Hit N'Run. Post about piracy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by romanc, Mar 25, 2010.

1. romanc

romanc Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hi,

Igor Petrov is here, from Mitkin & Petrov Productions.
    I want to let all of you know that there is a pirated version of my game, Hit N'Run is available on the torrents.

[​IMG]

I know, that there are some of you who already downloaded and installed pirated copy of my game on your jailbroken iPhones. I can not do anything with it. Shame on you!

And yes, the price of the game is $2.99 "is a bit pricey" and the screens and trailer looks nice, so you've made an excuse for yourself. You might say, that you are going to see what the game is and if you like it, you definitely will buy it. I know, you would not.

I'd like to thank all of my paying customers, I know you like Hit N'Run. I received tons of positive reviews, and suggestions. I WILL continue developing it, adding a new features and making it better.

I do not think I will make a considerable profit, because of the piracy, but the developing is a great fun for me, so I'm ok with it.

I only wanted to say that I am very disappointed and a bit sad.

Regards,

Igor Petrov

2. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Cheer up. You just got yourself a new customer :)

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i can almost bet you're about to get a whole wave of pms begging for promo codes :p

4. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    In which you should report such users if they do so.

5. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i don't see a problem when people beg for promo codes - they are welcome to try (doesn't hurt to ask) - but, in the end the developer has to decide if they want to give it out :) in regards to piracy? welcome to the digital age. it isn't going to go away, better just to ignore it and focus on your real customers..

i'm hosting a 6 week give-away of my game and watch games (birthday bash) - they have 6 weeks to get a free copy and be part of it.. instead of just being a pirate. it happens, even when your apps are 99c.

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

mhm.
    hear, hear!

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Code beggars - especially people who review games officially on app websites - simply suck.

8. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #8 ColeDaddy, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    I'd have to disagree. There are people who aren't so much "code beggars" as they are individuals who care about the industry and want to help promote it. Developers also love the free publicity it generates as well. If this is a mode of advertising and marketing that is acceptable and both parties involved keep their ends of the bargain, then all is copacetic :cool:

However, to the developer who initiated this thread, I do agree that piracy sucks. I have someone encouraging me to jail break by iTouch, but it just ain't worth it, y'know? Especially when the price point for these apps are far cheaper than those offered on most mobile platforms.

9. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I am totally buying this game, if only to spite piracy

Buy yourself a coffee or something with my two bucks :)

10. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    hahahaha +10000 for using the word "copacetic" i LOVE that word :)

also i dont mean no disrespect to the dev here but honestly isnt piracy really a non issue now? you just gotta think outside the box :) shame on you for not leveraging the tools available. i mean seriously don't let this get you down, dont dwell on this, dont blame piracy for your products shortcomings. its ultimately your fault, get up and do something about it and last but certinaly not least dont give up :)

take advantage of this, turn this negative into a positive, how can you leverage this? what could you have done to prevent this from happening?

inquiring minds want to know................

what are you going to do about this?

much love and good luck!!

i hope you don't take this the wrong way, but im just trying to get you pumped up!!!

11. debtOFskittles

debtOFskittles Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    that's what people say who pirate :)

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Well, will you like it if all the 7000+ active forum members start PM'ing you for codes? How great it'll be all the devs to be bombarded with PM's from members begging a code for their games? Doubt we'll have too many devs logging into TA if that happens :)

The rule for no code begging is there to make sure devs have the best possible experience on TA instead of being asked for a code. If you wish to give away codes, you can always create a thread in the promo section telling members to PM if they are interested in getting a free copy but please do not encourage members to beg for codes. Anyone found to be begging for codes in forums or via PM will be given infractions and possibly a timeout/Ban if they are caught again.

13. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i actually wasn't aware of this - and, come to think of it there is only a limit of 200 messages.. so, you are right. i've always been posting codes or instructions on how to get them.. but if someone does PM me, which they have in the past - i haven't had to tell them to go away.. i prefer contact via email than PM to be honest with you.

14. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    I was given £2 today to come out for the rain for ten minutes and sample Mini Cheddars for market research. Just to spite the pirates, you are more than welcome to my £1.79 for Hit n'run. I was gonna wait for some more reviews or a sale... but hey. That £2 was free. ;)

Piracy does annoy me. not so much the shameless pirates. Lord knows my local's barman is brazen, but he's honest about it. Its the 'try before I buy' I can't believe more than 1% of people who give that as an excuse then actually go on and buy games they like.

if you're gonna pirate, then at least man up and admit it. Don't blame the dev for not making a lite version.

15. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    hahahaha what gave you that idea? ;)

piracy is a non issue, there are tools & solutions available; choosing to ignore these options would be like leaving your front door unlocked and practically asking to get robbed.........

im blaming the dev here simply because i want to get him pumped up!!

tru its not his fault 2000+ ppl decided to download his app without compensating him for it, but then again thats no excuse to give up!!

just trying to encourage the guy, he seemed really down and in need of a pep talk.......

failure is awesome!! because you discover what went wrong and ultimately improve yourself; those who always succeed are basically cheaters ;)

16. xPEACEMAKERx

xPEACEMAKERx Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    West Coast
    Just to be fair, it's 20,000+ people, not 2000+. Big difference. It's actually $88,811.97 difference. I'd be a little put off too.

17. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i think you've got it wrong - i am a developer.

there are tools/solutions out there but in the long run, they will also get broken. as a developer though, i am concerned if i have to put my users through hoops and messing around just to delay the piracy from happening. i tried to experiment a lot with anti-piracy solutions over 10 years ago - and the end result was i made it more cumbersome for my real users (the ones that pay) when the hacking community eventually built a solution that was easier to install and use than the "custom version" i ended up building.

shame on me. fool me twice? then.. who is the fool?

18. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    I'm not talking about DRM I'm talking about the future think outside the box :)

19. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i think people have.. how has that advertising route worked for most people? if anything; i personally would prefer to pay $0.99 than get smothered in adverts all the time.

20. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i actually blame apple.

they should be more protective of their platform and prevent jail breaking et al. in fact, when will someone suggest they should be liable for all lost sales because they failed to secure their platform. we pay a good premium for distributing applications as it is - i do like open platforms, but they should have done a better job at ensuring developers do not get the gutter treatment.

how long before there is a tool that strips advertising out of free-advert supported applications? to make it worse; lets make a website that looks like the developer endorses that the application is free.

i think this is a good reason why piracy is so vibrant on iphone/ipod touch. developers can detect their application is cracked; and should, on detection inform the user they have an illegal copy. you never know how many users are not aware of this.