Tentacle Wars: $0.99 (iPhone), $1.99 (iPad) -> FREE (Universal)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by lumarama, Mar 15, 2016.

1. lumarama

lumarama Well-Known Member

#1 lumarama, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Finally! Our award-winning game gets Universal update and it becomes FREE. That means from now cross iPhone-iPad multilayer matches are possible.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1065786902?mt=8

If you haven't tried it yet - go get it!

UPDATE: Tentacle Wars isn't one of these F2P games that forces you to buy stuff in order to make progress. The game balance is exactly the same as it was before it became free. You can pass it without spending any $ at all. Even more, to get the best scores (i.e. 3 stars in each level) you have to pass it without using any paid power-ups (vaccines). So the game doesn't encourage or force you to pay.

Attached Files:

2. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Another example of paid going f2p... No thanks

3. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    ^^Another pointless comment about paid going F2P. No one cares that you aren't going to get this game. No one.

4. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I'm sure you would feel otherwise if you had purchased this game premium before it went free but whatever... Unfortunately it has been happening a lot lately it doesn't say a lot for developer integrity and actually it's not a pointless comment many others feel the same but I will keep further comments for the appropriate thread.

5. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Trying not to turn this into another F2P debate thread. But..

Yes, I have spent loads of money on premium games that went F2P. It's part of mobile gaming. It's a "risk" that comes with spending $2.

You say it doesn't say a lot about the devs integrity? You know the devs could easily just abandon the game (like SO MANY premium games do). But no, the devs are having this go F2P and that will hopefully allow further updates to the game.

And before this becomes "I'd rather they just develop a new premium game" If this is how you feel, go start up a studio and get to it. But stirring up this nonsense over and over is incredibly tiresome.

6. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Thanks for saving my time. Skipped.

7. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    #7 HotHamBoy, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Woah woah woah. Look, we know why devs change models - the game isn't making money. But that doesn't excuse charging for a game then changing the model in a way that screws people who supported your game in the first play. F2P is so prevalent because people don't want to pay for anything, right? Well when you break the trust of the people who are willing to support developers with their money you just make things worse. Now those people think twice about spending their money, too.

And I don't think it's right to say it's a risk of mobile gaming. This isn't a fact that is presented to new users. No one tells you this before you buy a mobile device and games. You find out the hard way, when your game stops working or changes models on you. No one has had to deal with that before on previous game platforms, at least not on consoles and handhelds.

Right now Game Center has been broken on ios 9 since September. I have games I simply can't play because they can't log in. It has been 6 months and Apple hasn't fixed or even really addressed the problem. But they still sell Game Center-dependent games. Is that an acceptable risk for the consumer, too?

If Apple or developers put a big "buyer beware" sign on the app store, maybe then it would be okay. But they don't because people wouldn't take the risk. That's disingenuous.

8. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    #8 Bucktroo, Mar 15, 2016
    Please read Apple ToS.

Some key points from that link:

- Prices for products offered via the Services may change at any time, and the Services do not provide price protection or refunds in the event of a price reduction or promotional offering.

- Apple reserves the right at any time to modify this Agreement and to impose new or additional terms or conditions on your use of the iTunes Service.

- Apple reserves the right at any time to modify this Agreement and to impose new or additional terms or conditions on your use of the App and Book Services.

- The App and Book Services are not part of any other product or offering, and no purchase or obtaining of any other product shall be construed to represent or guarantee you access to the App and Book Services.

Like I've stated in the past, so much of this is simply on the consumer to educate themselves. I'm not arguing whether you think it's right or wrong, we all have opinions. The purpose of my comments are to shed light, on us as consumers, not necessarily having the "right" to how app pricing is set :)

9. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Good old and yes, pointless, you do it better, card played. Also, I think Repulsa's post was nowhere near as pointless as countless "downloading" comments on countless threads.

10. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Not sure if the "downloading" part was directed at me (as I have a total of 2 posts where I can see I typed "downloading" in the 5 years I've been on TA lol).

As to others that say "downloading", those typically generate discussion/impressions on the game. Where as "F2P...no thanks" does what? I've never seen a "downloading" turn into anything aside from impressions (good or bad) but it's at least discussion relevant to that game. It's clear, lots of people hate F2P. That's fine and I totally get where they come from, but hopping onto a thread simply because it's F2P or has gone F2P and saying "F2P bad, no thanks, boo F2P, etc....that's why I said pointless.

From the initial post, it's made VERY clear that it's "gone F2P" It was not eluding that it was currently on sale or free today only, etc. So why get on the thread, say no thanks, then leave? I guess you could argue that saying "no thanks" is the same as "downloading". If that's the case, I'll give you that.

11. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I was going to write about this "B2P to F2P stuff" then I saw how cabuckn replied (or should I say "attacked") to Repulsa's simple complain. Now I'm checking my ignore list. Good night everbody.

12. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    By no means did I attack Repulsa? I stated no one cared that he wasn't going to get this free game. Surely you don't take that as an attack.

There are many threads about F2P stinking. Vent there. Complain there (but that's just my opinion, do what you please). I think even Repulsa acknowledged that when he stated he would keep those comments to threads like that. I "attacked" him by arguing that calling out a developers integrity was a bold move when it's business.

I've been on threads with Repulsa in the past and we like several of the same games and have had interactions before. If he feels I attacked him, I assure you that's not at all what my intentions were. Can't take comments on a gaming site's forums personally man :)

13. lumarama

lumarama Well-Known Member

#13 lumarama, Mar 15, 2016
    The developer of the game is here.

To be honest, I share common concerns about F2P shift in the mobile gaming. While I must point out that Tentacle Wars isn't one of these F2P games that forces you to buy stuff in order to make progress in the game. The game balance is exactly the same as before. You can pass it without spending any $ at all. Even more, to get best scores (i.e. 3 stars in each level) you have to pass it without using any paid power-ups (vaccines). So the game doesn't encourage you to buy paid stuff.

Going free enables more people to download and play the game. Which is good. Isn't it? Also it is a good thing for the multiplayer part. Tentacle Wars multiplayer was not very crowded when the game was paid. Hopefully this can change.

14. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Is anybody else embarrassed by this thread now? Sorry your sale thread got torched lumarama. Hopefully you've posted this info in the game thread, otherwise stuffs going to hit the fan over there too.

15. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Not at all embarrassed. I was defending the developers decision and integrity the entire time.

16. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here, but this thread is a public argument in the middle of someones ad space. I'm a little embarrassed.

17. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Yeah I see your point. Kind of sad I even said anything now.