Cat Trap - Coming late 2009

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Avizzv92, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    This will be the first iPhone app and game I made, and working on it with a partner. I'm doing most of the programing he's doing most of the graphics, though at times our tasks will interchange... I will be using Cocos2d (which is new to me, but heard good things about it).

Our Company's Website: http://www.alternativevisuals.com

And now for the description...

Cat Trap will be a spin off of the old windows game Rodent's Revenge, though will not be a recreation. It will feature completely new graphics, features, and gameplay.

For those unfamiliar with this game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodent%27s_Revenge

You control the mouse as it pushes blocks in attempts to trap the cat before the cat catches you the mouse. As you move through the game it increases in difficulty as more cats appear and obstacles get in your way. Other game modes will be offered along with the classic levels ensuring hours of replay value!

Two Distinct Game Modes
    • Survival Mode - Essentially a never ending attack by cats, how long will you survive?
    • Classic Mode- Work your way through all 25 levels as they progress in difficulty.

High Scores and Achievements
    • As you work your way through the game earn achievements for mastering the game.
    • Go for the high score in survival mode and brag about it to everyone!

Gameplay and Graphics
    • Featuring unique gameplay elements that will challenge your pursuit of mastering the game! Including a variety of block types...
    • High quality graphics that give you a retro feel for the modern age.

All of this is subject to change, below is a concept image (not actual screen shot) of the game and how it will look.

[​IMG]

Once again this is subject to change and isn't complete, but will give you a general idea of the game.

I hope to release the game (pending delays, and anything else) late 2009 or possibly early 2010. This is a hobby for us and not expecting to get rich nor are we sacrificing much in regards to our work/school. So time will be a constraint sometimes...

I'm open to any comments, ideas, questions, or suggestions. I will continue to use this thread to keep everyone up to date as the game progresses, at the moment it's in the very early stages. I still need to finish a iPhone Programing book, I know Objective-C (hence the reason I'm using Cocos2d) but wanted to get a good foundation in programing for iPhone.

2. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    #2 Avizzv92, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Just would like to update the post with some glimpses of the progress of the game so far!

These screen shots are from the game directly as it is at this moment, their is still much to be added.

[​IMG]-[​IMG]-[​IMG]

These are two quick videos showing some of the game, the videos are a little old in that a few things changed and the blocks have been added since the videos have been recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvJ9cyidTw&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wDPTyK-sY

More information can be found in the blog http://alternativevisuals.blogspot.com/

3. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Looking good

4. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I would rather have swipe controls than on-screen buttons, but thanks for developing this. I use to spend hours on Rodent's Revenge lol :D

5. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    We were toying with the idea of having the swipe option, it will be easy to implement. We were also thinking about accelerometer tilt controls, but those could get awkward.

If there is enough interest in swipe controls I'll add it as an option, I'll be releasing a beta eventually and I can add it to the beta and see how people like/dislike it compared to the buttons.

6. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    OMG, I remember this game. Or else a game like it.

7. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    A screen shot from original might spark your memory...
    [​IMG]

I don't think their is any remakes, even for the PC. I thoroughly searched before I started the project to make sure it wasn't already done (mainly to make sure something similar wasn't already in app store). I didn't find a whole lot other then the original, seems the game was just forgotten.

If it turns out to be successful I will probably make a similar version for the Mac and charge the same .99 cent price for it. Though the one for the Mac will have different controls, layout, and size proportions. It will use the same general code which will make the port easy.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The GUI lay-out needs a massive overhaul. A couple suggestions:

Instead of having a cramped directional keypad, keep the keypad, but make them 4 large transparent square buttons.

Place the score and level on the upper left hand corner.

The pause button on the upper right hand corner (to avoid accidentally pressing it), with a restart option when it's tapped.

9. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    I probably will move the scores and that to the top, though I'm confused with what you suggested with the directional pad. Do you mean keep them in same location but just enlarge them? I'll definitely take your thoughts into consideration, anything to make the game better :)

10. stuffradio

stuffradio Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I remembered this game from when I first saw screenshots! Not sure I'd buy this one, but I do wish you luck :)

If you want a beta tester you can PM me.

11. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    #11 Avizzv92, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    Thanks, we are still a good way from needing beta testers. Probably around December I'll have open beta sign ups and your more then welcomed to assist!

I'm finishing up a concept of the improved GUI with larger D-Pad and instead of a button for pause you will just double tap the screen. Also added the level information and scoring to the top as suggested. And I want to redesign the main menu aswell.

12. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    Made a new video showing the new menus and updated GUI. I completely removed the directional pad controls for the menus and credits, it's now simply touch. As for the actual gameplay, I increased the D-Pad size, removed the pause and restart button, and put the game data on the top (Blue bar is blank at moment but game information will be there). To access the pause screen you double tap the screen.

As for gameplay the video shows the blocks and their behaviors, the mouse, and the cat. The cat's AI still needs improvement, the cat is still fairly easy to exploit and it gets confused sometimes :rolleyes:.

Hope you enjoy the video, and as always I'm open for comments.

LINK

13. Avizzv92

Jan 3, 2009
    #13 Avizzv92, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Just like to post another update of the game's progress. First off I made another improvement to the directional pad. I finally got a iPhone Developer Account and I found out the old one was still to small. This new one functions a whole lot better.

Here are some screen shots...
    [​IMG]
    This one shows an example of the game over screen and scoring for survival mode. Survival mode is too see how many cats you can trap before you loose all three lives, as the mode progresses the cats start appearing quicker. And if you don't manage your blocks well, you can get into a position where they are stuck in the corner or sides and can't be used!

[​IMG]
    This shows you the static blocks in action. Static blocks are ones that cannot be pushed around like the blue "default" blocks. This poses an obstacle quickly complicating a level and increasing the challenge.

[​IMG]
    Those small things scattered about this level are mouse traps. If the mouse goes over one it will be killed (unless your fast enough to run past them). The cats wont be harmed by them but you should try to avoid them.

So far, I have 25 planned levels plus the survival mode. I also integrated Openfeint into the game for highscores, achievements, and more. Some leader boards will be for the best survival mode score and the most cats trapped overall. I also plan to have a good number of achievements to try for as you progress through the game.

Here is another video (recorded from the simulator) some of it has changed since the video was made. The directional pad in this video is the old one but it gives you more examples of the gameplay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYsJ_YAoA6o&feature=related

Please share any of your questions, comments, or suggestions.