Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Looks pretty impressive. And I did finish the second ep from the wolf among us..

hmmm
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

As a huge fan of the first two games, and as somebody who shares the development team's general distaste of the publisher-mandated nonsense that directed the third and fourth games, I was really looking forward to this game bringing back everything that made the first games great.

Unfortunately, a lot of the feedback about the game has been negative or at best lukewarm, and most of that is entirely justified. The biggest issue is probably that the whole game, while admittedly being in large part a fanservice affair, feels like it was created by a team of self-indulgent fanfiction authors rather than the original professional development team.

The game is simultaneously bloated and devoid of content, with the entire first part consisting of not much more than endless irrelevant conversations taking place repeatedly across the same very small handful of locations (you'll spend the majority of this first part in the same three "rooms"). The original games were notable for their dialogue, but BS5 falls short in that most conversations are either the same tiny snippets of plot info reiterated over and over and over again in slightly different ways, or numbingly long, dull and pointless conversations with characters that have none of the charm or wit of the originals.

Perhaps Revolution would actually have been better off with somebody looking over their collective shoulders and pointing out that fully half of the conversations in the first part could have been axed for the sake of plot momentum and development, without losing anything of value at all. In the previous games, the cliffhanger that finally kicks the adventure into gear here right as the game ends would have arrived at about the two hour mark, and been all the more successful for it.

Revolution also committed a pretty major and specific faux pas as a result of taking the kitchen sink approach with their nods to previous games: pretty much none of the original voice actors returned to the series apart from those voicing George in the various languages, so despite shoving in many familiar faces, the characters almost all have completely different voices, with the actors quite perplexingly not even trying to imitate the original ones.

Lady Piermont, for example, remains one of the most well-remembered characters from the original game, and not only has she been pretty much shoehorned into the game in the laziest way, the character has a completely different voice and personality. If you're not going to even try to bring back a character properly, leave them out.

It's like that Family Guy gag about the wrong-sounding muppets:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Part two is supposed to have all of the world travel in it, but with the interminable drag of the first half and the fact that nothing at all happens before the last thirty seconds, the game is going to feel decidedly lopsided as a result. The developers have stated that the second part is actually shorter than the first, so I'm not holding out much hope. The original Broken Sword did Templars before Templars were cool (and immensely overused), but BS5 feels like a poor man's Dan Brown, which is saying something.

The first games held to a snappy pace, with the player (and characters) always making progress, opening up new areas, talking to interesting people and solving logical and occasionally painful puzzles. BS5 on the other hand just feels self-indulgent and bloated, wallows around literally going nowhere for a couple of hours before becoming interesting just as the game ends, and serves best as a cautionary tale about what happens when nobody edits or moderates the creative types involved (and given how much of my career has revolved around doing just that, I'm acutely aware of just how necessary it pretty much always is).

I'll have to wait for the concluding chapter to see if the game actually picks up properly, but it's going to feel decidedly rushed if it does turn out to be shorter than this one. At this point I'm just hoping the upcoming Gabriel Knight anniversary edition remake doesn't fall apart, and that already has one potential strike against it considering that they've had to recast the entire thing, losing the iconic voices and memorable deliveries.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:31 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

I'm very, very impressed with this game so much that I just purchased Director's Cut as well. The way they've cinematized the game to make the player feel they are playing a part in the movie/plot is remarkable. Definitely the best point and click adventure system I've ever come across.

This is a very high quality game professionally produced. An excellent title to pick up and enjoy.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM

How does it play on the iPhone? Is the screen size much of an issue?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

I currently only have an iPad 3 with iOS 7 on it. Wondering if that's too old an iPad to play this without the crashing people are talking about in many of the reviews on the App store? I am considering upgrading to a new iPad but can't decide whether to get the Mini w/Retina or the full-size iPad. Their specs seem the same and the Mini is $100 cheaper but not sure if it would be good for games like this (the reason I'm looking to get one because I love point and click games and the iPad has a decent amount of them) because of its smaller screen.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM

Playing on a 5th gen Touch, I can't even get past the first 10 minutes of gameplay. It simply crashes every time when the game tries to switch characters. Really disappointed
Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 PM
iPad, iOS 5.x

A new update just came out am downloading now. In the description for the update it says FLAPPY GOAT MINI GAME. Ha! Ha!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen1919 View Post
A new update just came out am downloading now. In the description for the update it says FLAPPY GOAT MINI GAME. Ha! Ha!
I'm not very far into it. If you find this mini-game, let us know where and how!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Put in another couple hours and it is pretty slow compared to the other 2 games. Had a weird hiccup in the hints during the Vera mall scene and would love to know what the "Stretch Goal" is or would have been. Anyone else notice that?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Part 2 has this:

http://revolution.co.uk/media/filer_...ab40/goat.jpeg