App Store Review Time - Tweet your Review Time, This Site Tracks The Avg

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TinyTechnician, Apr 5, 2011.

1. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I just found out about this site and thought it was a good idea so I will be contributing to it: App Store Review Time

NOTE: This is not my site, I just thought it was a good idea and is probably the most common question devs ask about.

Obviously the calculated avg review time is only as good as the submissions it gets so if there are any devs out there (that use twitter) feel free to contribute if you want. The more the merrier :)

2. Runloop

Runloop Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    I was going to make a site that did exactly this ages ago. I even bought the url approvaltimes.com. I was going to let willing developers send a copy of the apple ITC emails to a specific address and then it would track the reviews. Turned out setting up another users in ITC gave too much access so I canned the idea. I'm glad to see someone has come up with a way though.

3. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, I just do an informal poll on Twitter whenever we upload something, haha

4. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
    By far the easiest way and probably just as accurate.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  6. Runloop

Nov 16, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Southampton, UK
  7. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    The problem with those figure is it is not an average time for submission, and is often not updated, it was still showing figures for early November at New Year.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well i dont follow it as close as you by faar but thoose are still official numbers taken by thousands of review processes a week, not a handfull indie devs who send their data to a website.. So i rather stick to average older data thats official.

At the end the average review time was around 7 days for a long time know.. So i'm not even shure why one need perfectly accurate data on something thats entirely dependent on the product you send in.

9. DaveVerwer

DaveVerwer New Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Hey

Thanks for posting this TinyTechnician, I made the site and really appreciate you spreading the word ;)

I was aware of the official apple stats, but there were a couple of reasons I did it anyway. As far as I am aware, Apple does not provide any stats for the Mac app store (although they may in the future). But also, I can do a bit more with the data than Apple publish, for example I added some graphs to the site today to allow people to drill down into the data a little. Not sure what else I am going to add but there are possibilities.

It won't be a completely accurate value (it was intended only to be a guide figure really) because as mr.Ugly said it depends a little on the type of app but hopefully it will be useful to some people.

Cheers
    Dave

10. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    @Runloop um, you feel stupid? Well I feel really stupid because I cannot even find the review times. :confused:

Can a dev in the US confirm there is a review time on the link @mr.Ulgy sent?

The only numbers I see are the "Percentage of iOS submissions reviewed within the last 7 days" stats. Well I didn't even know that existed so thanks for the link @mr.Ulgy :)

It doesn't give a review "time" though so I don't really find it helpful to know that 78% of apps have been reviewed in the last 7 days (they could have been "waiting for review" for weeks).

11. DaveVerwer

DaveVerwer New Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I think those are what he was referring to, they are useful but as you say do not show the actual times. I think my site can go hand in hand with it though. After all, more data = good! :)

12. TinyTechnician

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I like the idea and since I have an app update in review I'll be adding to the review time avg once I get approved ;)

Sinecure Industries stated they just do a twitter poll whenever they care to know the "going" review time. Obviously they have awesome and responsive followers (props for that).

Indie devs just starting out though, 1) might not use twitter (yet) or 2) might not have a follower count to get an immediate "going" review time poll...so the site will definitely be a resource to them.

Besides, I think any dev forum I've been to has the uber "review time" thread in it. Glad I can just go to a site now instead.