Playing to your Strengths - What are you best at?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Sinecure Industries, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I wrote this blog entry a few weeks ago Playing to your strengths and it really helped me reflect on what we can and can't do.

So what are you best at? What do you wish you could do better? Would you ever seek help?

2. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    My strengths are certainly coding and overall design. I enjoy game development and programming, and I also like creating, expanding, and detailing ideas, concepts, and design for projects.

I am by no means graphically talented, and I stay away from that. It would take me 4 times as long to create something that is 10x worse than what any decent designer can produce. I wish I was somewhat better in design, but personally I like having the opposing opinions and ideas that a second person would provide, and wasting my time trying to churn out graphics myself is the same as spending a lot of money on great graphics except the end result from me doing it would suck every time. lol.

That being said, I would always outsource my graphics needs for any future and current products. I will also usually always outsource audio. I never knew how much work went into audio and music before Goop, and it's a lot of work.

I wish also that I was better at marketing, but I think that will come with time, trial and error, persistance, as well as luck.

3. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    We're complete opposites over here, big on the programming and business side, not so hot on the graphics..

I propose a joint venture :D

4. Sinecure Industries

Yay!

5. Sinecure Industries

That luck thing is always the trickiest part. I had an amazing plan for Acts of Kindness, follower through, great response on it... and it translated to 24 downloads.

Then again, perhaps playing to people's altruistic side to begin with wasn't the best idea...

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Great post Sinecure Industries, and I agree with you! :)