GTA Vice City

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lepeos, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    5 isn't out yet. 4 has been out for a while. Neither of them would be possible on current generation mobile devices. The file sizes would be much too big (Apple's limit is 2gb) and the devices just aren't sufficiently powerful enough IMO. I'm no expert, but there's a noticeable difference between iOS games and GTA IV/V.

San Andreas is possible, but the file size is still going to be a problem. On my Mac, it takes up upwards of 5 GB. Compare that to the 1.6 GB for Vice City and 1.3 GB for GTA III. It's also more graphically intensive (embarrassingly enough, my computer struggles a bit with it in some areas, while Vice City and GTA 3 run relatively smoothly).

2. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I really want it now :)

3. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Apps can take up more than 2 gb... Rhapsody takes up 3gb on my iphone. What they would do is make you download all the content within the app and lower all the graphics and change some of the physics to make it work. I suppose it would have to end up looking like vice city/San Andreas but with the same map layouts and missions as IV or V.

4. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    #104 OutSpoken, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Wish it was San Andreas, as I didn't get to play it when it originally released. It was around that time my interest in computer games were waning thus selling off all my consoles...

I may however still pick up Vice City. Despite being really excited when it first came out, I'mean the soundtrack alone was worthy of a purchase:D, I didn't really get my teeth stuck into it much... were far too busy with uni, work and partying:cool:

I still don't know where I'll find the time now, especially with a wife and two young children.

GTA is one of those games that you can easily waste hours playing missions and running people over... well it definitely was when I would play GTA III back then.

5. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    So this means San Andreas is next in 2014. That is going to be ridiculous if they manage that. Jetpacks, planes, just close to the perfect game.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats the great thing about iOS gaming, if i rigged up some latest console to the tv etc the kids/wife would moan that they want to watch their programs. Instead i can have a quick 5 or 10 minutes go at GTA III whenever i want specially if theyre watching their programs !

Bachelor days i would have been playing tons of games but have to play here and there nowadays depending on wife/kid !

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    5 is not out yet, but I mean I want it for iOS too.

8. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    The ipod touch 4 has 256mb but after loading ios it has about 120mb free. Thats why it wouldnt work well.

9. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010
    Impossible on any current gen devices, we are looking at about 5 years before thats possible.

10. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Hell, it took ten years for GTA III. Granted, devices from '09 could run it (just not that well).

11. OutSpoken

OutSpoken Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I suppose you're right, iOS gaming does allow for more time flexibility.:)

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    A year ago I would've agreed, but now with current gen devices being significantly more powerful than the PS Vita, I think some kind of port would be feasible.

Anyone else hate the auto targeting from the GTA3 port? I'm hoping for some kind of targeting system like Gangstar 3 had (only good thing about that game). Or even an option for free targeting with gyro + swipe to aim/look and heavy aim assist. Anything would be better than what's in GTA3.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Must admit i'm fine with that, i think on a small screen it would be quite 'fiddley' so i'm glad they did that. But on the other hand i'm like a kid in a sweetshop, still giddy that i have GTA 3 on this tiny mobile device. A dream ! With GTA IV coming soon it'll be even better

If it didnt have auto aiming there'll be a lot more people moaning how tricky it is to shoot at people.

14. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010
    Oh sure a dumbed down port would probably be possible but it wouldnt be anything like the full pc/console version.

The auto target is a pain in gta 3, i was able to complete it but there was definatly some frustrating bits. Didnt vice city have free aim, been so long since i played it. Cant remember.

15. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    I didn't play GTA on consoles, but I'm pretty sure you could use the D-Pad to change targets. I wouldn't mind auto aim as long as I can tap on enemies to select them. I don't want to shoot the cop that's right in front of me, I want to shoot the guys I'm supposed to kill..

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah GTA IV had free aim but its much easier on a playstation 2 controller rather than a tiny screen say on the iphone.

I can see why they made it auto-aim as like i say people will moan its too fiddley if they didnt. I hope they manage to keep all the radio stations in the game as they were amazing.

17. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    I think auto-aim should completely disappear from shooters, although this isn't exclusively a shooter, most of its missions play as a 3rd person shooter, for that reason I just can't stand auto-aim nor aim-assists, from GTA3, at least on the PC version, there's free aim, for me that's the way it should be.

And iOS is pretty good with free aim controls, just take a look at all the shooters.

But then again, on iOS there's always a noob complaining because of the controls being too hard.

18. TheGrimCreeper

TheGrimCreeper Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Is there an official release date? And what ever happened to the special trailer?

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Auto aim is a lot worse than free aim. And GTA IV coming soon? GTA 4 was released in 2008 and it was not released for PS2... GTA V is the one coming soon. I think you're not quite sure how Roman numbers work :D

But yeah Vice City is kinda IV, but the real GTA IV was released on 2008

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah sorry I keep referring it as IV as GtA III came out the year before so I always think if this one as IV as its the sequel but checking the GTA timeline it's not called IV. Bit confusing! But vice city it is!