What do you use a tablet for?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Teknikal, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just pure curiosity on my part I've always been a laptop kind of guy, but I relented a few days ago and bought a 32gb Nexus 7 on an urge.

Now I'm not really sure what to really do with it I've been playing with it a lot of course customising it, testing video playback, gave shadowgun and RiptideGP a try, tried a book reader on it etc

My thoughts are it's pretty cool but it's not as good to read on as my Sony Reader, touch screens a little too large to actually game on in my opinion, videos aren't bad at all but transferring them is a nuisance.

I'm sure I'll use it a lot for browsing in bed etc but I'm still not sure I really see the appeal of tablets.

2. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Everything. My iPad that is.

I wouldn't even use a nexus.

3. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    What he said. I like tablets.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I use my iPad for most of the things I used to use my MacBook for, which is practically anything internet-related. Facebook, Skype, TouchArcade, email, general browsing, etc. I've started using the Kindle app more than my actual Kindle just because it's at hand, and after decades of reading text on a screen anyway, it's not that big of a deal to me. Plus the retina display reduces any discomfort it might have even more.

On top of that, I obviously use it for games as well as the occasional drawing/music creation, but I'm not exactly a pro at either of the latter, so the fact those apps haven't -quite- caught up to the standards of PC applications doesn't affect me.

I still use my PC for Photoshop and listening to music, because of the better storage.

5. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with you. I don't need a tablet. I have my phone and my laptop.

I lent my Ipad to a friend and haven't even thought of wanting to get it back.

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    So your laptop is basically a heavier and clumsier tablet with a worse battery... and you don't see why the tablet is better?

7. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

It's different. Since I'm a student, I use my laptop all the time to write reports and stuff, do presentations etc. I also prefer the notes to be printed out and not read from a tablet.

Since I watch movies before I go to bed, I prefer my laptop since it's sturdy and can be positioned well on the bed. With the iPad you either have to hold it, or risk it moving around the place.

I also play most of my iOS games on the phone as its much more convenient, and I don't have people looking over my shoulder when I play on the train or anywhere public.

8. Sambobsung

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Tsk, haven't you heard of air print? Just kidding, that shit just isn't worth it.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I can understand students preferring laptops, to be honest. The gap in application quality is getting smaller, but PC programs still have a slight edge. I can also type pretty damn fast on my iPad, but not quite as fast as with a keyboard. Those gaps are gonna continue to shrink though, and I look forward to it. I've also never tried printing anything from a tablet... there must be options by now.

I'd choose my iPad over a laptop for watching movies in bed though. My case would prop it up nicely, or I'd lean it against my legs. Even lightweight laptops are too heavy and I'd rather pass on heating up two of my more valuable glands. That said, I've got a huge-ass HDTV in my bedroom, so I don't actually use either for movies right now.

10. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

I'm curious, how does that work for you? I've got so much music that I've now having to delete some from my itunes library so I can fit more stuff into my phone.

But I rarely ever listen to music on my computer since I don't carry it with me all the time and it's not portable.

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't use iTunes for listening to music, I've got it all stored and backed up on two internal 1TB hard drives and one external in case I want to plug it into another PC/laptop/etc.

I do use iTunes for getting music onto my iPod Touch though, I select whatever albums I'm listening to most and throw them in there. I've got about 50 albums on iTunes right now and probably about 20 of them are selected to sync with my iPod. That'll last me months before I have to swap stuff around.

12. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Ah ok. I've always been the sort of person who wanted all their music on their phone, rather than chopping and changing since I never know what mood I'd be in.

But yeah, definitely regretting getting a 16GB phone >.>

13. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I can sympathise with the 16gb phone thing at the same time I bought my Nexus 7 I bought a 64gb MicroSDXC for my phone the 16gb I had in it was completely full. Now i've about 80gb with around 45gb free.

Was a real gamble to buy that card though as I wasn't completely sure the card would work on my phone and it was very pricey but space concerned me enough to go for it.

One thing I can say I do really like about the tablet is Google now I love that I can verbally ask it things like what song is playing and it gives fast correct answers (I've read that is on it's way to IOS as well), Jellybean 4.2.2 seems very quick and smooth as well but I've taken to using lightning Browser over Chrome for the flash capability.

Don't regret my tablet purchase for the price it's pretty amazing but I can't see it replacing my laptop in any real way.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    That's what I say about my MacBook :p

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Nothing, I really regret my iPad purchase. At least my better half gets some use out of it.

16. Sambobsung

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    There is. It's called iPrint or something, you need their Apple printers to be able to do so though D:

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'll say one other good thing about the Nexus 7 I just timed a full charge (well almost got a battery warning at 14%) from the 14% to 100% only took 2 hours almost exactly.

I have installed gsam battery monitor as well to try and gauge the battery life, at the minute it's telling me my average is 8 hours 23 minutes but I'd say that's quite good considering the way I've playing with it mostly games/video and trying everything else.

18. Morthizerm

Morthizerm Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Tablet is just more portable than laptop imo. Plus some functions that only works in tablet I think...

Basically everything has their pros and cons.

19. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Yeah tablets are much more versatile.

20. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Tablets are more of a convienence, in my opinion. They aren't quite as good as a PC (assuming thats the goal - a portable, small PC-like device), but there are limitations to what you can do with an iDevice. I'd prefer a tablet over a PC because they are much more convienent and mobile, although there are plenty of limitations and variables in the two.