Any way to back up game saves only?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zergslayer69, Sep 11, 2015.

1. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #1 zergslayer69, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    So long story short I want to do a full factory reset on my ipad. However I don't want to just restore my backup because there's some weird issues like my photo app taking up 400 megs even though I went ahead and deleted every single picture from there (also cleaned the "recycle bin" if you will). Just want to start from a clean slate, but I have a ton of games already. Anybody have solutions?

(didn't see some tech support forum, so this one is probably the closest bet)

Edit: Oh and can't leave out safari bookmarks. That's important also.

2. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    #2 chaos_envoys, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    There was a method to backup savedata manually using ifunbox or iexploler, just by backing up the documents and library folder from your game.. But that method is now obsolete as of ios 8.3.. So if the game itself don't have a cloud backup, then there are no way of backing them up manually if you aren't jailbroken

Edit: safari bookmarks have a cloud backup, so you can use that..

3. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    So basically I have to live with the random 400 megs taking up my photo app along with whatever quirks there are if I want to keep my game progress. Well I guess we can't have it all. Thanks!

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I found this by Googling.
    I'm off out so don't have time to read through it all, but from a quick skim it looks like it has some useful info there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/3bekut/question_ios_83_no_longer_supports_moving_gameapp/

5. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    After digging around some more, I'm thinking the mystery 500mb that's in my photo app could be the cache as I've manually gone into he dcim folder and removed everything and it's still taking up a bunch of space in the usage thing under general. Trying to figure out how to clean out the photo cache but all the links on google say to delete the app, which obviously you can't delete a stock app.

6. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Sometimes you can get rid of stuff like that by doing a restore to factory settings and then restoring from a backup.

7. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I had the same problem and used the Battery Doctor app. The first time I ran it I got back over 1.2 GB of space.

8. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    I don't understand why not EVERY game makes use of iCloud these days.It's absolutely mandatory since iOS 8.3 and the fact you can only make backups from your whole device.Which i can't cause the backup my 128GB ipad takes more space than i currently have on my Macbooks HD...

9. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    All the more reason why I'm hoping for a 256gb ipad/ipad pro next gen!

I'm looking in the appstore and I'm not seeing an app called Battery Doctor. I see one called mobile doctor for ios 8. Is that it?

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    This has been a major gripe of mine forever...

Best option right now is Backup Explorer which can extract/inject data into an app in your backup data.

1) Sync/backup device
    2) Extract data
    3) Delete app, keep appropriate IPA file/version!

later...

1) Install same app version on device
    2) Sync/backup
    3) Inject app data into backup
    4) Restore backup

UGH. :mad:

Even if you jailbreak, putting app data back on doesn't always work.

Developers who open their save directories to iTunes, YOU DA REAL MVPs! :D

11. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I'm not seeing either of those. Well, with iexplorer, there seems to be several apps (and then some on other platforms) that go by that name. Can you provide links to them? I'm still on ios7, and I'm thinking it'd be about time I backup some of my game data.

12. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I never got this plan. It almost sounds like "i don't have a money problem, I just need more money". Here, I understand some of us have minimum requirements for space, but otherwise, we seem to be reaching a point where we need to learn how to just clear up more space, rather than getting more space, and reaching a never ending vicious cycle of filling devices up without remedying the underlying problem