TA's new look

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by killercow, Sep 3, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It doesn't matter what you "feel", the page is literally broken.

And to be honest, that's not my experience of using a blocker at all. Practically every single website becomes more streamlined and less cluttered. Broken websites are not to be expected.

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    .....or tolerated.

3. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    #103 sink_or_swim, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    I'm also missing the "new games" section.

4. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Seriously? Sites like this live and survive by doing ads, and you do not want to support them, but at the same time do not want to tolerate a lesser experience for not doing so.

5. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

:cool: Try Sprinkle Islands, it's free right now! (scnr) :rolleyes:

I'm almost exclusively using the forums (with a dedicated tA Safari instance on my Mac with 6–8 permanently open forum tabs). Just quick reading (flying over) the portal site once or twice in a week (with picking out one or two articles reading carefully) and that works like before (as well as the forums). As said before by someone: Forum software vBulletin could be updated.

Pretty often I'm looking for earlier reviews (or forum threads) of games being freshly on sale. With Google input site:toucharcade.com asphalt 8 (for example). This works well like before.

Good luck to you and your sites, Arn! My primary Mac, iOS, games and sales resource.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You're missing the point. It makes absolutely no difference whether everybody out there blocking ads is a greedy, selfish asshole or not. Driving them away is bad for business, and giving everybody a functional website is good for business. A webmaster, first and foremost, wants his site to work for as wide a range as people as possible, regardless of who they are, and that's the idea I was aiming for with my post.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I wasn't talking about ads specifically when I'm talking about a broken website.

8. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    His post had nothing to do with you.

9. teh_tommy

teh_tommy New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    iOS Developer
    Norway
    I am digging the new look and feel a lot, the only thing I think needs to be added is to give TA Plays and the podcast their top bar space (the "main" tab could be shortened to just the icon), I believe it's content deserving more spotlight. Other than that, well done!

10. wml

wml Active Member

Jul 4, 2009
    How about for each of the latest reviews and hot games items you add a link to the forum discussion of that game?

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    If you click a hot game, there will be a link for the forum discussion on the next page. I agree it should be easier to get from a review to a forum thread though. It's easy with the app, still not with the website unless the reviewer is savvy enough to include a link.

12. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    New page seems a bit messy, and trying to go for the modern "simple" look. I think it falls a bit short though. But as long as the forums don't get a crazy change, I don't really care how the front is.

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Now I can't read any full articles on the front page from my phone. Whether I try tapping the article title or "read more" link, I just get the following:

14. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Was a temp issue

15. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I think the day before the update, I was thinking -- for the millionth time -- how much the site needed a facelift. When the site went down for maintenance, I thought, "I bet they're implementing a redesign... Does that mean there won't be the 5 Minutes to Kill Yourself feature on the main page anymore?"

The update looks great on my computer and on mobile. The menus and pages listed on the right side are still a bit of an eyesore, but I guess you need most of those easily accessible.

A couple comments about the new look, though. I'm apparently logged in because I can see the same watch list I have on the iOS app. However, the top of the page still just says "login." And when I enter any name or password in that part, it just reloads the page and doesn't say anything about incorrect credentials; it just remains "login" at the top.

I did a quick search for Tetris Blitz from the front page, and was happy to see the results were closer to what I'd get in the app as opposed to the old site. However, when I clicked on the app icon, it tried to load the iTunes AppStore page for Tetris Monters, currently not available in the US store. I know there are claims of feature parity between the new site and the app, but I think if a search from the front page would show a game's profile -- including price history and links to articles -- the claims would be true.

That said, it still looks and works well for me. I generally through video links to load them on YouTube for a larger picture, but the new look provides a big improvement over the old design.

16. dacool561

dacool561 Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    The new site design doesn't show Star Ratings in reviews in my RSS Reader Anymore =(. Is there anyway to put this back so I can view the stars given on reviews from my RSS Reader? I use InoReader if that helps.

17. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Any thoughts on this? Seems like a problem to me. Do you want new visitors to think the site is broken?

18. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    The sidebar forum links are expandable now.

arn

19. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    search should work now

arn

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks! It even works on my phone, which the regular forum search box does not.