Best FPS controls?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by weedeatinflyincougar, Aug 15, 2009.

1. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    since everybody always complains about fps controls, i decided to start this thread.

ok, everybody post what they think would be the best fps controls for this device.

EXAMPLE: i think the best controls would be the following:
    a joystick for movement,
    using the screen as a trackpad for looking around,
    single tap anywhere to shoot,
    swipe up on the right side of the screen to jump,
    and corner buttons for everything else.

anybody got other ideas?

2. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I think Minigore controls but instead of autofire There would be a button to shoot.

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I kind of agree with you.
    Joystick to move, swipe empty screen to look around/aim, press fire button to fire.
    But the swipe to jump wouldn't work with swipe to look around/aim.
    I would rather just have a jump button and a stance button to crouch, lie down, stand up etc.

I think Gameloft's 'Modern Combat' is going to nail the controls and make it the first decent FPS on the iPhone.

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

The controlls of Caster in an FPS would be great! I think LiveFire will be abit like it.

5. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Modern Combat: Sandstorm has a control scheme laid out on IGN's iphone section go check it out. Doesn't sound that great to me :p

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    BIA has the best controls for a 3rd person/1st person shooter imo. Thats how it should be...

7. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    2 joysticks to look and move
    to shoot pull the 'look' joystick further up
    for jumping a button anywhere convenient
    crouching = swiping down, swipe up to get up
    zooming pinch function
    switch weapon - swipe left and right

and hopefully the new games use somethng decent or atleast allow custom settings

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Do you ever stop bitching on about Modern Combat: Sandstorm?
    The control method (also used in BIA and TS) is the best control method for me and many others (just take a look on the Modern Combat + Gang$tar threads).

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    These ideas are good but none of the joysticks should be set in place, they should appear where you put your thumb down so you don't constantly have to check you're touching the right area.

10. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Wow, that is probably the best control scheme ever. Good combo of BIA's dual sticks and MGST's pinch to zoom. Though switching weapons could also be done by tapping a button, and maybe to shoot it could follow the BIA's onscreen button as well.

11. arizonapete

arizonapete Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I would have thought that iFPS had the best controll setup yet I'm still not comfortable with it. 2 joysticks. Fire and jump button on opposite sides.

12. AE_GLOOM

AE_GLOOM Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    LDN, You Kay
    I think the controls in iFPS online are pretty good. The two analogs (left to move, right to look) and pressing those analogs to fire and jump (right to fire, left to jump. This particular control scheme works really well for me. IMO I don't really like tapping the screen to fire...

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Shoot by moving the look button up? Is anyone else seeing the problem there?

14. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Yea, you would just look up even more lol...

Maybe tapping above the move button?:confused:

15. AE_GLOOM

AE_GLOOM Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    LDN, You Kay
    Yeah I definately agree with this. I don't want to be distracted in the middle of a game to double check that my thumbs are in the right place. Something like the joystick in X2 football would work well.

16. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    the controls for livefire look good... but i need to test them out first before I say that they're the best

17. dominator246

Jul 3, 2009
    Dude, honestly, do you ever stop whining? You sound like an angry 7 year old grow up. Not everyone has to agree with you. Get on the forums, make a post about your opinion, be done. Not cry over other people's opinions. Some of us don't like a control scheme, whoop-dee-do. Get over it princess.

18. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Although everyone has a completely unjustified opinion because the game isn't even out yet, therefore you are as much in the wrong as he is.

While it may be hypocritical, I think that Modern Combat: Sandstorm's control scheme looks perfect for a FPS.

19. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Why on earth would you call it 'Minigore controls' when theres about 300 games before Minigore with those controls.

20. dominator246

Jul 3, 2009
    .......dual thumbsticks?....hahaha minigore controls lol :)