Organizing a New Year's App Blowout

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by AndyKorth, Dec 27, 2008.

1. AndyKorth

AndyKorth Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    #1 AndyKorth, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    Hello everyone,
    I'm Andy Korth, from Howling Moon Software, and I'm organizing a big sale around the New Year. This is a 48 hour sale where many developers have banded together to heavily discount their applications from December 31st to January 1st. I'm looking for more developers to participate in this sale. We've already got a pretty impressive lineup, but the more the merrier.

All I ask for participation is a guarantee that your application will be cheaper for at least 48 hours on Dec 31st to the 1st.

View our current participants here:

http://www.newyearappblowout.com/

If you're a member of the press, your help would be appreciated in spreading the word about the sale- once we get close to the New Year.

If you'd like to participate, please email me at [email protected], or post here. Brownie points if you supply a 128x128 image for me and your app store link, so I don't have to look it up ;)

Thanks,
    Andy

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'll be forced to pick up Blackbeards Assault, and Mouse House:) good idea can't wait to see who else joins in.

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'll finally get Pinch N Pop. I'll wait to see who all else joins in. This is a great idea!

4. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I'll probably get Pinch 'n Pop and blackbeard's assault. Also, Mouse House is already 99 cents, so if anyone wanted to get it now they could for the same price.

5. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Cool :) I have a Pinch 'n Pop! update in review which will hopefully be released around the same time this promo gets underway, but it's entirely up to Apple at this point.

6. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Mouse House is already $0.99

7. GtotheA

GtotheA Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Austin, TX
    wow this is pretty cool ill be sure to buy some a couple of these apps

8. AndyKorth

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    Yeah, a few people got an early start on the sale. It was originally going to be a Christmas sale, but we postponed it due to iTunesConnect being down for several days around Christmas.

9. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Now, if you guys get Gameloft on board than my life would be complete...

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Dude, if Gameloft now lowers BIA to like 2 bucks, after I just bought it yesterday for 10........ Well good job, but I'll still be po'd. Lol

11. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Well, sh** happens you know...

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I hope EA decides to drop Monopoly's price a little. I really want it, but I think I'd rather pay about $6 for it. Same goes for Uno.

Anyway, looks like you've got a good list already. Can't wait for the sales to start. :)

PS I can't believe the dev of Pinch 'n' Pop decided to join in. I remember seeing a comment on his YouTube channel (I think) that said he wouldn't join in on the price drop shenanigans (sp?) after people started asking for a lower price. LOL

Oh well, I've already got the game, but that's ok. :)

13. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    LOL, that was my comment XD.

I just bought Pinch N' Pop (before reading about this :(). Oh well, I think it's worth it.

14. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    To be fair, I said "yo-yo" price shenanigans, but I can't believe it either :eek: Keep in mind that comment on Youtube was posted two weeks after release - it's now been out for two and a half months, which is forever in App Store time.

I hope folks who've already purchased the game don't feel ripped off. Your early support is truly appreciated and made future updates (not to mention future games) possible. But, if it makes you feel any better, I bought BioShock on sale for $15 a little while back thinking it was a steal and today it's on Steam for $5. At least I snagged STALKER for $5 last week - crap like this tends to even out ;)

15. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Yeah those steam deals are insane. It makes me wish i had an awesome gaming pc. Oh well, im better off with a mac anyways, unless........

I COULD GET BOTH!

16. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I just dual boot my iMac - the build-to-order 8800 GS runs most games great (or good enough). I'd suspect the new Macs rumoured to come out in January will prove to be decent gaming rigs, though they'll never be enough for the hard core crowd.

To get back on topic, we could still use some more devs to take part in this promo to increase our chances of getting noticed by some of the bigger websites/blogs that have so far ignored our apps - maybe we need a fart app or something...

17. Deleted

Deleted Active Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Beijing, CHina
    Hoorah!

I've been waiting a while to grab Pinch 'n' Pop, and now's my chance! Thanks a bunch for joining in! (devs)

18. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yea I agree with you Frank. Although I think it's particularly hard to get topics noticed in the lounge because so few people actually come to this section(at least not as many people who visit the games and apps section). Maybe the devs who are here and are participating in this new years blowout should put the site and the topic in their signature, might help alittle more.

I would also really like this blowout to get out not because I want a sale on these games but so games that deserve alot more credit then they receive can get out there more. For example Pinch N' Pop is a truly splendid game, but not many people aside from members of this forum actually pay attention to this brilliant game and they should : D. Well hopefully this blowout will help your games to get out alittle bit more.

19. AndyKorth

Sep 16, 2008
    Game Developer
    #19 AndyKorth, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
    We've had a few more developers join in, and now there's an official web site:

http://www.newyearappblowout.com/

Thanks a lot for all the support everyone. I think you hit the nail on the head, TheOZ. There are definitely a lot of great games out there that people just don't hear about. I hope all of the participating apps get a lot of press come the 31st. I know for the case of ScribBall- everyone who plays it loves it. This really makes me think that we just aren't getting the word out about our app very well. So that's why we're trying new things like this. Your encouragement is great to hear :)

20. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Wow, that looks awesome!! Thx for the info!