Pocket Legends (3D MMO) by Spacetime Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Spacetime Studios, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacetime Studios

Spacetime Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    #1 Spacetime Studios, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    We are proud to announce the launch of a revolutionary new game! Pocket Legends is a 3d online role-playing game where you can join thousands of players from around the world. And you can play it anywhere, anytime, with anyone!

For FREE!

It is available now for the iPad, the iPhone and iPod versions are in review.

We would like to extend a special thanks to those of you who helped us beta-test! We really appreciate your professionalism and discretion. You have helped shape the game into what it is now and we can’t thank you enough!

Full Disclosure for everyone else: We have been known on this site as ClockRocket Games; developers of Zombie Weatherman, Shotgun Granny, and a few other little things here and there. Last November we enlisted some of the more active TA members for our secret alpha.

This is the most vibrant and active community for iPhone development! We are thrilled to hear all of your opinions and thoughts on the game and where it should go from here.

- The Spacetime Studios Dev Team

www.spacetimestudios.com
    Come hang out with us on Facebook!

PS - We are eager to get the iPhone version into your hands. In the meantime, here is a flick from beta that shows the gameplay on a phone:

2. bamloki

bamloki Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Paramedic
    Graz, Austria
    Can you say approximately when this will appear for iPhone?
    it looks fantastic, great job!

3. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

Wait, you say anywhere, anytime, with anyone.
    Does that mean even for us touch users when we can't reach wi-fi?

4. Spacetime Studios

Spacetime Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    On the phone any time now... the apple approval guys have been pulling heroic hours but we are sure they will get to it as soon as they can.

You do need wireless (or edge or 3g) to play.

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Looks sweet:) I still play Shotgun Granny occasionally. That games underrated.

6. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

Omg, thank you guys. So it's sort of single player too? You have made something that i have never expected.

7. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    looks awesome guys!!
    i keep checking the appstore every 10minutes for it (iphone) :D

8. rogerchiu

rogerchiu Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Assistant Manager
    Hong Kong
    I love the trails song. Is it called "Ha Ha He He"?
    Will it release a mp3 version for fans to download?

9. TouchGamer1987

TouchGamer1987 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Grad Student
    New York City
    Ahhh

come out now!

10. Toggy

Toggy Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I like how they got the ipad touch out asap so they can say "blah blah blah" games at release!

I hope its not a trend of just focusing on the ipad. The touch is awesome and I dont have interest in the ipad until some improvments (may ne 2nd 3rd gen). So thanks for submiting both and not calling it Pocket Legends HD like all the other tools :)

Cant wait for the touch one to be posted. Usually it doesnt take this long! They must be busy today with the ipad release and all.

11. MilchMann

MilchMann Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Germany
    Looks great ; but : Why always this kiddy design !??

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I am just curious: why the secrecy?

And, while you guys are in "disclosure" mode, how about defining exactly what "free" means for this game?

Thanks.

13. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    its freemium. meaning you get to play the first 12levels for free but if you want to advance further itll cost in DLC (thats what i read on a article, but cbf finding link.. check the quanten squid RPG thread if you wanna find it)

14. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    I think it will be a trend for now as far as the ipad games are concerned they will concentrate on pushing them through first to show off there new hardware as for this game I can't wait looks awesome hope it plays as good as it looks

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's a pay-for-content model, not pay-for-playtime like Eliminate. The free game comes with one dungeon that has a level 12 cap; once you reach that, you can pay for additional dungeons. There's a clear limit to what you can actually pay content-wise (though you can spend more to customize your character, and they plan to keep adding content). In any event, by the time you get to level 12 you will have a clear idea whether you want to keep going or not.

It's really an awesome game, unlike anything currently available in the App Store. The "kiddie" design (as someone noted) is, as far as I'm concerned, a brilliant way to get around the technical limitations of the iPlatform and still deliver something that feels polished and uncompromised.

As to the secrecy, who knows. I know that it has been very difficult for me not to say anything during the (very long) beta test process. I got notice that the NDA is officially lifted, so I'll try to answer questions (unofficially) as I have time over the weekend.

16. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    same thing lol

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No it isn't. Pay for content is the traditional model; you finished Half-life 2 and want play more, you buy a copy of Half-Life 2 Part 1. Finished that, you buy HL2 P2. In this case, the core game is free, and there are no time limits to your advancent (unlike Eliminate) within it. When you are done with it, you can either choose to put the game away or buy more content.

18. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    #18 Scaramoosh, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Pay for Content puts me off, I'd rather have one price and get everything, safe in the knowledge I wont have to keep putting out money to advance. I also think there are better models like We Rule where you pay to advance quicker or even Everquest 2, where you pay for fluff items and expansions.

I just don't think this game is quality enough to make people serious enough to pay for more content. If it had a big brand like Warcraft or something then yeah. However from what I've seen this isn't really an IP that will draw yo in with story or compelling gameplay. Just something basic for people who want their online fix, cause the Iphone has a lack of it. So for them people, I'm sure they'll have fun but even still they ain't gonna be paying for content.

At no point am I saying this is a bad game because I haven't played it. I'm just saying it doesn't have the pulling power for this kind of model.

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    You sure have more patience than I do SZ. Maybe more tact too. ;)

In any case, pay-for-content is fine. Although paying for items, etc. has me a little concerned in a mmo context. But I guess I'll just see. Thanks for the info.

20. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I actually like what I am hearing about the price system with this game. Of course I am interested in hearing how much the extras with cost.

I think a free game where you can level a character to 12 is great. By then, I will either want to continue on and gladly pay to do so, or if the game isn't for me, I am out no money.