Opinions on our upcoming game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Carlos, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Hi,

after 3 month of development I'm a bit tired of my own game, and cannot decide whether it really looks nice or not.
    Therefore I would really appreciate some subjective opinions.

First what do you think about the game's main menu?
    [​IMG]

Here is an early ingame video to see it in action:

Remark: the game is actually quicker, the video might be a bit misleading.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Carlos

2. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    It looks really fun, and graphics are good, similar to LibraBalance. I think the best way to tell if it's done would be a chance to allow others to play it.. I imagine the speed an the accelorometer calibration would be the key factors here.

3. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    #3 Carlos, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks.
    One of my colleagues told me that the menu was not the best choice. However I think it fits the game's style (but i cannot be objective enough). Besides, making new graphics would take some time (and money), which I try to avoid this - unless I receive many opinions saying the menu is ugly. :)
    Are you eventually interested in beta testing? Actually I plan to submit the game this weekend, so the timeframe will be a bit tight.

4. baldong

baldong Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    it is very .... strange, looks slow, but I like it.

5. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    #5 Carlos, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    Well, the video is about two times slower than the game in real life.
    It was recorded from the iPhone Simulator, while the accelerometer events were sent from my iPod Touch (using iSimulate). It runs slower with this setup (at least in this special case).

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'm not into these types of games but it looks fine. I would agree with your colleague, the menu needs a little clarification. I'd say polish it up and put it on sale, see how it does.

7. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    In reguard to the menu, it looks very good IMO, the only downside is it's all icon and no text which may confuse some players. Perhaps I overlooked it because Ithink I can make a pretty good guess which each button does. Although even if I didn't, I can't imagine it taking long to learn. But I do love the design.

In terms of beta testing, I would love too but have never done it before. If it can get to my phone without using a computer I would love too, but if it requiers going through a computer to put it on my iPhone ibwill unfortunately be unable to test. Either way I will likely buy this game. Look like I'd enjoy it and my kids really love accelerometer controled games.

8. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Looks good. Same goes for the menu-screen, it looks good, but I hate it. ;) Meaning: The iconography might make sense to most people but I still believe it's bound to confuse some people and adding an unecessary layer of complexity. Also, apart from the play-button, what is the idea behind the different sizes of the elements?

Apart from this I have no problem with the look/ overall design, but really think you should add some text to further clarify the functionality of the different buttons.

But then again, I excell at being wrong about these kind of things. :rolleyes:

9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    I was also thinking currently about adding some texts to the buttons. Originally the idea was to make the game language independent.
    Thanks for the feedback!

10. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    Below is the new menu - do you think it's better now? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

11. I would make the buttons less see through, and try to make the edges look rounder, so they look like something you can press.

The background is quite busy, and I can't really tell what is going on there.

Is there a background you can use that is easier to parse visually?

12. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    There isn't anything wrong with the original menu. Your second menu isn't a very good solution, it is far too busy.

The iconography in the original is fairly easy to understand, and you may get more international sales by sticking to the original design.

13. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    #13 Carlos, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    Thanks shen! How about this one:
    [​IMG]

@Flickitty: To be honest, I don't like the original menu either. I decided to replace it after my colleague also told me it doesn't really fit the game.

14. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    My honest opinion is, stay with the original buttons and background (they go well together, while the other buttons don't seem to fit in) and just add a little bit of text below each icon instead of creating totally new buttons. You are on the right track as far as the menu goes :) The gameplay itself looks awesome, I can't wait to get my hands on this one!

15. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #15 Flickitty, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    I'm not sure why the original menu doesn't fit the game. From an aesthetic viewpoint, the original menu looks very natural, seamless and a well thought component.

These latest implementations look like something shoehorned and forced into the game at the last minute.

It's your game though, and nobody buys a game based on screenshots of a menu.

Also, get rid of the 'sample'. It is annoying, distracting and unnecessary. Nobody is going to steal your screenshot, and if a reviewer accidently posts the wrong menu, simply request an updated image to be posted instead.

16. blackmouth

blackmouth Member

Mar 17, 2010
    consultant
    New York, NY
    I think your menu could just be those colored balls which look almost like polished marble, or it could be more like the pottery texture you have now. This would complement the style of the entire game.

I think flickitty is right, the two menu choices are starkly different. My recommendation to you is to stick to an over "style" of the game and follow through. Don't go flashy just cause others are doing it at the moment.

For example, the second iteration graphics with the symbols that look like they came from a microsoft program, I can see those etched into clay. Just use etch filters in photoshop (or similar software). Search something like "etched clay effect", but then of course it gets complicated.

You've had very good advice so far... :) I like these boards.

Good luck.

17. Remmykins

Remmykins Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    I would use the orignal and add a little text like Flickitty said. Also make the more icon (...) into a plus (+) sign instead like the later one.

18. enuhski

enuhski Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I'm going with Flickitty on the original menu. The second menu looks like it has nothing to do with the actual game while the first one sets the mood quite nicely. I think if you tweak the texture of the original menu buttons a bit, it would look a lot better.

The game looks great, btw. Good luck! :)

19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    xor eax, eax
    It seems that Flickitty and all who agreed with him are right. My wife actually told me the same. :)
    So I will try to improve the original buttons, as I still don't like them. The menu alternatives I've made so far will be great for a WinMo game. :D

Thank you all! I will post the new menu versions also soon.

20. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Why not keep the design of the buttons. Just resize them (so they're all the same size, put them in a more rigidly ordered fashion an add a text to the right of each button?)

You know something like this... (Each asterisk being one of your marble balls).

HTML:
    * Play            * Sound
    * Highscores      * Credits
    * Help            * More

Good thing your wife appreciate your balls by the way! :D (Sorry, couldn't resist).