Universal Legends of Yore (by Coke and Code)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by starjimstar, May 3, 2011.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #1 starjimstar, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011

Legends of Yore

Coke and Code
    Legends of Yore is a casual rogue like designed for mobile platforms. Choose your character and adventure through the du…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Legends of Yore is a casual rogue like designed for mobile platforms. Choose your character and adventure through the dungeons, gaining levels and experience to eventually become a hero. The game is free to play until level 20, where you can purchase an upgrade. If you don't choose to upgrade you can continue playing but with limited gold and experience gains.
    Information
    Seller:Coke and Code
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:May 02, 2011
    Updated:Jul 04, 2013
    Version:1054
    Size:36.9 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (5)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

This was later released:

Legends of Yore Full

Coke and Code
    NOTE: THIS IS A PRE-UPGRADED VERSION OF THE FREE GAME FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT IN APPLICATION PURCHASE. IF YOU HAVE ALRE…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    NOTE: THIS IS A PRE-UPGRADED VERSION OF THE FREE GAME FOR THOSE WHO DON'T WANT IN APPLICATION PURCHASE. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY UPGRADED YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY THIS. Legends of Yore is a casual rogue like designed for mobile platforms. Choose your character and adventure through the dungeons, gaining levels and experience to eventually become a hero. The game is free to play until level 20, where you can purchase an upgrade. If you don't choose to upgrade you can continue playing but with limited gold and experience gains.
    Information
    Seller:Coke and Code
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Jun 09, 2011
    Updated:Jul 04, 2013
    Version:1054
    Size:36.9 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

(Full game without IAP - but if you got the free and added the IAP you don't need to get this version)

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Pretty good day for Roguelikes...first the update to 100 Rogues, then the good-looking Pitman was released, and now this comes out for free.

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    This game is pretty cool I've only played for about 30 mins so far but it's looking good

4. I am definitely intrigued. Looks like a Nethack variant, given that it has a shop. Awesome! Definitely going to give this a go.

5. kevglass

kevglass Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Hi,

Just to mention there will be additional content for this game soon in an update. Also I apologise for the issues some people are having on early iPhone/Pod variants - I'm working to get these fixed as soon as possible.

Kev

6. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Looks great - any plans for a Universal or iPad release?

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Did anyone make an account? There is a "login" button but I don't see any information about what it does

8. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    The version up at the moment should be compatible with as far back at 3.1.4 and with iPads.

Kev

9. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    You don't need to use the login button if you don't want to save your games anywhere but on your phone. The game is actually playable on the web (http://www.legendsofyore.com) and on Android, along with iOS. Creating an account and saving your games to the internet lets you play your same adventure on the web and any of your devices.

Save games in the cloud :)

Kev

10. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Hopefully not Sony's cloud : D

But current-events jokes aside, this looks like an awesome game. Big fan of roguelikes.

11. aceyprime

Apr 23, 2010
    Just tried it out on the website and this game is a ton of fun. I love the art style and the ability to take your save games to any device is fantastic. Can't wait to try it out on my iPad later!

Question for the dev: are there magical/special/randomized weapons and/or armor? I played as a ranger and have only found regular bows (11 of them to be exact!), 2 leather helmets and a pair of leather gloves.

12. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Roguelike? Pixels? The morning's productivity just ground to a halt.

13. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Glad you enjoyed it so far. On the website the game is more up to date than it is on the iPhone at the moment. The update for the iPhone will be coming along as soon as I can get it tested and through the app store process :/

There are alot more items in the game, magic weapons, better armor, special relics - and of course a bunch of new enemies. They'll be in the next update for the iPhone, on the web version you need to reach level 8 to leave the first town to be able to see these (however, that takes too long for my liking at the moment, so I'm balancing that out at the moment).

Kev

14. aceyprime

Apr 23, 2010
    Sounds fantastic. The gameplay itself is superb and if you can provide that addictive sense of "I wonder what cool new weapon I'll find next...wow! a +3 bow of exploditude!" then you sir have achieved gaming perfection in my book. Keep up the great work!

15. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    The game does not launch on my Iphone 3g. Can't wait to get wifi to install it on my ipod or ipad 2!!!

16. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

This is is a nice game, love the retro look.

17. Okay, so I spent some time this morning being entirely unproductive at work trying the game out. I'm liking it, though it seems rather laggy when you try to move -- there's a significant pause between when you hit an arrow key and it responds, which is a little disconcerting.

However, that aside the game is an entertaining semi-Roguelike. One thing I haven't sussed out yet is whether there are secret doors or stuff hiding out of plain sight. I delved down the main dungeon to level 7 and found there was no key, no locked door to open with it, and no way to progress any further. I went to the graveyard afterward, went down to the first level -- and same thing happened. No way to progress below that. There's one more way to progress to the north but the guard tells you that you need more experience to pass, and since I've gone as far down as the game will let me, there's nothing left to get experience from. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, I could sell weapons at the weapon and armor shop, along with a leather helmet, but I couldn't sell leather vests. There also doesn't seem to be anything worth buying there as you start out with whatever weapon your class uses and there's nothing different at the shop. Am I missing something here, too?

Good game, needs instructions, has lots of promise. Looking forward to updates.

18. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, really useful :)

For interest, you don't actually have to use the on screen cursors, you can just tap where you want to go. You can turn the cursors off altogether if you like (in the options tab) - thats generally how I play.

Kev

19. I figured that out, but it works better to use the cursors if you want to strategically move so that a creature comes into striking distance so you get the first attack. On the other hand it's better to touch the screen to open a chest or treasure bag, as if you use the cursor to step over a bag its contents screen flashes for a moment then disappears, as you seem to automatically take all of its contents, which makes it hard to tell what it is you picked up.

What about my other issues, though? Any ideas?

20. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Sure, there's only a limited set of content at the moment - i.e. the town and graveyard. I didn't know about the touch screen bug on the dialog, I'll have that fixed asap. The dungeons do come to an end, so you may have simply found the bottom. The leather vest problem is also a bug, my apologises for that.

The next update brings a lot more content. 2 additional towns and 2 additional dungeons. The existing dungeons also get a revamp - and a set of new items are added (along with shops when you can buy them).

The app was submitted quite a while ago and hence the next update isn't far along. Hopefully it won't take so long to get through the approval system next time. Until then the web version can give you a taster of whats coming.

Kev