apple september 1st, 2010 special event keynote summery.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Godzilla[D00M], Sep 5, 2010.

1. Godzilla[D00M]

Godzilla[D00M] Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    i honestly have no idea if someone made a post on this already but im making one anyway discussing everything. i know i read one with all the new products but im gonna go through everything not just the new products ;).

steve started by saying that they opened new apple stores in paris france, london england, and shang high china. (i probably didnt spell that right ;)) he also said that they now had 300 apple stores total in 10 different countries, as well as talking about opening one in spain which will make 11. he also said that the apple store in san fransisco is now getting over a million visitors some days.

he also says that apple is giving 1 on 1 classes to people new to mac and that theyre giving 80,000 lessons a week. 50% of those people have bought their first mac.

then of course he has to talk about how many products theyve sold lol. they have sold 120 million ios devices ex: iphones, ipods, and ipads. he also says that are activating 230,000 ios operating systems per day not including updates. there are now 6.5 billion apps downloaded from the appstore, and every second 200 apps are downloaded. there are 250,000 apps on the appstore and 25,000 of those apps are now ipad apps. theyve also now sold 275 million ipods.

and then he starts to talk about ios 4.1. this update gives you bug fixes like bluetooth, proximity censor, andpreformance bugs on the iphone 3g. theyve also added hdr photos or high dynamic range photos. how this works is you press a button on top and instead of just taking the 1 regular photo you get that one plus an hdr photo which will add more detail and make the photos better in many cases. they also have allowed you to upload hd videos to youtube via wifi. they now offer tv show rentals too most likely for $1 although he didnt say in the video. 4.1 also has the long awaited game center on it.
    [​IMG]
    this is an example of the HDR photos: as you can see the one on the right is much better quality with the sky visible and there is much less glare.
    ios4.1 will be a free download via itunes sometime next week.

gamecenter: game center is designed for multiplayer games. for friends to get together and play together. it allows you to play games with friends by challenging them and it also lets you auto match with random people. you can then also compare high scores with your friends. this is also designed to let you find new games you may like. you can add people to friends, and collect achievements too. gamecenter lets you view leaderboards of games too. when you receive a challenge theres a little pop up on the screen saying so and so has challenged you a little text theyve sent you and you can accept or decline the challenge.
    [​IMG]
    this is what the gamecenter home screen looks like: at the top you have your account name. then theres the number of games you have, and some other things then theres a list of your games and on the bottem a little bar containing more options. probably achievements, friends lists, profile, and challenges.

project sword: this is a game in the presentation they used to show off gamecenter. since i was so impressed with the game i thought it should be mentioned. its called project sword, and its made by epic games. (the creator of the gears of war series.) project sword offers amazing graphics which surprised me very much when i saw it on the iphone. it looks like a game that youd expect to find on a psp. its an action role playing game taking place in midevil times. the game allows you to battle friends via game center. you swipe the screen to attack, and then the other can defend, dodge, and strike back in combos.
    [​IMG]
    heres a little opening scene showing off the great graphics of project sword.
    [​IMG]
    here it is walking around the town using to joy sticks to move and change view. you can see more of the amazing graphics.
    [​IMG]
    heres the beginning of an online battle through gamecenter.
    [​IMG]
    and heres part of the battle itself.
    project sword will be available in December.

ios 4.2: here they give us a sneak peek of the next operating system for the iphone, ipod touch, and ipad. the first part is they bring all of ios4 and 4.1 to the ipad. theyre now adding wireless printing. it allows you to print from pages and other apps and you can control the print from the multitask bar. theyve also changed the name of airtunes to airplay and added streaming videos and photos to it. this update will be coming later in november.

the new ipod shuffle: theyve now added the buttons of the second generation again and also kept the voice over(when your ipod talks to you and tells you what your listening to what playlist your on and when your battery needs charging.) theyve also made it smaller than the second generation shuffle while still sticking to the design. shuffle still has the clip to make it a great work out ipod. they also now have playlists that you can speak through and allow to pick a playlist through your voice. theyve also added genius to it. the new shuffle allows you to play music for 15 hours before you need to recharge. it is available in 5 colors: blue, green, pink, orange, and white. the 2gb model sells for $49.
    [​IMG]
    what the new shuffle looks like
    [​IMG]
    the shuffle in every color, plus in its packaging.

the new nano: the new ipod nano offers multitouch technology completely changing the look of the old nano. its much smaller (46% smaller 42% lighter than the previous model.), it offers multitouch technology, and has hard volume buttons and an off/on button on the top. theyve also added a clip to the back making it easier for working out. theyve also incorporated voiceover to it. it also can play music for 24 hours before dieing.
    [​IMG]
    a picture of the new nano.
    for more info on the nano check out another article ive written on the 6th generation nano.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=66205&highlight=ipod+nano

the new ipod touch: steve starts by saying that the ipod touch is the most popular ipod. the ipod touch is also the #1 portable game player in the world. the ipod touch outsells nintendo and sonys portable gaming devices combined. there have been over 1.5 billion games and entertainment apps downloaded. they now announce the ipod touch 4th generation. theyve made it much thinner so its more portable. the new ipod has the retina display of the iphone 4 with 4x the pixels of the old ipod, 326 pixels per inch, and 24 bit color. theyve also added the apple A4 chip the same chip that powers the iphone to boost the speed of the new ipod. they now have 3-axis gyro to improve gaming for the ipod. it has ios4.1 with all the upgrades the 1st and 2nd gen dont have plus game center, and they have a front and back facing camera(960x720 pixels) for taking HD videos and for facetime. the ipod touch 4th generation has 40 hours of music playback. ipods are 8gb for $229, 32gb for $299, and 64gb for $399. they will be availible sometime this week.
    [​IMG]
    heres the front of the new ipod touch.
    [​IMG]
    and heres a view from the side.

iTunes: steve begins by saying that there have been 11.7 billion song downloads, 450 million tv show downloads, 100 million movie downloads, and 35 million book downloads from itunes. there are over 160 million accounts on itunes now with credit card and 1-click in 23 countries. itunes is the #1 media download center in the world. there are also now over 12 million songs in the itunes store available for purchase.
    he now announces the latest update to itunes, itunes 10. in itunes 10 theyve added a new logo(picture below), theyve improved the look of it and made it more simple. they have made it so if you have over 5 songs on the same album instead of just repeating the name it shows you the album artwork along with the name. theyve also added a new feature called ping which is a "social network for music." this is designed to make it easier to share what music your listening to, what concerts your going to as well as see what your friends are listening too. you can follow your favorite artists and your friends and see what music theyre buying as well as (for artists) what music theyre uploading to itunes. pretty much it allows you to discover and share more music as well as share thoughts on music. ping is available to everyone with an itunes account. itunes 10 is now available.

2. Godzilla[D00M]

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    part 2:

because it was too many charectors i have to put some of it in a second post. heres the pics from itunes, apple tv info, and the video link.

[​IMG]
    new itunes logo.
    [​IMG]
    a page of the new ping network.

apple tv: they have come out with a new apple tv. first off it is much smaller. theyve also simplified it a lot. theyve added wifi to it too. it allows you to stream your music, tv shows, and movies from your computer to your tv so theres no syncing required. you no longer purchase anything theyre all rentals, so theres no more storage management, and it offers photo slideshows on your tv. also theyve designed it to be "silent, cool, and tiny." itunes offers the largest library of movies and hd movies. you can rent first run HD movies, then progressively starts to cost less as time goes on. hd tv shows now cost 99 cents to rent, all of which are commercial free. also, if you have netflix, you can stream content from there onto apple tv. you can watch videos from youtube, and all HD videos from youtube too, get photos from flickr, and videos and photos off of mobile me. you can also stream content from an ios device to apple tv using airplay. the apple tv now costs $99 instead of the $229 it used to cost. it will be available in 4 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    new apple tv in the bottem right corner of the old apple tv.
    [​IMG]
    the menu on apple tv.

those are all the announcements of apple for this special event. this is pretty much made for people who dont want to watch the 1 hour keynote presentation. ill post a link to it below anyway but embed has been disabled for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WIKvtI2Zuw

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Edit: Summary

Yah I know very insignificant, but still . . .

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Heh, that bothered me too, but I wasn't going to say anything. :p

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well I figured might as well make the thread as newsworthy as possible right? lol

6. Godzilla[D00M]

Jan 9, 2010
    student
    new jersey
    wait what are we talking about now?