Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #941 dumaz1000, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    Between Kid Icarus and Lego Batman DC Comic, there is a 3 month window in which nothing is coming out for the 3DS. There are 5 or 6 significant Vita games slated for a release within this same window. While the hardware sales are good, I would be interested to know how well third-party 3DS games, outside of Resident Evil Revelations, have sold. My guess is, not well. I think the tech is pretty awesome when utilized somewhere near it's full potential, but if you don't like 1st party Nintendo games, the future is a liitle hazy, even with the system sales.

There doesn't appear to be any FPS games in development. There doesn't appear to be any third-person open world games in development. There doesn't appear to be any more games of mature content in development. There doesn't appear to be more than a handful of non-Nintendo AAA franchise titles in development. What little there is seems to fall under the RPG heading. Like JRPG, turn-based stuff. Like Persona.

It's not as rosy as some people want to make it out to be.

There are three companies in particular that I'm looking to for the future. Renegade Kid, who developed the Dementium games and Moon, for the NDS, Nspace, who develops all of the significant action-oriented FPS games for the NDS, including GoldenEye and the Call of Duty ports, and the company that was responsible for Cop:The Recruit, for the NDS, and I believe Driver Renegade, for the 3DS (which stunk).

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Battleship is an FPS...

3. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I just saw Mario Tennis for 3DS slated for a May release on Amazon...

I doubt Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion will make it for their May release (according to Gamestop's preorder list) but fingers crossed!

4. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Looking forward to Spirit Camera.

Reminds me of Fatal Frame.

5. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
  6. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Or as dark as you think it is?

7. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Actually, High Voltage mentioned a while back that they were working on a version of Conduit for the 3DS. An early build was shown behind closed doors at one of the trade shows and it was reported to be near identical to the Wii version. Maybe they'll unveil it fully at this years E3?

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Kid Icarus: Uprising is going for only $30 new at BestBuy instead of $40 like every other retailer. Yes please.

9. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    So I just bought Kid Icarus: Uprising and I am really impressed, at least by the initial appearance and game-play. I was really worried about the controls, but the circle-pad, L button, and touchscreen really do work relatively well. It takes some getting used to, but it feels pretty natural after the first or second stage. There is an option to aim with the buttons on the right, but I found the touchscreen to be better, especially since I'm not used to duel sticks for First-Person Shooters (I play on PC.) I haven't gotten very far yet (Chapter 5 at the time of writing,) but the story is fairly generic with a few splashes of humor. (Palutena comments she may have a damaged eye from laser-eye surgery when trying to find Pandora, ect.) There are a fair number of weapons, and there are many modifiers, although I haven't seen much in the way of game-play changes they could create, but I'm still hoping. From what I've seen so far, the game's equivalent of skills seem somewhat of a bonus, as activating them means losing your stylus/aiming ability while you hit the icon. As far as the effects, there are some seemingly useless ones, but some do seem to help (the one that heals has helped me out in a pinch before.) I'm not one to comment graphics, mainly because I don't have enough experience with console-quality graphics, barring Final Fantasy XIII-2, Battlefield 3 (medium graphics on PC,) and a few others.

Overall a good game, and I would recommend it to basically anyone who likes a good action game. Oh, and I am very sorry if this post is kinda sloppy. I quickly typed it up so I could get back to playing :)

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Have you tried the multiplayer? That's actually what I'm looking forward to the most since it strongly resembles Brawl, except from a 3D perspective.

11. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Nope, I'm debating whether or not to finish the story or try it beforehand. Have you tried it yet?

12. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

13. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Wow!! Just tried multi-player and I'm loving it! It's fast paced and so far the rewards are pretty good.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #954 backtothis, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    Target just dropped the price of the 3DS to $145.

It's dropped over $100 in price in one year. That's really something.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    If Amazon matches this I might have to pick one up. I'm going to want my own once Paper Mario 3DS is out. :)

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #956 crunc, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  17. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Wow that's an incredible price at Target for a 3DS! Can't believe how much this thing has dropped in price!

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, I'm having to consider picking up a 2nd one for myself (the other one is my kids'). But maybe I'll be better off waiting even longer. The main game I want is Paper Mario 3DS, and that's not out yet. Other games are good too, I'm sure, but that's my favorite series ever (well, I didn't really play the Wii game, because they seemed to be trying to make it a platformer).

Plus there is something comically appropriate about a 3D Paper Mario game. :)

19. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Although I wouldn't say it was my favourite series, I would definitely say that 'Thousand Year Door' was one of my absolute favourite GameCube games... played through it a few times. Hopefully Paper Mario 3D is much like it.

20. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    #960 bmdino, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Haha, just got a good laugh today. One of my friends said that the magazine "Nintendo Power" rated the 3rd party support for the 3DS as "Very Good". Am I missing something here? The last time I checked, it was the polar opposite.

In other notes; I think I will buy the new Mario Tennis game. I loved the original, and the one on the Game-Cube probably is my most played game. I just hope they beef up the Multi-Player. Nintendo usually has really stale Multi-Player, their best is probably Pokemon, and that's still not exactly the best.