Aerox (3D Platformer) by Synoptical Studios has been submitted

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Synoptical, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synoptical

Synoptical Well-Known Member

#1 Synoptical, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    Hey,

I'm from Synoptical Studios and I'd like to introduce you guys to our upcoming iPhone game called 'Aerox'...

Aerox is an innovative ball-rolling adventure for the iPhone, packed with plenty of platforming action and physics-based puzzles! Dynamic and varied gameplay mechanics are complemented by stunning visuals for a blissfully engaging mobile experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is currently in the late stages of development and is expected to be in the App Store by June 2010.

Gameplay trailer now available!

You can find additional screenshots/info and stay up-to-date with the status of the game on our website. You can also follow our twitter account where more live updates and additional info will be posted.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to be back with more news as the game gets closer to release. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have in the meantime though!

2. Sqrudy

Sqrudy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Looks great! I am looking forward to the gameplay video.:)

3. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    This looks really incredible! Is there an option for touch controls or is it solely tilt?

I am now following you on Twitter @Touchgamer3g.

4. Synoptical

Thanks for the kind words!

Currently the game is controlled solely using the tilt sensor, but touch controls could possibly be added as an option actually. The tilt controls do work quite nicely though and I think that most people would likely opt for tilt rather than touch-based controls. It is worth thinking about though, especially if tilting the device is less preferable on the larger/heavier iPad... iPads aren't available here in the UK yet though, so we're still to find out about that!

5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Welcome to TA Synoptical!
    wht I see is interesting.... lets get ze ball rollin :D
    *Vid plz... hint cough hint*

6. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    That's good to know that you are considering touch controls to be added! Is there a calibration feature for tilt control?

7. Synoptical

Yep, tilt recalibration is already in so you're free to play while lying in bed, upside-down, or however you like!

Heh... pure cheese :)

8. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Looks great. Release date?

9. Synoptical

#9 Synoptical, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
    Should be released either this month or next month, if all goes to plan!

Main site has been updated with a few more details too btw...

10. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Awesome graphics. :)

11. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    So the ball reflects the sky and other surroundings? And your game runs these detailed graphics at 60 FPS? That's really impressive. You must have spent a lot of time building your 3D engine :)

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    This looks absolutely beautiful. Top effort with the graphics.

13. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Looks like a cross between Labyrinth and Jet Car Stunts. Awesome!

14. Synoptical

Glad you guys are liking what you see so far!

Yep, that is correct! On an iPhone 3GS (and 3rd Gen Touch), the game features realtime reflections that accurately reflect the surroundings at 60fps. Owners of earlier devices need not worry though as, although limited to sky-only reflections and running at 30fps, it still looks great!

Interesting comparison there :) JCS is one of my personal faves on the iPhone and I can certainly see the (unintended!) similarities in visual style. I suppose Aerox is a bit Labyrinth-y too, although the game design is deliberately a little different from those kind of games (Labyrinth, SMB, etc) in an effort to be more original. Your description is a good way of quickly describing the game though!

If anything, I'd say its like a cross between those games but with a healthy dose of inspiration from Mirror's Edge (both visually and gameplay-wise) too!

15. Synoptical

Just uploaded a few new screenshots... Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trailer/gameplay video coming later this week! Stay tuned! :)

16. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
  17. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Now if you can only fit a zombie somewhere ... <gag>

:)

Munkie!

18. Awesome! I missed this thread a month ago, and I've been hoping to see a Ballance/Switchball type of game come to the iPhone, and this does indeed look stunning. It doesn't appear to have the ball switching mechanic of the aforementioned pair, but even so, this looks like it's going to be a brilliant ball platformer, and I am definitely going to keep an eye on this. Are you guys still on track for release this month? And will there be any plans for swipe controls as an option to tilt? (I've never been a fan of tilt mechanics.)

19. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to this. Can't wait for the gameplay trailer. Looks like Spherez on candystand.com. What's the price tag supposed to be?

Thanks. Looks like a solid review deserving app!

20. Synoptical

Yep, definitely pushing for release this month! Did experience a few development hiccups which slowed things down slightly, but still feeling pretty good about releasing within the next few weeks... I just hope it doesn't get lost in all the WWDC/E3 news thats bound to start appearing soon!

Haven't made a final decision on pricing yet, but most likely to be $1.99 I reckon. Spherez sounds interesting, hadn't heard of that, might just have to check it out...

Heh :) Actually, as part of a stress-test of the physics engine, there was a ragdoll attached to the ball earlier during the game's development. Unlikely to make it into the final game though... not surprisingly, it pretty much breaks all of the physics puzzles... :)