Any games like Broken Sword?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Validuser, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Validuser

Validuser Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I recently discovered broken sword and I'm absolutely hooked! The voice acting, the humor, and the beautiful animations are the highlights for me!
    Are there any other games out there similar to this? like, with voice acting and everything?

2. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Beneath a steel sky

3. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    YES! Broken Sword is AMAZING! I've yet to start the sequel, but I can't wait! The Hector series is pretty good, not as good as Broken Sword but still really good. I think you'd like Phoenix Wright as well.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    1112 series.

5. Validuser

Validuser Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I didn't even like point and click games until now :)! Thanks for the suggestions pal! Downloading awesome cop! What's monkey island about? Are the animations any good?

Ahh sucks it isn't there for the iPad.

Uh....there is no voice acting in this one. I think I'll pass, thanks!

Yes it is! I just started broken sword 2 and wow! The difference from broken sword 1 is immediate! The graphics and animations have been improved like crazy and it all looks freaking amazing! the voice acting is better than ever too....George is a funny dude lol :D! Definitely my fave game on the iOS so far!

I had the hector series a long time ago. It lacked the charm of broken sword and I think I played it for like 5 minutes. Is it worth giving it another try? Does it get interesting later?

Phoenix wright looks good! Is there voice acting involved? That's very important for me :)! Thanks a lot for the suggestions dude!

Thanks! Will check it out.

6. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Beneath a steel sky would probably look fine on iPad 2x cause it is all pixel art and would upscale nicely

7. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    I wouldn't pass on machinarium just because it doesn't have voice acting, it's a fantastic game, the artwork is simply outstanding

8. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Classics available in the Appstore:

Beneath A Steel Sky
    Monkey Island Series
    Flight of the Amazon Queen
    Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2

But the best bet is to jailbreak and get ScummVM - which plays almost any Point and Click adventure game. I beat Day of the Tentacle no problems and am very far in Kings Quest 6.

9. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Phoenix wright doesn't have voice acting. I think a lite would do it well. I didn't think I'd like it when I got it on sale, but I ended up loving it. For me it was on par if not better than Broken Sword.

I guess you could try Puzzle Agent. It's much different than Broken Sword, but it has voice acting and good animations. Some of the puzzles are ridiculous though. (Broken Sword had some tough puzzles as well)

And definetly give Hector another try! It really picks up after the first hour or so, when you manage to leave the police department and get to the crime scene.

10. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    City of secrets is pretty good, if you're ok with a more cartoony approach.