GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Agreed... I just got to brightsky system, and the section where you need to light up
    all 3 orbs with the orb you can carry
    is kickin my butt because of the jumping controls. I can't get Inco to jump when he gets to the top platform in the middle of the section... It always takes me 3-4 swipes to get him to jump he gets to the platform... It's frustraiting... And not in the fun way.

I had to quit and take a break before I got upset and started cussin it. =oP

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Man, I pulled that off on the second try. You do not have to light up all of them in one go ;).

3. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    #103 Altaem, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Haven't got that far. Stuck on Fate, Sunshine system.
    Oh well, back to chucking stuff at these targets.

%##€¥£%#! I've got to be doing this wrong. There's no way I'm meant to throw 2 orbs within a nanosecond of each other. After 10ish tries I've managed to hit both targets, but the cool down is way too fast for me.

Wouldn't mind the challenge if it wasn't such a bastard of a task to keep replacing my green orb.

Update: Solved it. I was doing it totally wrong.

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Ha, I thought I was going to be stuck on that bit forever. It seemed impossible, but I eventually noticed that there's another object that I completely overlooked. It's actually quite simple once you know how, and doesn't involve ridiculous timing at all.

5. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Ok made it to kindword. Now time to take a nice long break, the fun to aggravation ratio is way off.

I'll have to rethink my 5 star rating.

6. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha, thanks... I feel like an idiot now...

7. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    #107 Dene, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    okay - if you're feeling this way, you might not be controlling the game the optimal way for you. There is never, ever a reason you should jump when you don't want to. My guess would be that you're playing with 2-hands in the corners. Sometimes that's not the best way to contol the game. For example, did you know that pressing closer to Inco makes him move incredibly slowly and accurately?

If the standard controls don't do it for you, use the virtual stick instead. If that's not working for you, try the opposite. There are loads of options an no time limit. You'll find one that works for you.

If you need to move and throw, quickly, I'd suggest either standard controls (1-handed) or the onscreen joypad (1 hand on pad, the other to jump and throw).

Hope you find your perfect scheme!

[Edit: just so you know, I'm not denying there are some tough bits, of course. The 'shooting gallery' and a certain Power Pod socket come to mind, as is the first spinning gravity beam. I'm just saying that if the issue is 'wrong control at wrong time' then there are always alternative ways to play that pretty much kill that issue]

P.S. why can't i sleep now i'm in sf? I am so tiiiired.

8. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Dene - Is peter Molyneux's decision anything to do with the success of your game?! ;)

9. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I came so close to rage quitting on the rotating grav beam. Just couldn't get it to pick me up. Eventually got on after switching from single touch controls to virtual touchpad.

Then there was that damn sun piece. Had it been a star chart I would have left it after the 3rd miss and moved on. But I was forced to keep trying in order to progress. My wife could hear each near miss from several rooms away. I was feeling slightly dizzy by the time I finally collected the piece.

Reflecting on my rating, I can't justify anything less than a 5. While this game may be equal parts infuriating and fun, it's of exceptional high quality especially for a lone developer.

Sorely tempted to go back and do another level. But I should be going to sleep soon. Wonder how far I can get before it gets frustrating again? I'm guessing maybe half a world.

10. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Glad I pushed on, the next section was really fun.
    Shame it included a boss fight. The controls for the sun beam block the screen making those fights super annoying.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks... I've tried the virtual joypad, and didn't really like it much, so changed back to the default controls... But I was making the puzzle harder than it had to be. I'm just going to have to keep in mind that all puzzles can be completed using only one hand, and that should help me quite a bit.

BTW, just went through the first "boss" battle... You definitely pulled that section off flawlessly. Love the way you defeat it, and the attacks from it... Really, VERY nice job there! Up until that point, I was thinking that a boss battle would not have fit into the game at all, no matter how it was done. Was shown how wrong I was. =oD

Also... After that part, the game seems to get a little more... Hmmm... Sad? I guess is the word I'm lookin for. There's not always humor in the text sections. Not saying that's a bad thing, it still fits the mood exceptionally well, and is still very well written...

Actually, I think it's making me enjoy the game even more.

Thank you for Incoboto, I know it's early, but I think this has a very good possibility of winding up in my top 5 games of the year. IMO, a MUST buy for anyone with an iPad. =oD

12. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    The lens is created between your fingers and has a minumum size. If you can't see your target, you need to pinch a tiny bit less. The lens doesn't focus any tighter than around the 2 centimetre mark, so you can happily uncover the screen a bit without losing the battle! Hope this helps.

The flow of the battle should be:
    Open lens to max to search for heart (fingers too spread to cover much)
    Keep lens open to fight small shadows
    Focus lens on heart (fingers around 2cm apart - beware small shadows creeping up behind!)
    Feel paranoid.
    Open lens again in panic.

I designed it specifically to flow like that, and I know it's not immediately obvious. Like everything else, there's no death or time limit, so relax and enjoy the flow.

Hope this helps!

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damnit. I just made it to wheel turn, and... I hate this feeling. Knowing that you're coming up on the end of a game that you've become totally immersed in...

14. jc123

jc123 New Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Okay you solved FATE? Please message me a hint - I am so frustrated with these springy switches. I know I am missing something but at this point would appreciate a hint :) Love this game. thanks

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    k... still on Wheel Turn... and I'm having trouble getting the star in the tree on the Apostle planet...

I can't seem to get the second orb lit and make it down to be zoomed back up to the orange teleporter and then to the tree before the shield comes back on... I always get there just to be pushed away by the shield RIGHT before I touch the star... I've been stuck here for 30 minutes... =o/

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #116 syntheticvoid, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    ha... nevermind... figured it out... =oP

still required some pretty quick finger work though...

Merry Meet, here I come!

17. Photobooth

Photobooth Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
  18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I get a sorry that page does not exist message...

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    K... Just finished, then collected the one star map thingy I missed...

=o(

I'm only sad because it was such a GREAT game! And now it's over... And im not going to see anything new now... But I will definitely replay this one a couple times... And damnit, Incoboto is gonna stay with me for years. Thank you to the Dev for an amazing, heartfelt, touching game.

Ahhhh... It's over...

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am in the SunShine system and I have 29 Starpieces. There is a gate there that requires 30. If I go to the next system there is a reference to a "lens". I believe the SunShine system mentions a power glove. I do not recall getting either of those yet. Have I missed something? Any help would be appreciated and apologies if I have got this a bit jumbled.