Not sure if sarcastic, but yeah...

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Ehem.... https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/line-birds/id438084823?mt=8

Line birds were released back in 2011.

There is nothing original about Flappy Bird.

20. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    fascinating to say the least

I was looking at the top charts this morning and this is what I found flappy related:

In the Overall Top 100 Free Apps there are currently 8 flappy bird clones, 4 of which take the Top 4 spots.

In the Top Paid 100 Apps there are 2 flappy bird clones.

Needless to say all of these games are making a lot of money right now.

That's absolutely insane considering how many apps are in the app store. I believe that we're only going to see more of this flappy bird mania, as even though the media coverage is starting to die down, the apps keep coming and people keep downloading. I think this goes to show a few things though:

1. The general app buyer audience wants simplicity. A lot of us gamers want polished, well thought out products, but the majority of app downloaders want simple little time wasters. I'm debating that apps produced in 1 week or less is what people want. If it doesn't take much thought to make then it doesn't take much thought to play. Now anyone that considers themselves a gamer is probably going to disagree with this because you don't think like the average app consumer. This is troubling for those of us that want to make what we consider to be great games.

2. People follow trends: it's human nature. If this wasn't true why are there so many Minecraft clones flooding the app store? And you know what? Almost all of them are performing well.

3. It seems like a developer should just study trends to succeed in this market. Yes it can definitely be done without studying trends: look at Threes! Awesome Game! But, that's the rare exception.

I personally don't hate flappy bird. I was sitting in the airport a few weeks ago and downloaded the game and played it a bit and found it fun. I'm just posting this because it brings up a lot of concerns and made me think about this industry as a whole.

I personally think that viewers of sites like TouchArcade might be more interested in creative and interesting games, or games that have had much more effort and polish put into them. But the average app consumer probably does not visit Touch Arcade or app sites in general. The average app consumer is probably 12-18 years old and follows the trends set from their friends and only downloads what they see on the charts, with the occasional search of their favorite minecraft, angry birds, or super mario. This is just my thoughts but I'm gonna do more digging into this. I find this Flappy Bird phenomenon fascinating.