X-plane Carrier?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Artfoundry, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I've been seeing mentions of X-plane Carrier in the other X-plane games (like Giant Fighting Robots and X-plane Trainer) but I can't find it on the itunes store. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Brendonian

Brendonian Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Laminar have frequently announced new apps prematurely on the splash page of their other apps like that. My guess is it'll be out in a week or so.

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    still in review I'd say. should be out in a couple days. might be looking forward to this one, a description says it involves shootings things..

4. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, I'm intrigued as well - would love a good combat flight sim - FAST and Ace Combat have been disappointing. But the name Carriers makes me wonder - X-Plane Combat I think would have been better if it's a combat sim. So then maybe it's just an aircraft carrier flight sim (flying jets normally on carriers)? But you said you read there's shooting - where did you read that?

5. AlanCart

AlanCart Active Member

Oct 23, 2009
    just read any of the descriptions of the current x planes on itunes, the part that talk about the tracking system to see other planes in your screen.

6. Brendonian

Nov 12, 2008
    Austin told me before they wouldn't do a combat flight sim. At least not on the PC/Mac. He's not comfortable with effectively training people to fly missions to kill.

I'm guessing Carrier will be just controlling the guns to defend a carrier.

On the other hand, I really wish he would do a combat sim :D

7. Evilmonkee

Evilmonkee Member

Dec 9, 2009
    The update description did seem to indicate some kind of combat, hence the target box. That might only be multiplayer though. Or it might actually be another form of shooting altogether, as in shooting traps (slang for carrier landings).

I don't really care if there is combat. I'm kind of excited for normal carrier operations (takeoff/landing). Should be a challenge.

8. flight_game_fanatic

flight_game_fanatic New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Ok, seriously, anyone know when we can expect Carrier to be released??

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    No doubt it will have a £2.99 release price with a rapid increase to £5.99

10. Evilmonkee

Evilmonkee Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Just came out today(US at least). $9.99 just like all the rest.

It does have combat.

Only tried it for a little bit so far. There are two maps, San Francisco(for training-no combat) and Hawaii(combat). Four planes: F4-U Corsair/A6M Zero, F-4 Phantom/Mig-21 Fishbed.

Combat mission consists of carrier takeoff, dogfight enemy(1v1 - F4UvZero or F4vMig), then land on carrier. Jets have AIM9 heatseekers as well as guns. The gun are the same for both jets and WWII aircraft. They sound something like a vulcan cannon with a high RoF.

Carrier ops are pretty much what you would expect. Nothing fancy. You do get text prompts to help line up and power setting. Carrier moves and turns. No pitching that I could tell. WWII planes have a flattop and the jets looks like a Nimitz class. There is a white light where the meatball would be on the modern carrier, but I never noticed it change color or do anything useful. While you can crash and burn(in all x-plane apps since 9.50), landing on the deck seemed pretty forgiving, but your landing is scored on the basis of AoA, heading, roll, and location.

Overall, pretty much what I was expecting from an x-plane app. The combat is very basic and not very interesting or challenging from what I can tell so far. Carrier ops are fun.

11. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    it's out

Just recently came out. Heard it was pretty good, but people are starting to complain about the repetitive 10 buck prices, so I don't know if its worth it...

12. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Yeah, I saw the posts. I'd be willing to pay $10 if it was a full fledged game. But it sounded from the posts that it concentrated more on the carrier takeoffs and landings than the combat (which was just 1 on 1 and not very difficult). Of course, with Ace Combat and the new FAST update, I think I'm covered on modern flight combat sims for a while (and of course there's always HAWX too).

13. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    It is worth it if you appreciate the excellance of the flight dynamics and simulation experience that you get from the X-Plane products. Just as in their PC product, It is more of an experience and simulation than a game.

14. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Yes, but FA-18 Hornet and Falcon were both simulations as well, but they were still fun combat flight sims/games. It is possible to have both, but I don't think the dev of X-plane is good at the game side - he's really more of a developer and math/physics expert than a game designer.

15. Grapeshot

Grapeshot Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Right now it's all about Skies of Glory guys. The Golden Age of the Combat Sim has returned!

16. theishkid

theishkid Well-Known Member

has anyone got the update yet? Does the F14 have wing sweep on it?

17. Brendonian

Nov 12, 2008
    Yes, and yes :)