★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is this website always meant for just iPhone gaming?

04-02-2009, 01:46 AM
#1
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,899
Is this website always meant for just iPhone gaming?

What happens when the Palm Pre comes around? Is there a spinoff website of Toucharcade for that? Or will a separate section be made?
04-02-2009, 01:48 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: You need to stalk me?
Posts: 2,117
Send a message via AIM to superbad
1) Wrong Forum
2) Look at the tagline: Keeping you in touch with the latest in iPhone GAMING

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **

04-02-2009, 01:51 AM
#3
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
1) Wrong Forum
2) Look at the tagline: Keeping you in touch with the latest in iPhone GAMING
Yeah I know that, but "Toucharcade" always seemed to be about the iPhone only because the iPhone was the only real touchscreen gaming device that was out at the time. I was just making sure.
04-02-2009, 01:52 AM
#4
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 947
Send a message via AIM to Phil_Synowiec Send a message via Skype™ to Phil_Synowiec
You dont bring the words "Palm Pre" in here haha
04-02-2009, 01:54 AM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
You never know...

They may start a sister site called "PalmArcade...giving you palm even if you don't want it"
04-02-2009, 01:57 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
What happens when the Palm Pre comes around? Is there a spinoff website of Toucharcade for that? Or will a separate section be made?
Perhaps someone with an interest in Palm Pre gaming and apps will create a website for Palm Pre fans.

Can't imagine Touch Arcade will devote a "separate section" to it. This forum has never catered to other handheld gaming devices or phones, and I'm hoping it never will...
04-02-2009, 01:57 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 389
The pre will not be a gaming platform, period. The SDK isn't native, apps are essentially web pages.

Plus, as a developer would you make a game for the iPhone audience who clearly buy games? Or the Pre with no user base?

Remember if you make an iPhone game it will run on iPod touch devices too.

Read about the Pre at www.roughlydrafted.com

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 574
Palm Pre as gaming device. Ha, ha, HAHAHAHA.

Palm might be bankrupt before the devices even ship.
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM
#9
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post
The pre will not be a gaming platform, period. The SDK isn't native, apps are essentially web pages.

Plus, as a developer would you make a game for the iPhone audience who clearly buy games? Or the Pre with no user base?

Remember if you make an iPhone game it will run on iPod touch devices too.

Read about the Pre at www.roughlydrafted.com
Sigh, people had all types of technical reason why games wouldn't run well on the iPhone until people start doing them on jailbroken 1.1.4 phones. I remember arguing back in those days on the iphonehacks.com forums.

If Palm wants to allow super intensive games on the device to compete, they can, and they aren't as stubborn as Apple was last year, surely.
04-02-2009, 02:04 AM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Sigh, people had all types of technical reason why games wouldn't run well on the iPhone until people start doing them on jailbroken 1.1.4 phones. I remember arguing back in those days on the iphonehacks.com forums.

If Palm wants to allow super intensive games on the device to compete, they can, and they aren't as stubborn as Apple was last year, surely.
I agree with this. Who's to say that Palm or even Blackberry with their own stores won't get gamers to develop for those platforms. Palm could rejuvenate its store with the Pre, and Blackberry certainly has the capital to put into own store and do whatever they want. I think it would be naive to think that no one else besides Apple can do this. Marketshare may mean something now for Apple, but unless there is constant innovation, others will definitely be waiting in the wings.