iPhone Devs: Don't Use Vimeo

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arn, Dec 2, 2008.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I know a few devs have used Vimeo for their gameplay videos in the past. I tried using them last night since youtube was down. But apparently they don't allow gameplay videos on their site, so they pulled the Brothers in Arms video.

That's their call, I guess... but it just means that as a site, we'll avoid linking them in the future since the vids could get pulled at anytime. So, iPhone devs shouldn't use them for that purpose.

arn

2. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    really ? they didn't remove my 1112 trailer yet... maybe I should be worried!

3. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    #3 Chase, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Well, I guess it's better anyway if you're browsing on an iPhone and can watch it right there and then, instead of having to switch to a computer. Eh?

EDIT: And all of NGMOCO's videos are still up on Vimeo, which is odd. Hmmm... maybe it's because you didn't create it. Could be something like that jazz.

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    here's the policy http://vimeo.com/blog:140

and email
    "trailers" might get a pass... but it sounds vague.

arn

5. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Ah. Well thanks on the updates.

6. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

In my correspondence with them, they said game trailers are alright as long as you hold the IP rights to the material you upload.

So for developers, yes, posting videos of your own game should be fine.

Still doesn't change the fact that they seem to be fickle and somewhat negatively aligned toward games content in general. Doesn't matter much anyhow, with YouTube now moving to widescreen.

7. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I didn't upload my HD trailer there yet because I read somewhere "no advertising".

8. aghartastudio

aghartastudio Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Game designer/ director
    Lyon, France
    Is it possible to have good quality trailer on Youtube? each time I upload a file on it it looks like crap...
    So far Vimeo has the best quality ...
    but still it don't have all the usefull insight utilities of Youtube

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Not HD by any means, but when you post your link to the clip, always add "&fmt=18" without the quotation marks a the end of the url. That makes the viewers see the high quality stream instead of the default one.

Actually, YouTube is starting to offer some of the videos in 720p as well. I could be wrong but the setting for that is "&fmt=22". But as said, this won't work on most videos.

10. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    We found this out the hard way too, Arn. We switched to Motionbox for our HD video needs. Works great so far, and considerably cheaper to boot.

11. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How incredibly stupid of them! This is how they plan to take away some of YouTubes market share? Pathetic! Their specifics for what is allowed within gaming is vague as arn pointed out and really doesn't help their cause. At least with YouTube you know you can upload anything within reason without having to look at the T&Cs. With them now supporting HD stuff, YouTube might still be the best place to have everything and get more exposure. Vimeos loss!

12. whooley

whooley Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    What's the reasoning behind Vimeo's policy? Does anyone know?

13. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Actually, Vimeo's a great video site. Really great in my opinion. It's pretty much the Flickr of video. It's more for professionals. And I think they want to keep it that way and not have it be flooded by some videos that are on YouTube.

14. majicDave

majicDave Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I was attracted to vimeo because of their quality videos and nice looking interface, so have done a couple of vids on vimeo lately.

Since then I have noticed the non-promotional usage type stuff, and am not so sure I should be using them.

It would be a shame, but I have explored their site a bit more and I think I see the community they are trying to create, and from appearances that community excludes commercial software developers.

Oh well. Plenty of alternatives.

15. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I've been using Viddler a bunch instead of Vimeo and Youtube. They're not HD, but they have a nice private video feature. You can pass out a special URL (once enabled) of any video you upload so only certain people can see it. Plus they host your original file.

16. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

Well, considering many iPhone/iPod touch owners view TouchArcade on their devices, it just makes sense to put it on YouTube.

17. Warhorse Games

Warhorse Games Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Software Engineer
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Thanks for the tip! My Blackbeard's Assault preview looks much better, and I didn't even have to upload a new version:

HD You Tube URL:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCqWZB1VzM&fmt=22

18. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Holy crap, it looks great!

I didn't expect it to work with user-uploaded videos (as opposed to their commercial partners).

Kind of ironic that the video stream has more resolution than the screen you're filming :D

19. A friend tipped me off to a potential before I uploaded the BurnBall Video to Vimeo so I emailed them and asked them. Turns out it's okay for the developer to upload, as long as he sticks within their policy:

If you are the developer, you can upload a video of what you have made, as long as it is not a sales advertisement with pricing and purchase info. Make sure to include in the description that you were the developer. We delete a large number of gaming videos every day.

It might be a better video all around if you did more than just show the game play demo and shot some video of yourself talking about making it. Maybe that's what you were already thinking.

Best wishes,

dalas verdugo
    Community Director - Vimeo.com​