Battle Buddies (line drawing tactical combat game by Supercell)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Dec 16, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Battle+Buddies/news.asp?c=36141

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Looks awesome! Thx for the thread, arta. :)

3. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    this looks fantastic! Nice work, anxious to see more.

4. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
  5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #5 undeadcow, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
    Yes! Freemium, blah... How can I change my setting to ignore this thread?

Edit: Thanks to arta for posting; it's not your fault this is freemium.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Looks awesome :) Thanks Arta.

7. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    Good morning, I'm the product lead of Battle Buddies here at Supercell and wanted to say hi. Hi!

Just a few words on the game that weren't covered in the original post: the game has been inspired by such classics as Laser Squad or X-Com: UFO Defense, but everything has been designed from the ground up for the touch devices (iPhone, iPad, and later also Android phones and tablets). There's single player and there's multiplayer content, you can battle against your friends or anyone, but also take part in "friendlier" social gaming, meaning for example, hiring a team leader from your friend's squad.

I don't want to spam, but if you want to follow the development, you can do it at www.facebook.com/battlebuddiesgame - I plan to hang around here too, but as we're a small team (me and 5 other guys/gals), I'm afraid of running out time if I try to post in too many places at the same time, that's why we're in Facebook. :)

If you have questions, I'm happy to answer.

-Jouni

PS. No need to be suspicious of the fact that it's "free to play" - we're developing it with a guideline that the game is fun as is - is you want to spend a dollar on two to speed up your progress, that's your decision, we won't make you. Also, the multiplayer will be balanced so that it's not "pay to win", i.e. we love the gamers who don't pay a cent as much as everyone else.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I understand why you chose freemium - the future, but I still hope things change in the following year and freemium will gradually turn into premium...

9. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    Looks promising! I don't really mind if it's freemium, as long as it's, as you stated, no must to pay to continue enjoying the game:)

10. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
  11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Damn that looks beautiful :eek:

12. TheShoresOfHell

TheShoresOfHell Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Hmmmm, the movement, the camera, the controls... all looks really gooood!!, I´m definetly looking forward to this.

13. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    #13 SCJone, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    A small update on our progress: we've been super hard at work, and have functional Game Center multiplayer, AI to play against, new weapons and items, cool particle effects for explosions, walls coming down - the programmers are on fire. Need to buy them asbestos suits. Also, a lot of levels, sound effects, music done. Hopefully we'll reach release level in a few months, so the crunchy last stretch starts... now.

We managed finally to upload our development videos to YouTube, you can find them all here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB741D730D393E89A&feature=plcp

And as always, I update a development "blog" on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/battlebuddiesgame

14. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Awesome news! That's great to hear. and thanks for the link to the dev videos:D

15. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #16 Marcus70, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    For the single player portion, how long is the campaign?

16. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Looks absolutely smexy, is there gonna be a beta to find all the bugs and glitches and stuff?

17. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    Thank you Arta, for posting the videos!

We intend to update the game regularly with new updates both to the single player and the multiplayer portions, meaning more content to the campaign and more weapons, items, game modes, etc. We start out with about 20 missions for the SP campaign.

Yep, we will have a beta phase for the game to get the bugs out. We haven't yet decided on how extensive the public beta will be, so if your next questions is about joining the beta task force, I cannot yet reply. ;)

18. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    Here's a current dev shot in case you want to take a closer look at how the game looks on an iPad 2. iPad 1 is otherwise the same, but no anti-aliasing. You can click on the pic to enlargen. (Edit: it seems that the attachment system compresses the pic, so the game actually looks better than that. ;)

bb-dev-shot-2012-03-02-01.jpg

New visual stuff we have here is a shadow & lightmaps that provide better looking shadows for the objects, and some subtle coloring from the light maps.

19. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #20 Marcus70, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    To what extent are objects and walls destructible? :)