Share files, specifically custom levels.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Avizzv92, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    What way would I go about allowing users to share custom level files through my app? My level files would be extremely basic files and small in size. I figured I had two options, have a database open to everyone. Or have it setup where you can directly send a file to a specific person.

I'm unsure how I would go about doing this... Are there any free frameworks or services that offer this capability? If I would create a database of levels would I need to use my own server and somehow go through it that way.

If anyone has any experience with this or have done it with their own app please share some advice, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

2. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    The first option is def the best from a user's perspective, and that is what is most important.

We use Google App Engine to hold and handle these things. It works like a charm and it's free.

Pros with using Google App Engine:
    - it's free
    - they provide all servers, do backups, maintenance etc
    - their API is pretty good (std Java SE + their own libs)
    - you have database storage
    - you don't have to pay for a server somewhere or host one yourself (which means you have to be standy 24/7 and handle everything yourself, including buying the server, pay for electricity, do backups etc)

Cons:
    - the database is somewhat limited, depends on what you want to do
    - you have quotas of CPU power, database storage, network traffic etc, but you get new each month, and no you will not likely run out of capacity. But if you do have 100k+ requests each day, it's cheap. Don't think dollars, think cents.

http://code.google.com/appengine/