Are there any hardcore games for iphone 4?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darkreaver1980, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Darkreaver1980

Sep 12, 2010
    #1 Darkreaver1980, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    Hi there, im just wondering if there are any rpg´s or hack&slay with hardcore modes. I mean something similar to diablo hardcore, where you only have one life and if you die than its game over.

i have both Solomons games and i LOVE em, solomons keep is nice but you can just continoue after you die :(. I want something similar but only one life.

i also love the dual stick concept, are there any good games with dual stick (one for shot direction, other to move), like Solomons.

thx in advance

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    There are some excellent roguelikes for iOS.

Rogue Touch
    100 Rogues
    Cavern
    iNethack
    Slash 'Em

and Sword of Fargoal (although some bristle when this is referred to as a roguelike. Still, you can play with one life/permadeath).

And there are also plenty of great dual-stick shooters like Meteor Blitz and Isotope.

3. Darkreaver1980

Sep 12, 2010
    #3 Darkreaver1980, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    Thanks for the answer.

Which rogue game should i get? i heard sword of fargoal is pretty good. I never played Rogue or any clone so i dont know how it plays. seems like diablo just a bit more streamlined

4. Avigrace

Avigrace Active Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Have a look at the Battle for Wesnoth too, pretty hardcore.

5. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    sounds like you want a "rogue-like" and didnt even know it 100 rogues is a good jumping off point if this is in fact your first.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Definitely not like Diablo. If you're looking for something similar to that check out Dungeon Hunter, Zenonia 2, Rimelands.

7. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
  8. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    They're not too much like Diablo, but rather more tactical in nature.

The first of the roguelikes is Rogue, and likewise the first of the iPhone roguelikes, and also my favorite, is Rogue Touch. It's probably my favorite game for iOS, followed by Battle for Wesnoth which Avigrace mentioned. So I'd recommend starting with Rogue Touch. However, the game is extremely retro, so if you want something more updated then you can start with 100 Rogues, which unlike the others I mentioned has animated characters.

iNethack and Slash 'Em are both free, but I have to warn you, these are the most hardcore of all the hardcore games. You could play each of them for an hour and die 50 times (each time in a different way :D) But anyway, that's what you came here looking for right, the most hardcore of the hardcore games? :D

9. br4nd0n

br4nd0n Active Member

Jul 25, 2009
    chillin'
    CA
    this isn't really a "hardcore" game, or a rouge-like, but The Quest is a great rpg with tons of gameplay. you could play the game without saving, so once you die, its game over.

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Ah, I almost forgot, there is a very similar game to the Solomon's games, Catacombs. It's more fast-paced though, and plays like a Gauntlet type game with dual stick controls.

11. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Haha, you could do that, but you'd lose your mind after playing 35 straight hours and then being killed by something that popped out of the cemetary!

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
  13. Darkreaver1980

Sep 12, 2010
    i just buyed Sword of Fargoal and 100 Rogues. These are exactly the kind of games that i want :D. i played both a bit and it seems like 100 rogues is like 500 times better than fargoal, cos in fargoal you cant even find armor and most items are pretty basic + the visuals are just very simple.

14. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    There are plenty of items in the Fargoal 2.0 update that's coming soon:

[​IMG]

;)

15. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Can you make the Hi-Res graphics compatible with the 2G iPod?

16. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
  17. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Cool! Looking forward to it. Was there a reason why you didn't support it before? It just seems like redone sprites instead of something like dynamic lightning and antialiasing. :)

18. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    what's the ETA on 2.0? I'm looking forward to it as I kind of dropped the game due to the lack of items and it basically felt like I was playing the same game over and over

19. Madgarden

Mar 10, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    Not enough memory on the older devices for the 2x HD graphics. Redone sprites need memory, dynamic lighting doesn't really. There's no other reason that we wouldn't support it.

Shooting for end of September or early October, if all goes well. It's got over 30 new and different weapons now, a dozen or so kinds of armour and helmets, 20 or so different shields... and I've got room for plenty more. :)

20. Darkreaver1980

Sep 12, 2010
    #20 Darkreaver1980, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    Well, chances are that i end up playing fargoal more than 100 rogues with the new update 2.0. Weapons, armors, more stuff to find, that is exactly what i wished for it :D Now throw in some skilltree + some different classes (like a rogue, expert in sneaking, weak in combat etc) and i could buy it even twice :p

And please, implent some rest function, i hate walking 200+ tiles in a circle to heal myself up ;)

How about findable tent like item? you use it and than you see your tent and your health will regenerate very quickly (if no monsters are around you) after having full health the tent will disapear.