Anyone else avoid "holiday" updates?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Adams Immersive, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Just curious. I'm not anti-holidays, but for some reason I find myself avoiding holiday updates. Ones with a special holiday skin or--worse yet--a holiday icon. I don't like seeing my home screens suddenly decorated with cheesy Santa hats!

(Part of it is, I just know that another update is coming along later to remove the Santa icon, so unless it's an update I'm dying to have, I just skip to the next one.)

It's very common practice--so my Updates list gets long in November–February! Some apps still haven't removed their holiday icons.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    In the same. Hate it when one of my favourite games has a xmas makeover !

3. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Life is too short to not have automatic updates turned on.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I avoid ALL updates until I thoroughly know exactly what is being updated. So often that switch to freemium is updated with a terse "bug fixes" in the explanation column. Or introduction of ads, or new game mechanics that turn out to be terrible. I am one of the "if ir ain't broken, I see no need to fix it" sorts. And my diligence has been rewarded with many dozens of games that people no longer want to play - I still have the version that is fun.

I don't really look at whether it is a holiday theme or not, just what the update involves...

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Never have it on. Always liked seeing what updates there are (I install them 99% of the time as long as they're not xmas ones like put a hat on the character) and seeing what the updates bring

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I don't have automatic turned on either, I enjoy going through my list and seeing what's there, I have three games needing an update to switch to free with ads, having automatic on would take that choice away.

I'm with you on the holiday stuff though, some of my icons still have Santa hats, but if it's new content I'll usually update, just skins probably would still if it's something I play a lot.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I don't worry too much about getting my games redone over with holiday hoopla as I hardly ever update. I don't gamble on screwing up an already perfect game and if I do update I read the description and then listen to feedback before I chose do so.
    Having the updates automated would make many of my games turn freemium or unplayable. It would be wise to see actually what is being offered specifically for a game than to blindly update everything. Back in the old days it was simply an act of trust to update a game but now its way too risky.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I like holiday icon changes... BUT I WANT THEM REVERTED BACK TO ORIGINAL WHEN THE OCCASION ENDS.

9. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Ha--I don't do automatic updates either. Not just because of Santa hats staying through summer, though. MOST apps I wouldn't mind auto-updating, but some critical ones--and games I'm currently playing--I'm more cautious about. I lost a ton of progress in 7 Cities TD years ago, and the emotional scars remain :p

Plus as some have noted, you occasionally gets ads or a paywall added to a game you already paid for once.

So I just turn off the red number badge and let some apps sit... forever.

More importantly: I like to see the What's New info. I might never go back to a game if I never realize what a fun addition they made.

(Shame on Facebook for their policy of "Want to know what's new? Install the app and THEN we'll tell you!" Luckily I rarely touch Facebook.)

10. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

This. :D