Turn based Tabletop for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Wanjajoral, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Wanjajoral

Wanjajoral New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi everybody,

I am a huge fan of tabletop games but unfortunately, I spend lots of my time travelling, so that I do not find the time very often to set up a game and play.

A few days ago I picked up "Hunters - Episode 1" for my iPod touch and this replicates the tabletop formular quite good.
    - you select your team
    - you equip your team
    - you field your team in turn based missions.

That made me thinking:
    Are there any tabletop wargames apps available for iOS already?
    Especially the Hunters game mechanics would be almost perfect for a "Space Hulk" kind of game and I would like to see such a game in the app store, but actually, the kind of game I would like to see most would go a step further:

- different races, each with min. 3-5 different units
    - a reasonable number of different equipment (armor, weapons, special items) for each race
    - a complete skirmish mode, where you can select a map, the enemy faction (for games against the AI) and the size of the game. Where you could select a small force for that skirmish mission (a few squads at last), place them on the map and get going from there
    - turn based action and no real time (there are good RTS game in the store already)
    - a solid and adjustable AI, local and online multiplayer

I could live without:
    - a story or campaign mode
    - experience points and levelling up (though this would be nice to have)

The setting could be Fantasy or SciFi though I would prefer SciFi.

What do you think:
    Is there such a game in the app store?
    Would you play such a game?

Thanks in advance for the discussion :)

Michael

2. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Battle for wesnoth is a brilliant turn based game

3. Trizz420

Trizz420 Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Civilization anyone?

4. Wanjajoral

Wanjajoral New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Well, I know, that there are plenty very good turn based strategy games in the app store (MechoWars, Neo Nectaris, Civ Rev, Battle for Wesnoth, Rogue Planet), but they do not provide the same kind of gameplay as a tabletop game. The key difference is, that in a tabletop game, you select your units before the game starts, creating a strategy rich metagame. During the game, there is no way to get new units, so you have to stick with your strategy and try to win the scenario.

The games you mentioned have you starting with a number of units you cannot select freely and usually you can generate new units during the game. Thoughthis allows for more flexibility, it is a different kind of gameplay.

But thanks anyways for the replies. Maybe someone else has an idea?

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #5 gunxsword, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Interesting thread and requirements...

I'm getting the idea that you would like a game like this right? At the start of the game, you prepare your troops and their equipment and send them into battle. I'm only using this game as an example to get a better understanding of the type of game you are looking for.

Either way, if you know Super Robot Taisen/Wars series then you should try out War of Eustrath. It fits your description. If you don't know the series, Wikipedia provides a pretty accurate description of the gameplay elements. I personally played around 4 of the games in the series.

If you wouldn't mind can you tell me what TBS/RTS game you have on your device (please exclude Starfront)? I'm interested in strategy games.

6. Wanjajoral

Wanjajoral New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yes, Squad command is such a game (though from what I've heard it's less than stellar).

Thanks for the tip with War of Eustrath. I just bought it and will give it a try. I am not a big fan of the anime Gundam/Macross/Evangelion setting but if the gameplay is solid, it might be my fix ;).

Currently, I have the following strategy games installed on my Pod:
    - Space Station (RTS, very simple, based on a flash game, ideal for short sessions)
    - Conquest! (RTS, cool graphics, deep gameplay, steep learning curve)
    - Rogue Planet (TBS, didn't have the time to play it yet, but I suppose it is similar to Advance Wars)
    - Civ Rev (TBS, well, you have to have that, right?)
    - Highborn (TBS, did not try that one yet)
    - Mecho Wars (TBS, nice version of Advance Wars, but I do not like the optic)
    - Red Alert (RTS, Command&Conquer for iOS)
    - Battle for Wesnoth (TBS, did not play it yet, but I know the Linux version and it is quite good)
    - Hunters: Episode 1 (TBS, solid game, wainting for more episodes)
    - Neo Nectaris (TBS, one of the grandfathers of TBS, similar to Battle Isle, which was my first TBS game ever)

7. Skypoint

Skypoint Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Viking Lords for iPad is a near-total copy of the fantasy tabletop game Battlelore.

But get it quick though, rumour on the board game geek forum has it that the designer of Battlelore is very upset about this and may take legal action in the near future.

8. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    #8 icepulse, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Did you try "Neuroshima Hex"? It's sublime.

9. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Indeed. Neuroshima Hex sent me right back to the golden days of tabletop gaming, games workshop and great fun. :) Buy that! The learning curve is a bit steep, but if want a quality game for 2-4 players that is it.

10. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #10 gunxsword, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    I have that game but upon reading Wanjajoral's requirements, I figured that Neuroshima Hex did not fit some of the descriptions eg can't choose what units to deploy before battle, no 'equipments' (though the units themselves are unique), only one playfield, and the AI tend to gang up on the player during 4 player matches. Though I heard an update is coming to include teamplay.

Edit: Found an upcoming game that almost perfectly meets your description Tactical Soldier

11. realityexists

realityexists Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I've also heard wizard hex is quite good from the dudes that made sword of fargoal.

12. Wanjajoral

Wanjajoral New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Thanks for the further comments.

Tactical Soldier will be something, I keep my eye on (I would like it better without the Zombie setting, the N64-style 3D graphics and with a skirmish mode, but it still looks promising).

Neuroshima Hex is, at least as I understand it, more like a tactical board game (similar to Hive) and not a tabletop game. I also read about the steep learning curve (requiring an additional rulebook) but I will give the lite version a try.

Wizard Hex I have, but this is clearly a board game and does not meet my requirements.

Thanks anyways and keep them coming ;) I'm sure somewhere in the Appstore, covered by thousands of other games, are some true tabletop games. Apple just makes it difficult for everybody to find them :)

13. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Viking Lords is one of my favorite turn-based war-strategy games on the ipad, I really hope it doesn't get pulled in the future.

14. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    WHY does everyone say Neuroshima Hex has a steep learning curve!? The rules can be learnt finishing a single match in lite version without referring to the rules!!! (for me at least... not bragging, more like raging)

Anyway, did some more 'research' and came up with some potential games:

Reign of Swords: Might just be what you're asking for.

Orions: Legends of Wizard. Card game, no unit movement during battle. Seems to have plenty of options for customization and strategies in battle.

Archon: Chess on drugs. When two units clash, the battle in real time......

Rimelands: Hammer of Thor - Em, turn-based dice-rolling RPG.

Transformers G1: Typical TBS affair, except you can upgrade units in battle. Difference from Advanced Wars: you only have a selection of units deployed (scripted) every battle and can deploy limited amounts of additional units later (with resources). EASY campaign. Interesting scenarios to be completed.

Uni War: Advanced Wars in hex with retro graphics.

The Pantheon Cycle: Shrouded Aspect: Hex TBS RPG. Heavy board game elements.

Reign of Swords 2...

Anyway, that's all I have for the moment.