Gameloft IAP Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scarypharaoh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    ok, didnt realise this was gonna be free with IAP to unlock the full game. interesting change of direction for gameloft?

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting anti piracy method. Nice gameloft!

3. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Hmm. Not sure if I like this free + IAP change.

4. killercow

It changes nothing for you, i'm sure it will be the same price (5-6.99 as usual). The only thing is now there's a better anti piracy method but the game will appear on the "free" tab of the appstore and well we all know how much stars the games have...

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    It says "Buy full game for $9.99" from within game, but not sure what currency that refers to.

I'm playing it on 2x on the ipad and theres a slight flickering which I find distracting.

When you press the mount/dismount horse button, the horse just magically appears!

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Interesting move, it won't stop piracy though. Like at all.

Not sure if I'll get this one, doesn't look like I'll like it, plus I don't have much faith in GL.

7. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Im surprised gameloft made a game with IAP .

8. killercow

So it's 6.99-7.99 in USD not surprising but thanks for the info! About the horse i'm not surprised either, you would be tired of the animation after a while if he came from somewhere else...

9. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Interesting, I wonder if the free+IAP is going to become standard for Gameloft.

10. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    So it is possible to download it at the NZ app store if your in the U.S?

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Of course. Downloading myself from NZ while in Germany. You just can't buy it until you have NZ$ or you wait 'til it is released in your country.

12. Lazuli

Lazuli Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I don't understand this mentality at all, you'd have happily bought the game upfront but because it's set up to give you a taste of gameplay then pay for the full game it's somehow shady?

13. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    All youever do is spam your opinion on why IAP sucks. Care to give any support?

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    You obviously didn't bother to find out how the IAP actually works. All Gameloft are doing here is getting rid of the lite/premium versions and just having one app which is free to try, and the full game can be unlocked for the same price that you'd pay for the app anyway. It makes perfect sense, it's better for us consumers and it will prevent piracy.

15. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Part of this might be Gameloft getting defensive about their own reputation...
    Gameloft sales are so famous, I know a lot of gamers that simply flag a new release and wait a few months until it drops to .99.

Appshopper or somewhere really needs to start tracking sales on the IAP's.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #16 Vovin, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Yep... can't understand why people are against IAPs.

Hey - in the IAP window where you can buy the full game, they say it is an open world game.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

What?

Btw: first telling us that you'll stop bragging about IAPs and immediately bragging about IAPs after that is... errr...

18. mateofalcone

mateofalcone Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    This is why I personally dislike IAP.

19. killercow

I don't think "support" is what he meant but rather "explanation". I can't see why you'd be against it since it changes nothing for you. It's the same as buying it full price without any iap.

20. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm not sure what is wrong with IAP when it's done this way. It's one thing when a game uses IAP to charge for stuff that shouldn't cost extra, but this is basically just a demo which you can then upgrade through the app instead of having to purchase and download the full version separately. Why is that bad?