Song Summoner by square enix

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by skyye06, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    it's about time, SUPER BIG FAN of final fantasy series TBS from Square Enix. this one a must-instant-buy for me... yeah~ I'm so exciting :D

2. aklau

aklau Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    game developer, multi media designer
    Hong Kong
    japanese version ??? will that be any english version??? no one understand what is the game if in japanese

3. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    i had this game on my classic... but seeing as Apple took all the normal iPod games off the store and my classic crashed to i needed to send it in, i can't play this anymore... UGH. Nor can i play any of the other games i bought for my classic.

4. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I think this is the best iPhone related news I've heard all year

5. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    This game looks pretty good. I was obsessed with Final Fantasy Tactics back when it came out - this definitely bears more than a little resemblance. Remember it being a pretty rare game after launch.

Still, I don't understand why Square just doesn't rerelease Final Fantasy VI or VII. These are two of the most loved games of all time. With a simple port or some minor upgrades, they would sell millions.

6. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    FF7 was 1.5 gigs though...

7. sushibox

sushibox Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    #8 sushibox, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    I'm sure the resources would be intense, especially for 7 which I suspect the iPhone couldn't really run well without either an enormous file size or game instability. I'm not doubting that it's remotely possible, but the money they would have to spend to re-skin the UI and have the game run smoothly on the iDevice I would guess they'd use those resources porting their older games (i.e. 1-6).

I do agree, VI is to this day my favorite FF games in many ways, and that doesn't seem like it would be a terrible trouble to port at all. The UI would have to be reworked a bit for the iDevice screen but the game should run smoothly and the resources shouldn't take up too much space.

I for one would definitely pay handsomely to have a localized port of the FF series (1-6) on the iDevice and I suspect I'm not the only one. I can only imagine the money Square could be making off their old IPs. Between releases on the PSP, the Wii Virtual Console, and the App Store Square could be making top coin in today's market on IPs that are more than a decade old. I know for one I gave up looking for FF6 on my Wii's VC a long long time ago.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    1.3 GB ;)

So many people have been arguing over whether or not the iPhone is less or more powerful than the PSP, well... FFVII runs perfectly on the PSP, so according to them it should be fine on the iDevice provided the controls were sorted out.

9. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    #10 Nausicaa, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    I don't think it's too graphically intensive for the iPhone (not that I'm an expert in this field). All the backgrounds are prerendered (although I suppose many were large and had animations, iPhone memory may not be fast enough), and the character models are pretty basic. The battles were the only fully 3D aspect of the game, and I don't think those scenes are more complex than a lot of the 3D work on the iPhone already. File size might be an issue, but maybe they could compress it somehow. In any case, I have a 32 GB iPhone, so I wouldn't mind a 1.3 GB file ;). Plenty of movies approach that file size. Myst was 700 MB.

And FFVII is out for the PSP? I thought they only released some spin-off games. I assume you mean people are booting ISOs with emulators?

10. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    i really loved this game on my ipod clickwheel, so i can't wait to have this on my iphone.

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Bout time. This is an insta buy for me.

12. kazcat42

kazcat42 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    The playstation ran at 33MHz... I think the iphone can handle it :)

13. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    YAY!!! Finally! Square is letting me UP and not down. They're going to be my favorite company again!

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Nope, it's out. You can download it from the PSOne Classics section of the PSN Store and play it on both PS3 and PSP.

15. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    +1 exactly, throw out those bullshit games they made for iPhone, finally they do some real work :D that's kool

16. mr-ipod touch

mr-ipod touch Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Whoa this game looks awesome , i love the old snes classics :D

can't wait to buy this one!!

17. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    This one looks cool, but I don't quite get the song function, does it alter your character's skill depending on what genre of music you pick?

18. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    don't get it neither, but look like fun tho.

19. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I'm surprised there's not more excitement for this game... This appears to be the deep Square experience we've been waiting for..

Or has their previous offerings already turned off a lot of users?

Here's a decent trailer for the original iPod version of the game: