Dissect my game!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RevolvingDoor, Aug 4, 2012.

1. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I released a game called "Towers" a while ago, an interesting little twist on bullet hell games. After a few months of trying to drive sales, we've decided to put a free version out there and see if we can make a little pocket change by displaying ads on the pause screen, and offering some completely optional IAP. It's more of an experiment than anything else at this stage...

What I'm curious about is how other game developers feel about this game's design. The response during testing was very positive, and the paid version had a few really dedicated players who tried to complete every stage on the "hardcore" setting.

If you have a few minutes to spare today, I would love your feedback! Is the design of the game compelling? How do you find the difficulty of the game to be? Is there anything I should have done differently?

You can download the free game (full version, of course) right here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id529741792?mt=8

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to give some feedback!

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i'm curious how the switch to free + IAP went :) how did it impact sales/revenues? it seems these days - after 3 years i've been on the app store, a new title gets lost so quickly, regardless if it is free or paid.

3. RevolvingDoor

Dec 13, 2009
    It's honestly a bit too soon to tell how this affected revenue, but I'll be happy to share that data a few weeks from now. I'm still doing what I can to try to boost downloads. It will definitely be interesting to see if this works in our favor, as Towers is arguably a bit of a niche title.

4. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    It's not free to play, it costs £0.69, in the UK app store at least. Is it supposed to be like that?

5. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    I checked now and the game is free on UK appstore

@RevolvingDoor
    I would strongly recommend changing the name of the app from "Towers Free" to something more unique and interesting

Naming an app properly is just as important as showing good screenshot previews
    ;)

6. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Hmm... Just checked again, still not free, I reloaded the app store as well. Maybe tomorrow then.

7. RevolvingDoor

Dec 13, 2009
    Try typing "Lightworx Towers Free" in the search box, that should bring it up.

8. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Found it, but if I just type towers in the search field in iTunes, then only the paid version shows up. (on my iPad)

9. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Love the color palette for the projectiles. They stand out nice and clear from the background.

The game mechanics are easy to pick up.

What's going on (taking damage, powers refreshing) is all communicated clearly to the player. Nice work!

It's not my type of game so take this with a pinch of salt but I don't find it very "more-ish". I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer in the first few minutes of playing. Perhaps introducing new elements at a slower pace or having a mission structure like "Jetpack Joyride" and "Ski Safari" would help.

I find the main character lacking in charisma. He's a bit Mister Every-man.

The art on the HuD elements is not up to the standard set by the rest of the game. I find the control arrows, buttons, pause button and health bars pixellated and needing work. The health / mana bar could be bigger on screen.

But nice work overall. I hope you find this feedback helpful.