Future of iPhone Gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brazilian Rider, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I know this has been talked about a lot, but I feel a new thread is needed due to recent developments.

Those recent developments? Those would be four games that were recently released or will soon be released.

You should have heard about them by now. Eliminate, Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies, Ravensword and Dead Strike.

What do all these games have in common? They're all fully 3D.

Two of them have even perfected 3D graphics WITH online Multiplayer. I'm pretty sure nobody predicted that.

This brings us to think... Are 3D games the way of the future, or just a fad?

Will multiplayer games become the norm, or will users bypass them for some 'alone time'?

Will ANYONE merge CoD:WaW:Zombies and Dead Strike to create iLeft 4 Dead?

Discuss.

2. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #2 Pug4Death, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    The future of iPhone gaming relies on Apple; how they evolve the current models as well as how they market them. The 99c gimmick and the hardware/software are really going to hinder the 'bigger' and experienced devs. But of course, the App Store matures over time, compare what we saw today of this year, to today of last year. None of them are really impressive, but they all contribute to the development of the App Store.

3. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I think this is a great sign for the future of iphone/ipod gaming. It's still unproven whether 'premium' apps/games can survive in a market full of $.99 games and fart apps. With the success COD:WAW:Z and RS have had, at their respective prices, I think it shows that the there is a market out there for 'premium' apps/games. No one is going to further the evolution of gaming on this platform, whether indie or big name, unless they can make money. Having a category for top grossing apps is a good thing. COD and RS selling very well is a good thing. If this keeps up it should only get better and better.

Where's ol' Spungo to tell me I'm wrong and you only make money w/ $.99 apps...? Spungo... oh Spungo...

Oh yeah that's right, he got BANNED.

Sorry for that, I just still get this feeling of satisfaction he may be reading and won't be able to pipe up :D

4. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Anything that pushes the technology will always be considered 'the future'. Obviously Apple foresaw this; look at the hardware and implementation of OpenGLES.

I personally don't have anything against 3D, I've done my share of work in that area. My main problems with 3D is that it is overused and ineffective in its execution. Certainly an FPS requires 3D to some extent, but I think we need to take it beyond what we know on the PC or consoles.

IMHO, MiniGore is among the best uses of mobile 3D that I've seen. Simplistic, but true to its nature, and perfectly designed for the small screen.

5. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

The only premium titles that survive are brand name ones. IE NFS is killing Real Racing in the charts, but RR is a better Game. Call of Duty is well Call of Duty. The Sims 3 is the Sims. Of course those games are gonna sell. Tell me the last $10 game by an indie or small company that has been extremely successful. I really don't like this trend, indies are gonna keep up with .99 pick-up-and play and never reach their full potential. Big devs are gonna keep making half-assed brand name games (there are exceptions) to get some quick bucks due to a lack of competition

6. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    RS was made by indie dev's. I'm not familiar with the dev's of Dead Strike but they don't seem like a "big name" dev. We obviously haven't seen how it will do but it looks very nice.

I definitely agree with what you're saying but I think there is some hope left for the Appstore.

7. GumGuts

GumGuts Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    #7 GumGuts, Nov 19, 2009
    Apple is probably going to do what they did with Music, pwn it. If they can pull it off, they'll be at the top of mobile gaming. No other cell phone comes close, and neither the PSP or DS compares in terms of casual gaming, which has much wider appeal, AND serious games. The only thing Apple needs is more major league developers to develop serious games and more indie developers to make really great addictive, (and usually) cheap games. Oh, and a more powerful unit, which they're obviously doing.

Apples big test will be juggling indie developers and big name ones. I don't think they'll have too much trouble with this - Apple wants to promote good games, not the most advanced or pretty, but the funnest, something two guys in a basement can do just as well, if not better then the big names.

*edit* Oh yeah, 3D is definitely the way of the future. When big name developers get enough incentive to develop games, they're all gonna be 3D. But there still will be room for neat games made by indie devs, that's part of the balancing I was talking about above.

8. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Well, keep in mind some of the things reported on MacRumors and appleinsider, when they saw the latest patents for the iphone back in June.

A few things in the works, namely RFID reader, and Haptic tactile screen feedback, could make for some interesting gaming options.

9. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry to bring back this old problem, but considering how piracy is still growing, devs are slowly fleeing away from the appstore (see article).
    Which is why I'm not that confident at all about the future of quality games on iDevices.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Every platform is plaque with piracy! But I believe that if a game is good enough deserving devs will still be getting their ROE! You see amazing games like COD and Ravensword is now in the top grossing, we know people are buying this good games!

11. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #11 c0re, Nov 19, 2009
    Real Racing is an awesome game, too. But it is still hacked to the bone.
    Same for Tap Fu, same for Ngmoco games, same for ... oh well.

I realize there are still some awesomely conscious people that do honestly buy their products, and much kudos to them.
    But seriously, unless COD and Ravensword have brought some edgebreaking piracy countermeasures, they will get hacked to the bone, too.

And even if the legal revenues do overcome the hacked apps, it's still stealing and a huge money loss (even if 9 pirate over 10 wouldn't have bought the game). I can't find a better reason that this disgusting truth to flee from that platform.

Also, I don't want to turn this interesting thread into another piracy thread, so I won't expand more on subject.
    But actually, piracy has a really big role in Appstore success expansion.

12. mek

mek Well-Known Member

I wouldn't of considered Eliminate or COD the future of iphone gaming, they are just games, sometimes gimmicky, often just brands...so sure it is a step in big titles being pushed to the platform...but the future?

I see the future as maybe Augmented Reality, some haptic response, social whatever beyond a leaderboard or facebook/twitter integration

obviously the future was set a year ago, with Touch interface (it has been around for 40 years, but not this mainstream and the extent of its portability)
    the ease of the digital distribution of itunes (again, not new, just perfectly/stylishly executed that so many want to imitate it)

so when you are talking the future of iphone gaming? are you talking hardware, software, or platform?

13. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Naw, I think that the future of games are 4D... ;) Jk.
    But the app store is getting a lot better! This last year has been amazing for apple. Lucky guys...