Hardcore gamers does it matter how many onscreen buttons are in a game ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Krehol Games, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

I noticed alot of gamers here are more of the hardcore type . Of course any game that has any depth needs more to control the action. We are currently working on 2D action game and of course
    have onscreen buttons to control the action. We were wondering about onscreen button limits. How many onscreenbuttons would you feel is just right or too many. If you can name examples that would be a help also.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As many as needed and no more. Sorry for the glib answer, but it really depends in the game. SF4 has 4 main action buttons and an 8 direction virtual stick and it works great. That many controls in Zombieville would be stupid.

Perhaps you can share more info or even some preliminary layouts.

3. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Agreed.
    However, most games err on the side of too few buttons. I LOVED Prince of Persia-but sometimes the button combos got too weird. A couple extra buttons would have helped
    Then again, the screen would have been very cluttered
    It's a difficult balance to find. It's tough being a dev :p

4. Krehol Games

games

Ok let me clear up and ask in a better manner. What I mean is there any game you felt had to many or too few buttons. I will go study them and find the balance. I felt games like Avatar or zombieville which are totally different have 4-5 buttons displayed are ok. Did any game have to many buttons onscreen. We are making a 2D intense sidescroller and at this point we have 5 onscreen buttons that all have purpose. We just want to get a feel if hardcore gamers dont mind all of the buttons onscreen. So far the screen doesnt look cluttered and we found something new to make the buttons super responsive. Thanks for the feedback.

5. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I don't see how what type of gamer you are has to do with how many buttons you'll tolerate. But in general, only as many as necessary.

I don't think as many people fall into the "hardcore" gamer stereotype as you might think. Look how many top chart games are casual. In depth, hardcore games may sell well initially, but always yield to casual pick up and play games.

If a game is fun, and the controls work well, it doesn't matter how many you have on screen.

6. Krehol Games

casaul and hardcore

Well casual gamers tend to like games that have very few onscreen controls. Hardcore type gamers tend to not worry about onscreen controls from what Iam gathering. There is no "stereotyping" as you suggest , sorry if you felt that way. I also am not bring up sales and dont want to start hardcore vs. casual debate. Causal games like doodle jump ,angry birds and Momo Alien Starcatcher dont have but 1 or no onscreen controls. Therefore I have to look at 2D games like streetfighter or Altered beast which have onscreen controls. The only answer Iam looking for is if hardcore gamers dont mind them. From what Iam gathering so far is players overall dont care how much , as long they feel its a nessary. Please dont bring a debate into a very civil thread where we are traded knowlegde and opinion nicely . Thank you :)

7. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    This is a great topic and thank you for creating this thread. Personally, I think that games like Braveheart have the best controls for at least those kind of genres like action rpg. No on screen dpad or stick that gets in the way of the action or scenery whether transparent or not but you can click anywhere on screen at any given time and the character walks there. It would be perfect for genres like diablo or rts. I hatethe way square enix made the new secret of mana look control wise, its like they havent learnt a thing. At least make thecontrols off screen or off e gameplay window like super pizza boy has them underneath or some other side scrollers. Or dedicte a small portion of e whole bottom of the screen for them off the gameplay window.

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    I also wish that developers would make games for the stylus or games designed for the stylus and that recommend using it but also work with the finger. Basically games like the two ds zelda games have the best possible controls but no one on idevices designs them that way? How come?

9. Krehol Games

great feedback

Ok the controls on Pizza boy are similar to what we are doing , I just looked that game up real quick , thanks. As far as stylus controls , developers would like to do those but some gamers have problems and say oh the controls are bad or what do I do? Iam trying to make it very easy and optimal to control the game. So far We have been able to keep the buttons out of fields view. Only 1 of the buttons are near the top like in zombieville where you switch guns. The other buttons are under the view of the game , so you can see the action clear without obstruction. We feel we got it down now and probaly if everything goes well have screenshots in about 7-10 days from now. Thanks for your help guys!!

10. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

There's no debate, I'm sorry if it seemed that way. It's a valid topic I actually found interesting which is why I clicked on it.

I'm only saying that controls that work well in a game will be well received by anyone that plays it, regardless of what type of gamer they are. Youll never please everyone but as long as anything that distracts from or covers the screen serves a specific and necessary purpose, it belongs there. If you can optimize your control scheme to work better with fewer buttons, do so. If it takes the extra button to make it work how you think is best, do so.

Polish it till it's as good as its gonna get, and the effort will show, and pay off.

11. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Well for stylus those gamers that dont hsve one czn use s finger like their pinky that is small enough to be precise but the stylus is a lot smaller of a device than any finger and more precise. It can basically take up as much of a precision and hit an object small enough as a mouse icon.

12. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I understand your reasoning for asking the question but in all honestly, what hardcore gamers think about having several buttons onscreen doesn't matter.

What does is, how does it suit the game? Are they necessary? Can some buttons do double duty? (one tap for one action, a double tap for another action)?

My only problem with games that have a lot of buttons, is that due to the size of the screen, if they're placed wrong, you end up hitting buttons you don't want to hit. DH2 is a good example: I want to hit one special attack and end up using another because of placement and size.

13. Krehol Games

stylus

I have a DS so I know exactly what your talking about. I wish iphone did have a stylus and that would make these types of games come more to reality. People with big hands would complain about blocking the view LOL. Also to note different developers use different tools. In some game programming tools if the object or icon isnt big enough , the finger clicking on it wont register when you press on the screen. So remember sometimes developers want to do something but cant because of limitations. If iphone does ever come with stylus though , you will see lots of developers take advantage of it :)

14. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    There are styluses you can buy for the iphone and I believe many people especially with all the sketching and note taking apps for ipad own one for the ipad. But apple really dropped the ball by not having the, part of the package when you buy an ipad. But still they are a lot. Ore popukar on the ipad.

15. iPlayer3000

iPlayer3000 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    great idea

Your right , iphone/ipod should come with the stylus. Iam %100 positive if it did come with stylus, devs would alot more stylus games. But if developers made stylus games and people didnt have them they would complain. People dont want to spend for stylus , which causes a problem. Your right apple did drop the ball on that one!!

16. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Apple is so cheap they didnt even add the cover for the ipad yet surprisngly everyone has one so who knows if a really good game came out like zelda for the iphone or ipad ppl would maybe buy it. It would have to be qorth it though or a few games would have to come out.

17. iPlayer3000

iPlayer3000 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2010
    apple

Also if it had a side-out control pad, there would be no need for onscreen buttons. Hopefully they think about that in the future. With a control pad and 4 buttons we would rules the hand-held market period. Iam sure they could make a side-out control pad with -out adding to much wieght to the device. Now Iam dreaming LOL!!

18. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think you can't post something even more silly, you manage to do it. It's like a gift you have.

19. Krehol Games

thanks to all

Thanks for all the responses!! We have come up with the best way to have onscreen buttons thru your combined help.
    As for the gentleman who says we should have pull -out controls , that will never happen. Apple doesnt mind adding hourse-power to thier device. Apple however will not change the design that made them millions.

20. jaaron

jaaron Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I know Krehol got most of the feedback they were looking for, but I'd like to chime in a bit as I'm rather opinionated in this respect:

iOS games should have as few buttons as possible. Be merciless in cutting them out. Be creative in finding other solutions.

Infinity Blade is perhaps one of the best examples. Very few on screen buttons. Lots of gesture support, including for spells. Seriously, want to make something hardcore? Put in lots of gestures that people can memorize and combine.

Another great example: Deep Deep Dungeon. Very few on screen buttons. The battle system (while simple) relies on an innovative yet natural use of the device.

I'd prefer to see more of this. Stop relying on buttons and think of ways to eliminate them, even if that means the game ventures out of the traditional controls for its genre.

And I don't mind good menus, just, again, make the buttons big enough that it feels right for the device.