Crowd Funding

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CharredDirt, Aug 28, 2012.

1. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

#1 CharredDirt, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    I've been looking into Crowdfunding options like Indie GoGo and Kickstarter. I've got a deep down feeling that I won't hit my goals of $3-4K if I do start a campaign to fund my humble Indie Game. Anybody else have experience with these and care to share? Which did you use and why? If you were successful, mind sharing what you did?

2. Synaptic Wave

Synaptic Wave Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    PR manager at Synaptic Wave
    Odessa, Ukraine
    #2 Synaptic Wave, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Hey, personally, I've never crowdfunded anything, however, apptamin has just published a series of articles on crowdfunding. Go to their blog here, maybe you'll find something interesting.

3. Jaeff

Jaeff Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Selfemployed gamedeveloper
    Denmark
    Crowdfunding is extremely tricky. You need a decent idea along with a brilliant presentation and interest from the right people. It becomes even more tricky when working with iOS games since you have a limited amount of promotion codes you can promise to backers.

Not to long ago gamasutra had a series of articles / blogs about kickstarter that you might find interesting. If I wasn't so close to lunch time I would google them for you. ;-)

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well a kickstarter with a Goal of 3-4k sound very low.. what would this little amount of money be good for?

In terms of game dev cost this would make no difference in most projects.

So the question would be if you would be able to "sell" your "needs" to the kickstarter users.

5. obscenemedia.com

obscenemedia.com Active Member

Hey CharredDirt,

Have you moved forward with crowd funding yet? I'm working on my first demo/video and I plan on using kickstarter within the next 3-4 weeks. I could use any advice if you have any to share.

Jared Martin
    http://www.facebook.com/obscenemedia

6. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Actually, $3-4K would be just enough to purchase a commercial license to use Unity engine (for iOS) instead of some self-developed tech or Cocos or something

But I agree on the point you were making:
    Kickstarter is best for projects needing a huge amount of funding, say maybe $10K or more

7. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    We successfully ran a small kickstarter for our game RoboHero (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bravadowaffle/roboarena-asynchronous-multiplayer-tactical-ios-ga). The cash didn't help much, though it did help a little. It was the community of fans we built around the app from the Kickstarter that ended up helping a great deal.

The trick to running a good kickstarter as an Indie is leveraging your community. If you don't have a fan base already, and if you don't have a large social network of people who will help, then you probably are better off not doing it. Build your community of fans first, then use them to fund a kickstarter. It really doesn't work the other way around for a new indie game developer.

8. obscenemedia.com

Thanks for the info BravadoWaffle. That's what I figured would be the case. I just started growing my community yesterday so it looks like I have a ways to go but I won't be giving up anytime soon.

Jared Martin
    Http://www.facebook.com/obscenemedia

9. I find it little more expensive then it should.

10. obscenemedia.com

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on starting a kickstarter campaign around October 12th and I hope to get some feedback on my description/image for the discovery page. Any feedback, positive or negative, is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]