Goot laptop to buy at a reasonable price?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Real Racing Fan, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    I just need a good computer that can run a PC game like modern warfare 2 or Team Fortress 2 at around 50-60 FPS, and I am not that good at computers, so that's why I'm here. I've looked at the XPS 15 and I think I am getting a decent price for it too on the 2 most cheapest models. What exactly is the difference between the i5 and the i7 processor? How do you tell which graphics card is better?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-l502x/fs

2. Real Racing Fan

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
  3. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
  4. Real Racing Fan

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    :eek:Fingerprint scanner:eek:

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just avoid any with integrated graphics I find it tricky myself to keep up with graphics cards your best bet is just google them and working out which is newer.

For gaming there's not really much difference between i5 and i7 for heavy tasks like video encoding I7 is better but not by that much.

6. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Like Teknikal said, you don't need an i7 if you're going with gaming as you're most tasking programs. You'll be well off with TF2 and MW2 with the i5.

The second option from the left under your link would be the choice for me; the 2GB graphics card should keep you happy. I'd upgrade the screen to 1920x1080; I think that's an option in customization.

7. Real Racing Fan

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that if I were to get the 2nd and 3rd computer from the left to the right, would modern warfare 2 look like crap? Also, I will be doing a lot of *work* on it too...what games would need a better graphics card and more RAM? By the way, where can I buy games besides steam?

8. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Newer games, such as Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, and StarCraft 2 need more RAM and a better graphics card. Or did you mean your programs for work?

Remember to check elsewhere for laptops that might have better cards; just as a point of reference, here's a page on the 540M graphics card's average performance. Toward the bottom of the page are game benchmarks, which will help you see how certain games will perform at certain graphics settings. It gives an average framerate, too. Looks like most recent titles will play at medium-to-high settings at a pretty decent framerate.

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    7 letters: Macbook

10. Real Racing Fan

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    15 letters: Incompatibility