Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 01:51 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Something else:
I don't know how it works exactly with your client, but you mentioned that it is somewhere around "a full game every week minimum".
If you don't do (or to don't want to do - can cause a lot of overhead easily) separate contracts per game:
Do you have a framework agreement/contract? If not, you should consider doing that.

Also, I got curious and googled around what standard contracts you can find online.
~30min didn't turn up one specifically for programming contracts.
But here is one from a consultant: http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/proje...e-contract/253

And one for a website project. Longer and more detailed, this gives you a good starting idea:
http://web-site-builders.com/FixedBidContract.pdf

If you feel like heavy reading, go here:
http://www.nd.gov/itd/standards/it-p...act-guidelines
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to MM_Adam

Some really good advice in here!

I second what PikPok mentioned about treading water. The thinner your margins get, the harder it'll be to justify to your staff why you're taking on the work if you gain nothing else from it.

Two things I'd look at implementing as a matter of process:
1. Master Service Agreement (MSA)
2. Work orders per project

The MSA will outline your overall terms of trade for all projects, including agreed rounds of changes; rate card; signoff process; ownership of IP & final code/art/audio; payment terms; period of engagement.

The work orders per project are your scope of work & project cost estimates. It's a clear statement of what is (and sometimes more importantly, what ISN'T) included in the specific project you're undertaking, and is governed by the terms agreed in the MSA.

This serves two purposes:
1. Makes it very clear to your partner what they can expect from you
2. Makes it far safer for you to work on projects knowing you have an agreed process in place for managing them

Sounds like you've proven your team can deliver quality in a timely fashion - so now's the time to negotiate the ongoing agreement. Your partner should welcome formalising it; they can rely on you, and you in turn can rely on them.

If you're at a loss where to start, here are two solid sources:
Design Is A Job by Mike Monteiro (US$9)
Contract Killer - open source contract for web dev & designers.

PM me if you'd like to chat some more; our company deals with middlemen on almost every project.