Universal Help Test BlastBall MAX - Top Scores win iTunes Gift Cards!!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sven - Monkube, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Sven - Monkube

Sven - Monkube Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    #1 Sven - Monkube, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Quotes from Touch Arcade forum folks already playing:
    "I haven't played a fun match game like this in a long time."
    "im currently addicted to it"
    "The game is really fun and different/something new for me."

Hey guys,
    At Monkube, we've been working on a puzzle game with a new mechanic, called BlastBall MAX, for the last 3 years. We finally polished it to the point where it's the pure essence of what we want it to be: a premium game with a fantastic new puzzle mechanic, leaving out ALL the cheap random factor / F2P pay to win / timer / meta-game overkill crap.

Before heading to the press, and to Apple, we want to do one big test among gamers. And the TA forum seems like the place to find those. But! ... we want to supercharge that final test :)

So our offer is this:
    The 3 players with the highest scores on wednesday the 18th at noon, get a $50 (winner) and $25 (spot 2 and 3) Apple gift card.

All you need to do is PM me your email, or mail to [email protected], and you'll get a link moments later. BlastBall MAX is universal and work on pretty much any device. We're using the new Apple Testflight, so there's no account and log-in stuff required.
    FYI: BlastBall has no timer, no constant random factor and every game only has 25 turns. But the strategic depth is... well, you'll see.

This explains the core of the gameplay mechanic.

And this is our short, 30 second ad which will be seen in the App Store.

2. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Oh, and if any of you have questions, or just want to give your opinion, feel free to.

3. mafiiee

mafiiee Active Member

Oct 29, 2010
    California
    thanks for accepting me :)

4. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    No problem man.
    How are you liking the game so far?

5. mafiiee

mafiiee Active Member

Oct 29, 2010
    California
    im currently addicted to it xD i cant beat my score yet lol

6. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    One question how do you want us to submit our scores?

So far I'm really enjoying it you weren't kidding there is a lot of depth and strategy to this game. I haven't played a fun match game like this in a long time. I just couldn't stop playing! Like how it has the Threes! Sliding tile mechanic it's really intuitive and works great with this kind of game. The power ups are neat too but it's a shame you have to wait several days to use them wish there was an alternative way to get them. Would love to see some more modes added in the future maybe add a third color ball for a hard mode. Like the overall design and style too and the tutorial was well explained. Really enjoying it thanks for letting me try it out early!

7. mafiiee

mafiiee Active Member

Oct 29, 2010
    California
    So here's my review:

The game is really fun and different/something new for me. Makes you think of ways to match the colors and line up as many balls as you can. I like how we can move/rotate the tiles and change the color of the ball :D my least fave (not that its bad) would be the bombs but of course that will make it more challenging xD i was just wondering if there will be more ball colors in the future? Or maybe you could change the ball colors in the settings? That would be neat! XD and i agree about the powerups i hope theres other ways to get it ;) thanks for letting me test the game ^^ My highest score so far is 3,238 and still planning to beat my score haha :)

8. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    #8 Sven - Monkube, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    First things first. Thanks for the kind words.
    There's a reason for the power-ups to be released at one a day. Throwing them at you faster, wouldn't give you room to find good uses for each of them. And that leads to players trying a bunch of them together, but having too many parameters they don't 100% understand, to really come up with the best strategies.
    Before I go into the 3rd ball color... What is your highest score? As I'm pretty sure you've conquered it's gameplay.

Oh, and submitting scores. I'm thinking either taking a screenshot of your score screen, or hooking up to FB (in which case your score gets added to our back-end).

9. mafiiee

mafiiee Active Member

Oct 29, 2010
    California
    finally beat my score to 5k xD

Attached Files:

10. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Well, if you play 3 days in a row, you'll get the '2x bomb defuse'. so that should loosen the grip bombs have on your strategies a bit more. There's a reason why you don't get the bomb defuse earlier too: You need to overcome your fear of bombs, so you don't use the bomb defuse on the first bombs that cross your path.
    And by looking at your score.... well, I totally get why you're imagining how more ball colours would be cool.. But you've only scratched the surface of what you can do with the gameplay options you've got at your disposal now. That's why the Missions are there. They should bump you in the right direction, so you can discover new strategies along the way.

I'm not gonna tell you what the Max score without using power-ups is... But let's just say that is't more than 3.238 :D

11. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    That makes a lot of sense thanks for your reply. Lol Im no where near being good at this game yet, I think I have a lot to figure outl I just suggested the other color but to be honest I think it would be a little too hard.

Attached Files:

12. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    What we noticed during development of BlastBall, is that 'gameplay', as a whole, is kinda in dire straights. People know all of the most common gameplay concepts out there by heart, so they kinda forgot how good it feels when you gradually master a new one. Even more, they shun away from anything that looks like it's going to take a while to master.

And that's something we hope to bring back with BlastBall MAX. As there is no bigger reward than to have an obstacle (in your case, that would be the get 6.500 or more score :) ), to look for a solution, to find that solution, and to overcome your obstacle. Especially when the solution is logical and not influenced by random factors, or F2P stuff... BlastBall's just that. The solution is right in front of you. There's no timer or anything, just your brain that needs to put the pieces together.

The more you play BlastBall, the smarter you'll get at it. You'll see...

13. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Yeah I've been gradually increasing my score it definitley becomes clearer as you keep playing. I'm up to 6,078 now. I like that it is strategic and doesn't rely on randomness or timers like you said. I can take my time and plan out moves ahead of time. It's really great!

14. snowblzr

snowblzr Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Woo! Got 12,331 points. I'd love to post a picture but TA crashes every time I try to add a photo.

15. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Still working on getting better scores!

Attached Files:

16. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    12.000 and 22.000... You guys are getting the hang of it. But the end is still a LOOOOOONG way off.

I'd like to get some more TA forum people on board. Any tips on pulling that off?
    (Also what would you give this as App Store score?)

17. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Definitely five stars I haven't been this addicted to a match or puzzle game in a while and it's making me think a lot which I like. Non of that casual game garbage where it's all random and luck based for the most part.

18. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    "I haven't been this addicted to a match or puzzle game in a while"
    That's kinda what we're going for. And by the way, the fun thing is, the biggest surprise has yet to be uncovered. That's all I'm saying.

19. mafiiee

mafiiee Active Member

Oct 29, 2010
    California
    omg 22k score :3 and i thought i was doing well xD having no timer really helps us think what strategy we want to do next :)

20. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Hey Mafiiee. We can keep track of your progress as well. You're higher than average. People with higher scores probably just played more matched.

Also, in your opinion, are the groups of 3 missions helping you think of new strategies? (that's what they are designed to do, but it's up to the players to tell us if we're succeeding.)

Also, to everyone:
    Were gonna have the competition open one week longer (so till Wednesday the 18th). So more of you can join.
    If you're in any way interested in puzzle games. But one that actually offers a NEW puzzle mechanic and does none of that Free 2 Play stuff, feel free to send an email to [email protected], or PM me your email adres. You'll have a link to download and play the game in no time (no registration or anything required).
    Who knows, if you come out on top, you could win some iTunes credit.