Skill based games, pref RPGs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by vibliribland, Jun 11, 2012.

1. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I'm getting tired of all the "grind to the end" and "this is skill based we promise, but you have to grind for in game currency OR but it as IAP in order to advance"-kind of games.

All new RPGs are just grind until you get bored.

What are some good skill and reflex based games?
    Preferably RPGs, but other game types or ok as well.

Dark souls really ruined gaming :)

Thx.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Hmmm... I think Crimsonheart fits the bill. There's certainly some IAP-able segments to it, but they can fully be ignored. It's more challenging than something like Zenonia.

The IAP is to a network dungeon that I've never once visited.

There is grind, but it is only if you want to grind bosses or mobs for drops that you would need to create ultra-powerful equipment.

3. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Games from gamevil and com2us is heavily affected by IAP.
    Mage gauntlet is good and skill based, no grind needing.

4. vibliribland

vibliribland Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Thx for the tips!

Played both tough.

Mage gauntlet was a good suggestion, mage gauntlet and Swordigo where both good skill based RPGs.

Any good skill based games that don't count as RPGs? Without forcin you to buy IAP or grind for coins like in Nuts for example.

Thx

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Solomon's keep.
    Secret of mana.
    Both rpg-ish. Both skill based. No grinding needed.
    Pocket rpg is actually pretty good too. I didn't feel the need to do any grinding in the course of beating this game.

6. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012

The Infinity Blade series are skill based.

7. yvcgamer

yvcgamer Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Belgium
    But there is a lot of grinding in them too.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #8 Exact-Psience, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
    That's too broad, but here are a few suggestions in various genres. As for skill-based, I assume you mean player skills... So on with the list.

Epoch - Was free recently... Skill-based, and not as grindy as Infinity Blade titles. Strategy and preparation works a great deal too, more than what Infinity Blade needs.

Project 83113 - pseudo runner mixed into bullet hell platforming action game. Skill based? Definitely.

Invader Hunter - the closest thing to Monster Hunter (non-iOS version). Definitely skill-based, and only minor grinding is required. Devs said there's 25% chance a monster drops the rares.

774 Deaths - you wont get past first stage without skills. Coordination, timing, dexterity. Hardcore hands down. Zero grinding, but will get you replaying stages to complete them.

Monkey Ninja - Runner with a twist. Zero grinding. Skill-based.

Fireball SE - Totally skill-based arena survival mayhem.

Sunday Morning RPG - An RPG, but one that never forces you to grind. Youre skills determine how effective your character's actions are.

Neuroshima Hex - Strategic skills required to play competitively online. Does not have a place for grinding.

League of Evil 1 & 2 - Platforming at its best. Totally skill-based. Especially if you want to climb the leaderboards. Grinding non-existent. But you may want to replay to improve completion times.

I hope that helps.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #9 backtothis, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the reminder. Wanted this game at the time it came out, but forgot to buy it, lol. Just grabbed it.

Edit: Holy crap, this game is awesome. Trying to remember the old games I wanted back then but never bought, since I have a ton of credits at the moment and nothing to buy.

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    One definitely skill based game that I recently picked up and had a blast with is called Aaaaaaaa! (perhaps someone could post the proper name); I grabbed it after seeing how popular it was on this site with some of the hardcore gamers that have been posting on this site for as long as I can remember. It's supposedly a base-jumping game; but, really it's a "fall quickly while racking up points by doing dangerous things but not so dangerous you die" game :)

11. proof21

May 25, 2012
    Spellsword and Super Quick Hook are also skill based, with lite RPG elements, and both are incredible games.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There's much grinding involved to max out stuff. But if the TC can get over that, I stringly recommend Spellsword. :D

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Glad i have. And im glad you enjoy it. Pretty solid game right there. :)

14. proof21

May 25, 2012
    True but the "grinding" is actually fun :)

15. itouchbd

itouchbd Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    i'd recommend battleheart amazing game. its a great style for mobile gaming because the controls work very well for it and there is kinda some grinding but its still really fun.

16. proof21

May 25, 2012
    I tend to mostly agree with reviews on the games that are praised, but I never understood why this game got such good reviews.

I found it to be extremely slow placed, time consuming, and unrewarding. Also I found the art direction bland.

And this game is actually very grind heavy, in fact IMO it is the epitome of grinding in games, and it feels like work rather than fun.

I spent a few hrs with it, and realized that it just wasn't worth it.....and then.....deleted it.

17. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011

i think u mean this one AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! (Force = Mass x Acceleration)

I believe that the most skill based game i know would be tilt to live? old classic i dont think anyone plays anymore but its great :D only 1 iap and thats just to unlock a mode and one extra powerup which doesnt change the game at all. Also another game would be One Single Life or Super Crate Box, requires timing and precision no grinding as these are all platformers no rpgs D: