Dear Developers: This is the game that people want to play.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eatmosushi, Sep 1, 2009.

1. eatmosushi

eatmosushi Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 eatmosushi, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
    EDIT -

project in progress.

2. timb

timb Well-Known Member

That's a lot of words to describe Final Fantasy Tactics...

3. Apparently, I am not "people."

4. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    Congratulations, you've managed to post something clever on the internet.

5. timb

timb Well-Known Member

And you've managed to post something worthless and uncreative!

6. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    :eek:

no promo code for you when this gets made.

7. timb

timb Well-Known Member

That's cool, I actually have a job. You see, I get paid to be creative.

:cool:

8. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    @eatmosushi Have you tried Mecho Wars? That's my fav. TBS currently.

Also, I think I published a reply before to this thread, why isn't it here? Did I post it in the wrong thread?

9. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    HAH!

By your statement, you claim that you will have enough money to purchase the app when it is distributed, meaning you would

so

totally

buy this game.

10. timb

timb Well-Known Member

Nah, I already own a copy of Final Fantasy Tactics.

11. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    but not on your ipod!

12. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Bah, don't let them get you down. I'm impressed with your imagination and determination, and I noted before in a different thread that TBS games are near and dear to me. In my opinion the iPhone is a near perfect platform for turn based gameplay. I appreciate you sharing your ideas openly and in great detail, with hopes of getting something you really want to play in the end (just like that other forum member sharing all his Naruto/Ninja Clan ideas, some clever concepts for turn based play there too).

I agree this may not be everyone's cup of tea. But I can also say that I've bought and played Mecho Wars, War 3100, Uniwars, Reign of Swords... None of them really matches up to the experience I'm looking for either. Note that I'm not saying any of those are bad, far from it! Just not quite what scratches the itch... That would be something like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc. And yes, I own all of those on the GBA and DS already. I, like you, simply want a similar experience on the iPhone...

PM me again and share some more of your storyline. I have a trilogy of games in a very early design phase right now, one of them will definitely be tactics based. No promises of course, but if I think your plot outline's got potential maybe I can adapt ideas from it into something like your game envisioned here. :D

13. yas

yas Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Rōnin developer
    I guess the question is how much would anyone pay for this kind of app?

14. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    the game i envision would be 7.99 with a lite copy.

15. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    For that price, it better have some killer graphics and music. Solid gameplay alone won't help you get noticed through the clutter.

16. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Wow, super geek.
    I am honoured to meet you.

17. fetuscannon

fetuscannon Member

Aug 27, 2009
    California
    Any game above 4.99 doesn't really get a good look unless they are backed by a big name or good reputation. (IMO, anyways...)

18. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Good ideas, i enjoy the ride for a few minutes... and then... *thumps* back to reality.

Not trying to be negative, but almost all ideas are bad, really bad. 99.999999999% of ideas are very bad. Why? Because ideas are cheap. It takes secs to conjure up an idea and 99.9999999999% of ideas are just outright bad, borderline bad or secretly bad. The last type of bad is the most evil type. More on that later.

The problem with game ideas is that everyone thinks they have the best game idea. A lot of times, players think they are the best game designers in the world and suggests all kinds of ideas that they think the devs SHOULD implement. The truth is, the REAL game designers probably already thought about all those points and discarded them due to constraints or deeper incompatibilities with the game design that players are not privy to.

As they all like to say; The proof is in the pudding (or rather when you are eating it). Players don't design games for a living, game designers do. If you think you have the most fantastic game idea in the world, why not be a game designer? Miyamoto and Will Wright will be happy to crush you like a piece of worthless paper on the real arena.

Why are almost all ideas so bad? It's because there are very few good ideas and most people are lucky to come up with one original good idea in their lifetime. Most of the ideas people think are good almost inherently copied or leeched off some good ideas someone else came up before.

Look at the space shuttle. Isn't it a great idea to have a reusable vehicle just like the commercial jet planes that brought on the age of global travels? Sounds like a damn good idea but really, it is a deceptively bad idea that sounded good because it leeches off someone else's great jet plane idea. Look at what happened now? After uncountable billions, a couple of spectacular explosions and huge losses in some of our finest, we are back to a f**king rocket nose tin-can. Wow, sounds like the Russian's soyuz. The Russians are laughing their balls off, "stupid americans" (yup, that's what they are all thinking when they are shaking your hand).

19. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    ^Why don't you ask the Russian users at TA, i'm sure they would be delighted to answer :p

20. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    You know, with all the time you took to write that, you could have done something constructive with your life.

*thumbs up*

Rumor has it that a clever dev who will remained unmentioned is in the planning stages of giving this game some legs.

Stay tuned as I attempt to conquer procrastination and real life responsibilities.